cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I open an unpaid case if buyer doesn’t wanna pay the shipping two days later?

Basically I accepted an offer two days ago, haven’t gotten paid but been patient, and now the buyer is messaging me telling me I should switch shipping to first class for $5 insisting it qualifies for first class when it actually doesn’t because it’s over the weight limit. I’ve told him that unfortunately priority is the cheapest I can do on this package and heard nothing back yet. If I hear nothing back should I open a Unpaid item case? It’s close to over 48 hours and I did everything correct in my listing, I don’t wanna eat a fee and potential strike just because he skimmed over shipping when he made the offer. I even told him he can send a cancellation  request and I’d be fine with that if he finds the shipping unagreeable. I’m still rather new so I don’t know if this would be an appropriate reason to open the unpaid case.

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Should I open an unpaid case if buyer doesn’t wanna pay the shipping two days later?

@toptierferret wrote:

Basically I accepted an offer two days ago, haven’t gotten paid but been patient, and now the buyer is messaging me telling me I should switch shipping to first class for $5 insisting it qualifies for first class when it actually doesn’t because it’s over the weight limit. I’ve told him that unfortunately priority is the cheapest I can do on this package and heard nothing back yet. If I hear nothing back should I open a Unpaid item case? It’s close to over 48 hours and I did everything correct in my listing, I don’t wanna eat a fee and potential strike just because he skimmed over shipping when he made the offer. I even told him he can send a cancellation  request and I’d be fine with that if he finds the shipping unagreeable. I’m still rather new so I don’t know if this would be an appropriate reason to open the unpaid case.

If your priority shipping and price are in the listing, then it's on him to read that. He's asking you for something that's not in the listing, and yes do open an unpaid case if he doesn't pay for his item.

C.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

I think there's no longer the need to open an Unpaid Item case. After 5 days, eBay will ask if you want to Cancel the order... you'll get your FVFs back and have the 'go-ahead' to relist. The buyer will get a UPI strike. Brass tacks=it's automated now.

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

@toptierferret wrote:

If your priority shipping and price are in the listing, then it's on him to read that. He's asking you for something that's not in the listing, and yes do open an unpaid case if he doesn't pay for his item.

C.

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

Before you start the Unpaid Item Dispute, ask him politely if, since the item cannot be shipped first class, he would prefer to cancel the transaction.

If he agrees, a cancellation is much faster than a UID, which takes from six to eight days to complete.

The drawback to cancelling is the customer can leave feedback. With a UID he can't.

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

the buyer is messaging me telling me I should switch shipping to first class for $5 insisting it qualifies for first class

How much does the parcel weigh?  Through e-Bay shipping you can ship up to 15.9oz and still ship 1st class.

Bottom line - shipping (applicable) is either stated/shown in every listing or it is Free.  Once it ends, a buyer has zero say in what that stated cost is.  How much are you haggling about $3-4?  Sorry, but I would let it work its' way thru e-Bay system for the UPI and let it cancel.  This is so one for the BBL.  

It is bad enough when Buyers want to *haggle before the sale....after is so not cool.  (btw, I could see if this was REALLY heavy and you needed to decide UPS, Fedex, USPS ground and it was needed quickly, but at the cheapest way to ship.  But a Buyer haggling over a few dollars between 1st class and Priority seems absurd, at least to me)

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 5 of 17
latest reply

It weighs nearly 2 lbs so first class is definitely off the table. Due to his distance from me it’s about 7 dollars more than first class would be. I’m just a bit irked since we were speaking literally right before I accepted his offer. Now two days later he’s bringing up the shipping. 

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

So sorry then - as others suggested as well - let it run its' course with e-Bay for non-payment and cancel.  I personally would not even engage further in emails or discussion.  If he is this much trouble now, he will be more once the transaction unfolds if you convince him to finalize and pay.  Just my 2 cents. 

We're about a month out from a blood moon - if it is this nutty now with buyers, can only imagine as we get to the end of May with the 21st cut off and blood moon too.

OP - so very sorry.  Hoping it cancels soon for non-payment, this buyer gets his meanie-strike and it re-sells to someone who is no hassles, no haggling.......good luck!  

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 7 of 17
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

Before you start the Unpaid Item Dispute, ask him politely if, since the item cannot be shipped first class, he would prefer to cancel the transaction.

If he agrees, a cancellation is much faster than a UID, which takes from six to eight days to complete.

The drawback to cancelling is the customer can leave feedback. With a UID he can't.

If he wants to cancel the transaction because he doesn't like the shipping charge, I would think feedback would be removable, especially if he hasn't even paid. My understanding is that feedback doesn't stick when the buyer doesn't pay because it's not reasonable to get a neg from someone who isn't even paying for their item (at least I would certainly fight this). Otherwise anyone can buy an item, not pay, and leave bad feedback. Think of what that could do if it were possible...

C.

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

@toptierferret wrote:

It weighs nearly 2 lbs so first class is definitely off the table. Due to his distance from me it’s about 7 dollars more than first class would be. I’m just a bit irked since we were speaking literally right before I accepted his offer. Now two days later he’s bringing up the shipping. 

I don't know how big it is, but does it fit into a flat rate bubble mailer? That will cost you 7.76 on ebay (which for me is only $2 more than first class if I have a 15 oz parcel).

C.

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

You pay $7.76 because you're a Top Rated Seller. The regular online rate, which is $8.00, is still a good value if the item will fit.

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

No that’s not an option. The item in question is a Nintendo switch lite along with a charger. Too much risk of the package being damaged with that method, so I packed it into an unmarked box with plenty of protective measures.

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

I ended up cancelling and selling it to someone else after the buyer made a vague threat to send it back if he even found the slightest issue with it. So it worked out in the end, not someone I’d wanna sell to at all if they make vague threats when they don’t get their way. I appreciate the help!

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

@toptierferret wrote:

No that’s not an option. The item in question is a Nintendo switch lite along with a charger. Too much risk of the package being damaged with that method, so I packed it into an unmarked box with plenty of protective measures.

I "box" items, and then put them in the "flat rate bubble mailer".

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

You pay $7.76 because you're a Top Rated Seller. The regular online rate, which is $8.00, is still a good value if the item will fit.

Interesting. It's $8 for me on Stamps.com, but I only use that service when I'm not shipping an eBay item. I just assumed eBay had better prices (which hasn't always been the case... international shipping on Stamps.com used to be $8.91 to England, now it's like $14).

C.

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

@toptierferret wrote:

I ended up cancelling and selling it to someone else after the buyer made a vague threat to send it back if he even found the slightest issue with it. So it worked out in the end, not someone I’d wanna sell to at all if they make vague threats when they don’t get their way. I appreciate the help!

Glad this worked. Making threats to send things back if there's a problem is code for "I'm going to send it back regardless".

Hopefully you won't get feedback, but if you do get negged/neutral, come back here. We'll tell you what to put in your request for removal (which you can do under Help and Contact). Calling eBay isn't necessary for this.

C.

Message 15 of 17
latest reply