cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sellers will never win a CC dispute and buyers are abusing this

Buyer contacts me wanting to return item that didn’t fit with what she wanted it for.  I said sure, but since nothing was wrong with the item, she would have to pay return shipping.  She emails me a week later, saying item was returned.  After 2 weeks I never received item and never heard from her.  I figured she decided to keep the item.  A few days later I receive an email from PayPal saying she filed not as described and filed with her CC institute for a charge back.  I provided proof of her saying that she wanted to return it even though there was nothing wrong with the item.  End result, CC company ALWAYS sides with buyer.  She keeps item, and doesn’t have to pay for it or send it back.  I am out $85, (guess it could be worse), and the item.   The scary part is, ANY buyer can do this and they do NOT have to provide any proof of anything.  This could have been a $1,000 item.....Ebay and PayPal are not obligated to do anything to protect sellers against this because it’s filed with the buyers CC.  It really makes you think twice about selling anything of value on here .  No insurance, no tracking, no email proof, will do anything to protect you.  Credit card companies are going out of their way to make it very well known that if you as a customer don’t like something you bought, or are not 100% satisfied with your purchase, just file a chargeback.  I know with my credit card, it literally takes less then 5 minutes.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

This is true as is the buyer saying it's broken so they get a full refund. They wait long enough and ebay rules in their favor.

Customer bought something. They email saying it's broken but cant send picture..phone not working. I want them to commit to returning the broken item before I refund the money. The shipping I'd pay to return it was more than the item. They are silent but I only have so many days to resolve. Ebay steps in and says they are emailing them postage paid label. I stopped it. The buyer still never provided proof and was able to keep it. Hope that makes sense. 

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

@daytradinggal wrote:

I want them to commit to returning the broken item before I refund the money.

Ebay steps in and says they are emailing them postage paid label. I stopped it.

Hope that makes sense.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

I know that many sellers feel that a CCC will always side with their customer, but that is simply not true.  If it were, then many CCCs would start losing vendors that accept their cards.  Various B&M stores or internet sites do not have to accept all the various CCs out there.  They can limit the cards they accept.  And some do.  For example some don't like to take American Express because their fees are too high for the merchant.  

If CCCs allow their customers to just file a dispute and auto rule in the favor of that customer every time, in time that CCC would start losing various businesses that accept their card.  It is a fine line they walk.  Customers do have to prove their cases to their CCCs.  It isn't merely file a dispute and get your stuff for free.  Heck if that were true no one would be paying for anything as they would just dispute the amounts.  Also if a customer files too many disputes on a particular CC, then they risk having that CCC to cancel their card all together.

You need to call PP.  Stay professional and stick to the facts.  Keep your emotions and opinions out of it as they just don't care.  Stick to the facts and what transpired on this particular transaction.  If the buyer says they returned the item, then they should be made to prove that to PP and their CCC for that matter.

Also if you followed PP's rules for Seller Protection, you should have some protections from that as well.  From what you have said here, this is NOT a case you should lose.  So call and get it taken care of.  Demand the proof of return.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

I know that many sellers feel that a CCC will always side with their customer, but that is simply not true.  If it were, then many CCCs would start losing vendors that accept their cards.  Various B&M stores or internet sites do not have to accept all the various CCs out there.  They can limit the cards they accept.  And some do.  For example some don't like to take American Express because their fees are too high for the merchant.  

If CCCs allow their customers to just file a dispute and auto rule in the favor of that customer every time, in time that CCC would start losing various businesses that accept their card.  It is a fine line they walk.  Customers do have to prove their cases to their CCCs.  It isn't merely file a dispute and get your stuff for free.  Heck if that were true no one would be paying for anything as they would just dispute the amounts.  Also if a customer files too many disputes on a particular CC, then they risk having that CCC to cancel their card all together.

You need to call PP.  Stay professional and stick to the facts.  Keep your emotions and opinions out of it as they just don't care.  Stick to the facts and what transpired on this particular transaction.  If the buyer says they returned the item, then they should be made to prove that to PP and their CCC for that matter.

Also if you followed PP's rules for Seller Protection, you should have some protections from that as well.  From what you have said here, this is NOT a case you should lose.  So call and get it taken care of.  Demand the proof of return.

many people who have merchant accounts say the are able to communicate with the CC company and win with evidence they show.   However when going through paypal all that information gets passed to paypal who is the one "fighting" the dispute.  Paypal doesn't offer any seller protection for these chargebacks and I don't think they really fight that hard because it's not their so much their loss so they put little effort into it just my opinion on why sellers can't win these SNAD chargebacks through paypal.  With there being no seller protection when the CC company decides to refund the buyer it comes out of the sellers pocket plus the $20 chargeback fee

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

@daytradinggal wrote:

This is true as is the buyer saying it's broken so they get a full refund. They wait long enough and ebay rules in their favor.

Customer bought something. They email saying it's broken but cant send picture..phone not working. I want them to commit to returning the broken item before I refund the money. The shipping I'd pay to return it was more than the item. They are silent but I only have so many days to resolve. Ebay steps in and says they are emailing them postage paid label. I stopped it. The buyer still never provided proof and was able to keep it. Hope that makes sense. 

Sorry that happened, but it seems that since you stopped the return label, that seems to indicate you didn't want the item returned.  That may be why the buyer was able to keep it, because it seemed you were fighting the return, when if you wanted it back, you needed to allow Ebay to issue the return label.  If the buyer said it doesn't work, that comes under the MBG, and if you want it back, you need to send a return label so the buyer can return it.  

Just how it works.  If you are afraid that the label will be issued and they won't use it, and you will be charged, you can get that money back if the label isn't used.  You don't refund until the tracking on the label shows delivery of the item back to you.

I am not sure how your wanting them to commit to returning it can happen when you stopped the return label.  I understand you said the buyer still never provided proof but they are not required to.  Hopefully this will help you lose any future items should this unfortunately occur again.  If you handle the return and don't let it escalate to Ebay, you can get your item back.  You also get a very serious seller defect, case closed without seller resolution, that can negatively impact your sellling privileges.  Wishing you luck.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

@myangelandmyprincess wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

many people who have merchant accounts say the are able to communicate with the CC company and win with evidence they show.   However when going through paypal all that information gets passed to paypal who is the one "fighting" the dispute.  Paypal doesn't offer any seller protection for these chargebacks and I don't think they really fight that hard because it's not their so much their loss so they put little effort into it just my opinion on why sellers can't win these SNAD chargebacks through paypal.  With there being no seller protection when the CC company decides to refund the buyer it comes out of the sellers pocket plus the $20 chargeback fee

I've shared my experience and knowledge on the subject.  I'm sorry that your experience has been the opposite.  I've been selling for quite a while now and over the years there have been many chargebacks via PayPal.  I've never lost a single chargeback nor have I ever paid a $20 fee.  I'm sorry that you experience has been different, but I stand by what I said before.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@myangelandmyprincess wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

I've shared my experience and knowledge on the subject.  I'm sorry that your experience has been the opposite.  I've been selling for quite a while now and over the years there have been many chargebacks via PayPal.  I've never lost a single chargeback nor have I ever paid a $20 fee.  I'm sorry that you experience has been different, but I stand by what I said before.

The thing is....the OP had no PayPal seller protection on this. It was an SNAD chargeback. that kind of chargeback has no seller protection and the seller only wins if the CCC decides the CB in their favor. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Have to agree - in 20 yrs I've had a few chargebacks - most were for unauthorized use - but when I showed confirmed delivery to the address filed with Paypal - not so hard to prove and win. My latest chargeback was for an item not received and I've talked about this before. Buyer opened a case here for SNAD - I won that case as CS could see the buyer got exactly what the listing stated. Then the buyer went to her CC and did a chargeback - I supplied all the supporting documentation to Payapl - even talked to a rep and said I'd gladly accept the return as was the case on Ebay - but the buyer needs to pay return shipping. 

Despite that - the CC ruled in the buyer's favor - the item was never returned and the money refunded from my acct. I could not get any information about the buyer's CC or I would have called them myself and raised a fuss. I was not charged the $20 Paypal fee as they gave me a 1 time exemption.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply