cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling car, audio, video magazines internationally? Thoughts?

Any thoughts on international interest of the following?
American car related would have interest?  

I have subscriptions and news-stand issues all the way back to 1970.

• Audio 
  • Stereo Review
  • Dodge Viper Quarterly
  • Studebaker Driver's Club Newsletter
  • Avanti Owner's Association International Newsletter
  • Hot Rod, Car Craft, Road & Track, Popular Hotrodding, Turbo & High Tech, etc.
Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

You won't know until you try. I sell different 'old paper' stuff, but 33% of my sales are going abroad.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

A few years ago, eBay began blocking members ability to see buyer's IDs on Sold listings and Feedback.
So we can not determine if a buyer of someone's elses item was international.
Just list your items domestically and enroll in the eBay International Shipping program.
International buyers just may come out of the woodwork and pleasantly surprise you.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

@tomatbay 

The three that I suspect would have the greatest interest for international (or even domestic) buyers would be:  Dodge Viper Quarterly; Studebaker Driver's Club Newsletter; and Avanti Owner's Association International Newsletter.  Those three are more specialized, and don't have as wide a circulation.

The issues of AUDIO and STEREO REVIEW may have potential, as well, but are more easy to acquire.

As for the other automotive magazines -- those may be a real hard sell, again due to heavy accessibility.

And the killer ingredient for ALL international sales of magazines is shipping fees -- magazines need to be VERY special or rare for international buyers to pop for those high shipping fees.

Give it a try, though -- and good luck!

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

I've heard eBay's GSP (Global Shipping Program) rates are extremely high - and there appears to be no way to determine them.

I had a sweet heart deal with UPS with 70% on international shipping, but due to inactivity thru Covid, I think I don't have it any more.  USPS was always the cheapest international shipping.

I suspect shipping USPS international may be cheaper for buyer than GSP but I don't know.

Yes, I thought the car club stuff would be a better sale.  But frankly, I'm 71 and have about 3000 issues, I just don't have the handling time.  I have a 82 year old Studebaker friend that wants the SDC and AOAI collections - I think I'll just give them to him.  The thought of the effort to sell and ship makes me cringe (!)

Part of my motivation to sell is if something is irreplaceable and should be preserved.  Unfortunately, everything in that list will not be missed if it "disappears."  However, I WILL sell all my Playboy Magazines!  They must be preserved!  LOL  (hum... wonder what the implications of selling them internationally?  seems could end up in a lot of trouble, LOL)

Message 5 of 5
latest reply