cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Top Rated Seller - I got scammed/ Ebay doesnt truly back its sellers

shoppa_the_hutt
Adventurer

So...I am a top rated seller on Ebay and have been for 5 years. I recently sold an expensive Funko Pop to an international buyer completely through ebay. Three months after the fact the buyer apparently went through their bank and disputed the charge as fraudulent/did not receive what they paid for..Both of the claims are absolutely false. So apparently the buyers bank gave the buyer their money back and because of that Ebay feels I need to pay them for the total sold amount and they allowed the buyer to keep the item!? I am getting screwed two ways here and Ebay says there is nothing they can do and I cannot earn anything on here until the amount is paid back...**bleep**....has anyone ever had something like this happen? Seems very unethical that Ebay is claiming there is nothing they can do and I owe them...

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

@shoppa_the_hutt 

Sorry this happened to you.  CC Chargebacks are really tough to prevail on.

The international sale - was it a direct sale internationally, thru GSP or thru a Freight Forwarder purchase?

Unfortunately, most CC companies allow 180 days from the date of the transaction - Amex, often longer.

You can try and reach out to e-bay CS on social media and send them a private message and see if they will assist you with an Appeal.

(7) eBay for Business | Facebook

Message button is in the upper right hand corner - send them a private message with the transaction number, your Seller ID and a brief summary of the issue(s).  Include your email address/phone number, so they can reach back out to you.

Good luck!

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Sorry this happened to you.   EBAY has no control over what the credit card company does.    When customer does "chargeback" the  credit card company allows customer to "keep item."    Unfortunately, there is nothing EBAY can do.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

EBay has no jurisdiction over a credit card company. None. If the buyer is suspect, then it is the buyer that is at fault here, not eBay. It’s true eBay will collect the $20 fee for the chargeback handling, but that is the extent of their involvement. It doesn't connote any control or authority.

Selling expensive items overseas can be risky. Sellers must decide their risk tolerance prior to listing. I sell internationally but exclude those countries with subpar postal systems, corrupt customs, and/or economic troubles.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

@fashunu4eeuh wrote:

It’s true eBay will collect the $20 fee for the chargeback handling, but that is the extent of their involvement. It doesn't connote any control or authority.

The $20 generally goes to the credit card issuer that initiated the claim.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

I am not sure of the current state of your particular chargeback but eBay did recently post a new policy regarding chargebacks. It is supposed to provide a semblance of seller protection although it has yet to be tested and proven. You may want to map your particular situation against the following and see how well eBay is standing behind this policy. 

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-policies/payment-dispute-seller-protections?id=5293 

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

@shoppa_the_hutt wrote:

.has anyone ever had something like this happen? 

Well yes, this scenario is noted almost daily in this forum.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

ebay screwed me similarly too.

a buyer received their item and they started lying

first they said they didnt receive what they paid for and wanted to return.

i said i don't accept returns,. then they said i sent them an empty box and no contents inside, which the shipping weight disproves them.

finally , since they saw they can't touch me from ebay, they charged back from their bank and of course ebay took my money away and now they'll keep the item.

their claim to their bank was again, DIFFERENT from every other claim they had before, and the claim was for "wrinkled packaging" lol

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

@testscent wrote:

ebay screwed me similarly too.

This entire thread is trying to explain that it's not ebay's fault when it comes to a chargeback. They have no say in the mater. In your case ebay denied the customers attempts to get a refund, so they did a chargeback. Why are you mad at ebay?

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 9 of 14
latest reply

This entire thread is trying to explain that it's not ebay's fault when it comes to a chargeback

@inhawaii 

While it is true that eBay has no way to prevent a buyer from using the chargeback feature, eBay DOES have control with regards to what they do about it.  

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote:

This entire thread is trying to explain that it's not ebay's fault when it comes to a chargeback

@inhawaii 

While it is true that eBay has no way to prevent a buyer from using the chargeback feature, eBay DOES have control with regards to what they do about it.  

If a buyers credit card company decides to proceed with a chargeback on a ebay purchase, what options does ebay have? 

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 11 of 14
latest reply

And, if you are considering a career as an eBay scammer, or any other e-commerce site for that matter, you need only to come to these boards to find out how to successfully do it in any number of ways, in great detail.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

is it THAT hard to become TRS though? 100 trouble-free transactions, something like that.

they give away that designation like candy, not that big of a deal tbh.

Chargebacks sucks, but the fact that you and I (and everybody else and their grandmothers) is TRS is irrelevant

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

I assume it went direct and not through eBay's Global Shipping Program (GSP).

If it had gone through GSP, I think eBay could/would be more helpful.

We've been using it for a couple years and have had a few issues, but eBay took care of them, in full. I know a lot of sellers don't like GSP, but you might want to consider it in future.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply