cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sellers - don't "gift" extras to a buyer unawares

I bought a shirt from a kid's clothing store here on Ebay.

Nothing wrong with the transaction or shirt.  In fact the wearer gets compliments on it all the time.   We love it. 

But a weird thing happened.   I started receiving a magazine I didn't order and didn't want.   I contacted the magazine directly and they referred me to a media service company through which it was ordered.   The media service company said it was a gift subscription from this kids clothing store I purchased the shirt from.   I was never given a choice or made aware that this magazine would be gifted to me.  It is kinda weird too, because the shirt was only $12.99.    Surely the subscription cost that much?   I don't know why they would do this - if it is well intended or I should be worried.   I cancelled the subscription and messaged the seller giving them the benefit of a doubt saying thanks but no thanks.   I notice they have a negative about the magazine subscription issue too from another buyer.  (I confess I didn't see it when I purchased). 

Anyway, if you want to give a buyer something complimentary can I suggest you let your buyer know beforehand - don't just spring it on them?   In this day of privacy issues and ID theft it can be a bit - disconcerting.    Some of us just don't like to get extra unsolicited stuff even if the sender's heart is in the right place. 

Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering kaboom!"
Message 1 of 16
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Wow, what a total violation.

OP, this is very serious. I would definitely try to report this to ebay. Not sure if there is any way you could tie the seller to the service, maybe through the other negative they received though which would kind of corroborate what you are saying. But in no way is this kind of thing acceptable.

I get upset enough as it is when I buy from sellers and they automatically subscribe me to their email spam list, but to do that in real life and send spam to my home? No way, I would be very upset.  Smiley Frustrated

View Best Answer in original post

Message 6 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

I got a dollar that says you are going to get a bill later.

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

@kiraalt wrote:

I bought a shirt from a kid's clothing store here on Ebay.

Nothing wrong with the transaction or shirt.  In fact the wearer gets compliments on it all the time.   We love it. 

But a weird thing happened.   I started receiving a magazine I didn't order and didn't want.   I contacted the magazine directly and they referred me to a media service company through which it was ordered.   The media service company said it was a gift subscription from this kids clothing store I purchased the shirt from.   I was never given a choice or made aware that this magazine would be gifted to me.  It is kinda weird too, because the shirt was only $12.99.    Surely the subscription cost that much?   I don't know why they would do this - if it is well intended or I should be worried.   I cancelled the subscription and messaged the seller giving them the benefit of a doubt saying thanks but no thanks.   I notice they have a negative about the magazine subscription issue too from another buyer.  (I confess I didn't see it when I purchased). 

Anyway, if you want to give a buyer something complimentary can I suggest you let your buyer know beforehand - don't just spring it on them?   In this day of privacy issues and ID theft it can be a bit - disconcerting.    Some of us just don't like to get extra unsolicited stuff even if the sender's heart is in the right place. 

If they gave your name and address to a third party (which is what you're saying), that's a policy violation.

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 3 of 16
latest reply

Possibly the seller gets a bonus for every referral he gives them?

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

If there was a commission, or "bonus"...

Possibly eBay gave the buyer's name and address to the media service? 

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 5 of 16
latest reply

Wow, what a total violation.

OP, this is very serious. I would definitely try to report this to ebay. Not sure if there is any way you could tie the seller to the service, maybe through the other negative they received though which would kind of corroborate what you are saying. But in no way is this kind of thing acceptable.

I get upset enough as it is when I buy from sellers and they automatically subscribe me to their email spam list, but to do that in real life and send spam to my home? No way, I would be very upset.  Smiley Frustrated

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

Before you get worked up, contact your seller and ask them if they did it. Heck eBay might have sold a mailing list for all we know. We know they are collecting data on everything you look at and buy, maybe google? Firefox? 

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 7 of 16
latest reply

@the_fancy_fox wrote:

Before you get worked up, contact your seller and ask them if they did it. Heck eBay might have sold a mailing list for all we know. We know they are collecting data on everything you look at and buy, maybe google? Firefox? 

Re-read the OP, this was included at the end:

"I notice they have a negative about the magazine subscription issue too from another buyer.  (I confess I didn't see it when I purchased)."

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

@jonathankirkland wrote:

@the_fancy_fox wrote:

"I notice they have a negative about the magazine subscription issue too from another buyer.  (I confess I didn't see it when I purchased)."

Possible another buyer assumed as well? With all the data collection that goes on now, nothing would surprise me. Imagine if it was not the seller but a third party and the seller gets blamed for it!

i am not saying that's what happened but I would bet it's where all the data collecting is headed. 

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 9 of 16
latest reply

@the_fancy_fox wrote:

@jonathankirkland wrote:

@the_fancy_fox wrote:

Possible another buyer assumed as well? With all the data collection that goes on now, nothing would surprise me. Imagine if it was not the seller but a third party and the seller gets blamed for it!

i am not saying that's what happened but I would bet it's where all the data collecting is headed. 

You're saying two people who bought from one seller just happened to get a magazine subscription out of nowhere?

Sure.......

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

@ted_200 wrote:

Anything's possible, I suppose,  but we aren't all getting magazines.  

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

@ted_200 wrote:

Anything's possible, I suppose,  but we aren't all getting magazines.  

A new test by eBay? Lol. 

I have two I get quarterly with no idea why.  Boating and yacht magazine and a gardening one.  The gardening one I understand I  buy a lot of gardening stuff the boating one? No idea. Been getting it for years at no charge.

Pretty simple though, op should drop the seller a note and ask.

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 12 of 16
latest reply

I wouldn't doubt it. One free year then if you don't jump through all kinds of hoops you get billed for another year.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

@dougsue123b wrote:

I wouldn't doubt it. One free year then if you don't jump through all kinds of hoops you get billed for another year.

But how would they possibly be able to auto-bill you since there's no way they should have any kind of credit card information? Unless you just meant keep sending you a bill pestering you to continue the subscription.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

I buy a lot of ebay stuff, no magazine here.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply