cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Subject is not for resale

I got this Christmas present for from a family member and I really don't like the perfume and I want to know if I can resell it it says not for resale so I would like to know if I can sell it because I don't like the perfect in a consignment shop

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Considering what you have invested, just give it away.

"Fly the Big Ones"
Message 2 of 22
latest reply

Not for resale means exactly that.

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

@yvonnreit-3

Not a good idea.

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

"Not for resale" is a maningless phrase used to discourage retailers from selling items they were given as promotional items.  Say you buy a large widget A and the vendor includes a small widget B to hand out to your customer as an added incentive to purchase widget A. Those smaller items are often marked "not for resale".  But of course it has no legal meaning, although a vendor might cut you, the retailer, off if they catch you selling or advertising the item. I have sold many an item on Ebay marked "not for resale".  Of course when dealing with a fashion brand the company might complain to Ebay regarding VERO regardless of right or wrong.

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

@m60driver wrote:

"Not for resale" is a maningless phrase used to discourage retailers from selling items they were given as promotional items.  Say you buy a large widget A and the vendor includes a small widget B to hand out to your customer as an added incentive to purchase widget A. Those smaller items are often marked "not for resale".  But of course it has no legal meaning, although a vendor might cut you, the retailer, off if they catch you selling or advertising the item. I have sold many an item on Ebay marked "not for resale".  Of course when dealing with a fashion brand the company might complain to Ebay regarding VERO regardless of right or wrong.

Bingo.  It has zero meaning to an individual who receives the item with the marking, it just means that the vendor or distributor is not allowed to sell the item for profit.  I used to work at Gamestop and we would frequently receive boxes of bonus items like soundtrack CDs, keychains, etc. to give out to people who bought a particular game.  We weren't allowed to sell those items; they were given to us by the manufacturer to be given away for free as a promotion.  However, if someone who bought a game and received one of those items then wanted to go on and sell it, they would be free to.

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

The "not for resale" you see means that was a promotional freebie gift with another purchase.  It means that it can't be sold in the store alone, it can only be given away when the other item is purchased.

It does not apply to the grey or third party marketplace, but as another poster mentioned, the brand company might get their knickers in a twist and file a VERO notice.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 7 of 22
latest reply

You can sell it. “Not for resale” has nothing to do with you, the individual. It is neither illegal or against eBay policy to sell that item here. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 8 of 22
latest reply

Usually when an item is marked not for resale, it was probably a promotional item or a store display.

It pretty much means that the retail store can't sell it.

Have a safe Memorial Day weekend.
Message 9 of 22
latest reply

"Not for resale means exactly that."

No, it doesn't.

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

@yvonnreit-3

When I said not a good idea, I was thinking of the VERO side of it.

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

Perfume is flammable.

So you couldn't ship it unless you use Ground.

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

One of the lines Teachers use dot give us in school many years ago applies to most of these question.  When we would ask 'Can I go to the bathroom?'  The reply was '  Well, at your age, I certainly hope you can, but you may not'.  The difference was ability versus permission.

You probably 'can' list it, but it may be pulled and your account sanctioned if the designer brand says you do not have permission to.

When in doubt, leave it out.

Give it to someone for Valentine's Day or a birthday.

Then again, to know that you don't like it, does that mean you've opened it?  If so, that adds to the problem since you can't sell opened perfumes.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 13 of 22
latest reply

"you can't sell opened perfumes"

False.

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

@sam9876 wrote:

"Not for resale means exactly that."

No, it doesn't.

As a buyer if I received an item that was not meant for resale, you would get a big negative for it.

And I am sure the Vero member would not appreciate it.
Message 15 of 22
latest reply