cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking its time to leave Ebay as seller and buyer for good.

After 20 years I have bought tens of thousands in merchandise and sold thousands. During the past year, 2020 I have had so much trouble with bad transactions that I feel its time to leave Ebay behind. The way Ebay has evolved into an uncaring market place really makes me feel foolish to spend my money and time with it. I have read so many of these stories in past 20 years never believing I would be one of them. This last item I sold as new is now being returned because the buyer "Didn't like it" and now its used, worth less and with all the fees I have to pay It may cost me more money than its worth to go through the reselling process. I may end up paying more than 50% of the cost of the item, losing money, of the item's worth. Ebays response is too bad.  My response may be bye bye.

I feel so unwanted and unvalued. 

If Ebay believes this is okay, they may be "A sucker born everyday" but I don't need to be one anymore. 

Seriously thinking Ebay may not be worth it anymore 

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Hi,

I see that the most recent item you sold is a watch. Your return policy on that listing states that you accept returns within 14 days with the buyer responsible for paying for return shipping. 

Other users may disagree, but I believe that if a person is not a high-volume seller or a business that can afford to lose money to returns, your return policy should be "no returns".

Why?

Because then you wouldn't be forced to accept "buyer's remorse" returns—these include the return reasons "Didn't like it" and "Does not fit". You would have been able to deny their return. And iff the buyer had left you negative feedback for denying the return, you could contact eBay customer service and have the feedback removed since your listing would have clearly stated "no returns."

You may be concerned that if you choose a "No Returns" policy, the buyer may circumvent it by falsely opening an "Item Not As Described" case to get their money back. However, that is always an inherent risk of selling on eBay, regardless of whether or not you accept returns.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

The buyer is outside of your return window for that Dec 2 sale. You do not have to take the return for a buyer’s remorse.

The catch-22 is that if the buyer paid thru PayPal, they have 180 days from the sale date to open a case there if they want, and they still have a couple of weeks to open one on eBay for Item Not As Described. Most buyers are honest, though. And you have in your messages that it is a buyer’s remorse.

It sounds to me like you are worn out. Maybe you take a break, examine alternatives. Recharge. Ebay will always be here.

As you well know, selling online is a gamble. Only you can say what your risk tolerance is. But if push came to shove, if they open a case, you refund anyway and be done with it. Good luck, let us know what you decide.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Don’t take it personally - eBay is a facilitator, not a family member.  

You get fees back with a return.  You can still sell as new, if that buyer hasn’t removed the tags, right?  You won’t lose 50% of the value.  

Don’t look for affirmation from a corporate entity- it never ends well.  Love your friends and family - treat and view eBay for what it is.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply