cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Specifics

Is it just me or is everyone else sick of the ridiculous Specifics? Every time I think I am finally done with having to fill out new specifics spaces for an item eBay adds another one or two and what is so aggravating about it is that usually the new ones are for things that are already in the title and descriptions!

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Specifics

I ended all the affected listings that were asking to update specifics I just don't have time to deal with them all. I'll list other stuff but I am not going to waste hours updating the ones they changed categories and are still working on more specifics update till the 19th so don't do any of them right now.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Specifics

The Item Specifics are supposedly not aimed at buyers, but at Google and other search engines.

That buyers can also use them is a bonus.

There is a place on the Update form that tells eBay not to remind you.

It is also often possible to enter N/A in the text boxes , but not always.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Specifics

Yes, very sick of and usually the specifics being asked have nothing to do with what is listed.  I am amazed at the number of items with number of "blades".

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Specifics

My item specifics topic field is being auto changed by ebay to SPACE, my items have nothing to do with space.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Specifics

I just make stuff up, or put N/A or none in as a custom value.  

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Specifics

Yes! I put all the info I have when doing the original listing and many times the specifics that are being asked for don't even apply to the item. Total waste of time going back over and over and checking the "don't remind me" button.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Specifics

They are time consuming to update and I'm finding that most of them already have that info in my title and specs. They just have a different title to them. Like do I have to really add "cross" under shape when I am selling what is obviously a cross? SMH. Or necklace under "type" when it is obviously a necklace.

I noticed today that all my nativities are now under "ornaments". Might be true for one or two but certainly not for every one of them. Can we really classify and 8" x 7" nativity as an ornament? They are killing my joy for my business. Very sad.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Specifics

I sell antique glassware and have been updating my item specifics every now and then, not in any hurry as these (supposedly) won't be required until Feb., 2022. I am making sure to complete the mandatory specifics, but only doing a handful of recommended specifics for each item that is updated. Some of my active listings are not giving me the notification to update.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Specifics

@whiskersb wrote:

Is it just me or is everyone else sick of the ridiculous Specifics? Every time I think I am finally done with having to fill out new specifics spaces for an item eBay adds another one or two and what is so aggravating about it is that usually the new ones are for things that are already in the title and descriptions!

Actually, it doesn't hurt to add an item specific that is in the title and again in the description.

That's assuming you want search engine traffic, of course.

Three is the magic number here.

The ones that frustrate me are the ones that are completely irrelevant.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Specifics

“Actually, it doesn't hurt to add an item specific that is in the title and again in the description.

That's assuming you want search engine traffic, of course.

Three is the magic number here.

The ones that frustrate me are the ones that are completely irrelevant.”

Same.  I don’t mind putting in multiple item specifics, even if they are in the title and description, if they make sense.

What I really, really mind are the item specifics that are, like you have said, “completely irrelevant”. Even worse when it is a required or recommended specific and the endless drop down choices are total nonsense for the requested specific. It’s like some AI tried to fill in a bunch of random,, possibly related terms for a doll.

Ebay has replaced a logical, orderly system for finding antique/vintage/hobby items with an illogical system that does not work.  Even if Google can “index” these items better now, what good does that do when people won’t search for the irrelevant and nonsense item specifics on Google either?

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Specifics

The Item Specifics are not for our human customers. Those customers  come to eBay and put words in the Search bar.

The IS are for search engines which can't see the pictures and may not understand the words in titles and descriptions.

I'm a bit old fashioned. My descriptions tend to be fairly detailed and also repeat information in the Title as well as in IS. 

Nothing annoys me more than an empty description box, or one with "see pictures".

Actually what does annoy me more is a ten word description followed by a thousand words about Terms of Sale which are mostly either eBay standard and a waste of time or not applicable and a waste of time.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply