cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Specific Variations Not Showing In Search Results

I have some assorted brands shirts listed and some show up in search results when I click on their specific size and some do not.  I'd think that they would all show up under their brands as their size if that is what I have clicked on (e.g. - Mens Levi's Shirt, Medium).  Does anyone have insight or information on why it is only showing size for some of the shirts in search results?

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Can you give some examples please.  I don't see any variation listings you have active for sale, unless I overlooked them.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 2 of 21
latest reply

I don't have any variation listings now.  I have them listed separately.  I feel they get more views and have a better chance at selling, as that has been proven the past week or so.  Thank you for the reply, though.

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

I use variation listings all the time.  I like them a lot.

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

I like variations when it's the same brand, but with assorted brands, especially with clothing, it can be harder to find the individual items in search.

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

It is likely that mixing those brands on one variation listing is against the variation rules anyway.

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

If that is the case, I wasn't aware of it.  If I do variations now, I just usually stick with the same brands that I have.  I don't know if it's timing or just random, coincedence or what, but lately I have been getting more sales and views with the singular listings.  I tend to relist after a 4 or 5 days if items do not get any views, but this time when I relisted - boom - a few sales and more views, as they are all at the moment singularly listed.

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

That may be because you were trying to mix brands on a variation listing.

On a variation listing every item is suppose to be related.  Meaning you have a specific type of Tshirt and it comes in various colors and / or sizes.

I do it with my beading stuff mostly.  So I get a certain bead in that comes in different shapes and sizes.  Or a specific bead that comes in different colors.  Stuff like that.  

But we aren't suppose to put unrelated things together and just because you have a long sleeve shirt doesn't mean you should use a variation listing for all the brands you may have and sizes.  That would be a mess and of course it is against the rules for using a variation listing.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/listings/creating-managing-listings/creating-listings-variations?i...

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

Thanks for the extra information.  I think I read that a while back, but I didn't see where we're not supposed to list variations with different brands. 

I wouldn't do it again even if we could, because like you noted, it's a hot mess and it doesn't appear in the search pages correctly.  I'm OCD about listings, and it bugged me enough to not do that again.  I like it where buyers can search my clothing through size, sleeve length, patterns, type, etc.

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

I doubt it days that specifically.

Wow, I just re-read the policy as I too have not read it for a long time and it doesn't say anything about it.  I will look for a bit more clarification on this and let you know what I find out.  It could take me a couple of days.

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

I appreciate your efforts.  I'm patient, so if it takes a bit of time, then so be it. 

I have seen from time to time, a listing for different brands, but it's in a LOT (i.e. Lot of 6 brands with the same size, etc), but I don't like selling clothing under LOTS because the profit is commonly much less.

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

I personally think it is a mistake to sell different brands in a variation listing.  I think it would only confuse a buyer.

Lots can be a great way to sell stuff.  Especially inventory you are just trying to move out so you have more room for something else.  However when I've done it, I've done fine on profit.  A big thing is shipping is much cheaper.  But it can be done and buyers like lots especially in clothes and books.

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

I'm not sure specifically why, but in my experience Lots never seemed to work for me as they'd sit for several months with little to no interest.  I'd even run sales, coupons, etc, and nothing made any difference.

I have always felt it is different experiences for different sellers.  I feel if a buyer wants something, they'll buy it.  I've seen clothing sales when searching for sold items where the seller was selling the item for a price I'd never pay or charge nearly triple in shipping, etc.  

I'll probably at least try the variation listings with the same brand and see how it does now, as I seem to be picking up in sales again.  I sell for a bit of profit, not to just get rid of something.

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

IMHO the best time for clothes is August / September.  People preparing for back to school.  I use to sell off my kids clothes when they grew out of them.  But now they are adults, so I haven't done that in quite a while.

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

I have never sold kids clothes on eBay, as my kids were nearly grown by the time I signed up for an account (2012). 

For men's shirts, it's a random hit and miss.  Sometimes the months I do well with, the next year isn't near as good.  I feel this time of the year is decent in sales as people are getting tax returns, etc. 

I can go a few weeks not selling much, then all of a sudden get a few sales in just a matter of a couple of days.  I honestly feel it's random for me.

Message 15 of 21
latest reply