cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This feels like phishing to me. Any ideas?

I just posted a new listing tonight and received an odd email an hour later.
See below:
---
Hey, just wanted to give you a heads-up about a little snag I hit with the 'Buy Now' option on your item. I've tried to make the payment several times, but I keep getting an error message saying the payment was rejected. After chatting directly with the tech support team, they explained that this issue is pretty common with new accounts like mine. Seems like some seller accounts, like yours, aren't set up to accept immediate payments from very new accounts yet. They suggested I reach out to you and share this link where you could sort out this payment glitch for new or recent accounts, making the purchasing process a lot smoother for new users interested in your items, like myself.
"Paste this link into your browser by copying and pasting."

I'm still keen on attempting the payment again if the solution they provided proves effective. Please keep me updated.
----
Of course, I'd love to sell my item but something feels off about this.  I'm not visiting that website and it honestly makes no sense. Has anyone else run into this?

Thank you for your time.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

It is a scam @ahollis70 . Do not click that link. Report the message and block the member.

reportmessage.png

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Thanks. I appreciate it.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Scammers target anyone selling "high value items" (especially electronics).   You should be aware that anyone can "reverse credit payment" AFTER they receive your item (keep item and your money).   EBAY will NOT protect if you get scammed. 

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Well that sucks. Is there a way around this as a seller? 

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

The only way I know of is to pray the buyer is honest.   Most of them are but there is always that 1% who are not.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

@ahollis70 wrote:

Well that sucks. Is there a way around this as a seller? 

Yeah, start out as a buyer and buy until you are so familiar with purchasing that you've pretty much forgotten about selling... Then, start out by selling small low dollar things, basically stuff around the house you no longer want or have use for.

Learn to walk before you run.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Nice to see somebody coming to this board BEFORE they had a major issue. Your instincts serve you well this is a SCAM. Never click on a link a buyer sends you in a message. Any problems a buyer may be having with paying for an item is on their end and is a problem with THEIR account not yours. Don't respond to the buyer as  wastingtime101 mentioned, report the message and add the person to your BBL. 

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/resolving-buyer-issues/blocking-buyer-ebay?id=4082 

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

You asked:  "Is there a way around this as a seller?" When you have high value items, the only way around this situation is to sell locally on facebook or craigslist for example.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Good instincts....

and, just to make sure your curiousity doesn't get the best of you.....

Screenshot from 2023-01-24 09-55-58.png

"...i'm still keen on?..."   hahaha

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

I would suggest selling as pick-up only. Buyer pays then after inspection and testing. Your local police station probably offers an area for such transactions. 

That is an expensive / high target for scammers. 

More than likely, you sell and ship. Then the buyer is going to open a case. 

You can always review the buyer's profile, feedback, and Google their location. Maybe entertain signature required. Scammers don't like signing for things. 

Beware of freight forwarders. If your offering international shipping, only use eBay international shipping service. My understanding is they will protect you. 

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

FYI as a follow up not sure what email service provider your message came through but if it was a gmail account you can report the scammer to Google and they will delete the account. Of course they will probably just get another one but at least it slows them down for awhile. Following is the link to the report form. 

https://support.google.com/mail/contact/abuse 

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

general question

I'm not clicking on it, but should that link remain in the OP's initial post?

What happens if some silly soul clicks on it?

@monica-sells   is that what your post is about?  .............  Clicking on the link?

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

The mods have edited it out it appears, so it's all good now.  I agree it was probably risky to include it, but how else would we have been able to confirm it was a scam site?

Message 14 of 14
latest reply