cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I overcharge my items or be fair?

So there's some items I got from another store that had some items that were out of stock, in this case, there were some wagons from the Bachmann Thomas range that were sold out from major retailers (I paid only $22 each, and sold them at the retail price, which is $32-33). I sold 3 of them and made $30 extra along with how much I bought them for. However, my grandmother said to me that I should've sold them for $50 and was upset that if I want to sell as a part time job that I should charge the items extra because what would happen if they aren't around to pay bills and I have do everything as I'm the oldest brother.

But the problem is that if I charge the items I bought for too much, then someone would yell at me for selling it too high, or worse report me. Like what happened last month that I was selling an item I didn't want anymore and charge it for the amount I paid for it, and someone lashed out on me for overcharging it, even though it was how much I paid for it in the first place.

So when is it that I can sell something for a fair bargain, and when is it a good time to sell something for a higher price?
Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

You price your items at whatever you think the market will bear, based on whatever research you've done.

No one can report you for charging too high a price (unless you're taking advantage of something like the coronavirus and selling masks at an exorbitant price--that's different). If a buyer "lashed out" at you for "overcharging," that just means they were trying to bully you into giving them a discount. Ignore them.

Remember that you can always lower the price of an item if it's not selling, or accept a lower offer from a potential buyer, or make a lower offer to a watcher, etc. There are a lot of ways to lower the price of an item if you think you've listed it too high. It's better to lower a price that's too high than to sell it and realize you could have sold it for more.

Message 2 of 26
latest reply

Would you rather be chastised by grandma or by a stranger? Grandma is right: In a capitalistic society in general, and  in eBay in particular, you should charge whatever the market will bear.   You're selling optional stuff, not insulin. Most sellers on eBay are here to make as much profit as possible.

Message 3 of 26
latest reply

You have. to follow your own conscious regarding pricing I took a look at your listing and I am unfamiliar with you current inventory so I am perhaps not the best judge for that other responses from board can help you with you primary question.
Going on a limb here - sounds grandma may be overwhelmed and wants you to get a job to help out with household expense. Is that possible? just a feeling however I may be totally off the mark.

Why else would she are what you charge for your eBay items?

Message 4 of 26
latest reply

But the problem is that if I charge the items I bought for too much, then someone would yell at me for selling it too high, or worse report me. Like what happened last month that I was selling an item I didn't want anymore and charge it for the amount I paid for it, and someone lashed out on me for overcharging it, even though it was how much I paid for it in the first place.

You need to develop a thick skin if you want to be successful on eBay. Ignore those who chastise you. It's none of their business how you price your items. There is no such thing as "fair" on eBay, when it comes to pricing. Get as much money as you can.

Message 5 of 26
latest reply

If someone  "chastises" you, delete the e-mail, block te person and move on.

Message 6 of 26
latest reply

someone would yell at me for selling it too high

So what?  I mean that seriously. Why would you care what a stranger thinks of your prices?

or worse report me

Report you to who? And for what? I don't recall any reports of eBay taking action over the price of a toy.

Like what happened last month {snip} someone lashed out on me

Again .. So what? Why would you care what a stranger thinks of your prices?

Message 7 of 26
latest reply

Get as much as you can.  Just don't be a price gouger.  😃

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 8 of 26
latest reply

Look, I've been there, trying to make a "reasonable" profit on hot items.  What you don't understand yet is that no price is low enough for some people.  All you'll do is make more work for yourself dealing with poorer and needier customers.  Frankly, if you have these types sending snotty messages already, I'd _raise_ prices.  Let them wail and gnash their teeth at somebody else.

Message 9 of 26
latest reply

Your grandmother is correct.

Do the math.  Subtract the fees you were charged, and the initial cost of the item, and you will see that you are wasting your time.

Message 10 of 26
latest reply

@20_percent_awesome wrote:
So there's some items I got from another store that had some items that were out of stock, in this case, there were some wagons from the Bachmann Thomas range that were sold out from major retailers (I paid only $22 each, and sold them at the retail price, which is $32-33). I sold 3 of them and made $30 extra along with how much I bought them for. However, my grandmother said to me that I should've sold them for $50 and was upset that if I want to sell as a part time job that I should charge the items extra because what would happen if they aren't around to pay bills and I have do everything as I'm the oldest brother.

So when is it that I can sell something for a fair bargain, and when is it a good time to sell something for a higher price?

Buy for $22, sell for $32, after fees you will have made a gross profit of just over $5 each, barely worth the time and effort in my opinion.

Message 11 of 26
latest reply

Considering everybody is saying my grandmother is right, I should overcharge all of the items I have in my store for a higher price as people are saying I'm not trying hard enough.

Message 12 of 26
latest reply

In addition to the good advice you've already received, I want to add one suggestion.  Remove the Best Offer option from most or all of your listings.  Do you really want to waste time with offers on items priced at $2 or $5?  

Message 13 of 26
latest reply

@20_percent_awesome wrote:

Considering everybody is saying my grandmother is right, I should overcharge all of the items I have in my store for a higher price as people are saying I'm not trying hard enough.

Listing for a reasonable amount is not "overcharging".

You can not "overcharge" on an asking price, as no one is required to buy it.

If I buy an item for $1, and list it for $28 ( average selling price)  I am not "overcharging".  I am making a profit.

Message 14 of 26
latest reply

Every seller has their own way of pricing things.  Here's mine.

The LOWEST i will sell a item for is: After all fees and expenses, i have to at least double my money. 

The MOST i will sell an item for is: As much as i possibly can. 

If i get a good deal on a item(s), i'm not going to pass the savings on to my buyers. I'm going sell it for as much as i can. 

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 15 of 26
latest reply