cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller fees as usual

It has been a long time since i sold on this platform but i recently sold a watch for $425. They took 15 percent of the total including shipping and tax, even consignment shops don’t do that. I will never sell on this platform again

Message 1 of 48
latest reply
47 REPLIES 47

Seller fees as usual

Fees for selling items are clearly listed. It is on you to familiarize yourself with the policies, rather than assume they are as you imagined them. 

Selling fees | eBay

Message 2 of 48
latest reply

Seller fees as usual

@hwhoward wrote:

It has been a long time since i sold on this POS platform but i recently sold a watch for $425. They took 15 percent of the total including shipping and tax, even consignment shops don’t do that. I will never sell on this platform again

You listed something for sale here without knowing what the fees were?

That's crazy!

BTW Consignment shops typically take a 40% commission which is considered a 60/40 split. 40/60 or 50/50 split is also appropriate, depending on the products you're selling and the type of consignment shop you're selling through.

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 3 of 48
latest reply

Seller fees as usual

@hwhoward wrote:

even consignment shops don’t do that. I will never sell on this platform again

No, consignment shops generally take anywhere from 25-50% AND the only exposure your items get are to the people who physically walk into the store. 15% for worldwide exposure is a steal.

Message 4 of 48
latest reply

Seller fees as usual

"You listed something for sale here without knowing what the fees were?

That's crazy!

BTW Consignment shops typically take a 40% commission which is considered a 60/40 split. "

Only thing is, the way fees are listed on eBay is not the way they work out in the end.   For example, when eBay says they're going to charge you a fee of 13.35% for that category, many sellers think if they're item sells for $100 they're going to be charged $13.35, but that isn't the case because of them charging their fees for shipping.  Or if you sell an item for $10 where you're charging $5 for shipping, your actual fee skyrockets to about 23% in that 13.35% category.  It's just a sneaky way to make fees that are anywhere from 15% to 30% in reality, or higher, look as if they're only 13.25% until you sit down and figure out the math.  

OTOH, if a consignment shop tells you their fee is 40%, or an auction house says their fees are 20%, then that is what they get, period.  Neither a consignment shop or auction house would ever charge the seller fees for shipping or sales tax because it's ridiculous to do so.

The other thing to consider with a consignment shop charging 40% or an auction house charging 20% is that both of those places are doing everything for you that you would normally have to spend your entire days working long hard hours doing on eBay. 

Message 5 of 48
latest reply

Seller fees as usual

Who would want to sell with Ebay or your local consignment shops? 

From your $425 sale you should have ended up with roughly $355-$360 after Ebay FVF Fees and shipping cost. 

Or you can sell to a consignment shop where you will end up with assuming same $425 selling price

20% commission -   $340 afte commission 

25% commission -   $318 afte commission 

40% commission -   $255 after commission - Industry standard 

50% commission -   $212.5 after commission 

Message 6 of 48
latest reply

Seller fees as usual

@inhawaii wrote:

@hwhoward wrote:

It has been a long time since i sold on this POS platform but i recently sold a watch for $425. They took 15 percent of the total including shipping and tax, even consignment shops don’t do that. I will never sell on this platform again

You listed something for sale here without knowing what the fees were?

That's crazy!

BTW Consignment shops typically take a 40% commission which is considered a 60/40 split. 40/60 or 50/50 split is also appropriate, depending on the products you're selling and the type of consignment shop you're selling through.

Yep, beat me to it!

I was going to say literally every consignment shop around here is 40% minimums tiered along product/price ranges.

Message 7 of 48
latest reply

Seller fees as usual

So what percentage would be acceptable? 12%,  10%? With 10% you would save around $22. And for $22 you would want to leave ebay where you just made a $425 sale? Doesn't sound reasonable.

Message 8 of 48
latest reply

Seller fees as usual

@adkhighker wrote:

For example, when eBay says they're going to charge you a fee of 13.35% for that category, many sellers think if they're item sells for $100 they're going to be charged $13.35

Only the sellers who don't read the terms of service that clearly says you will be charged 13.25% of the TOTAL including shipping and taxes.

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 9 of 48
latest reply

Seller fees as usual

@adkhighker wrote:

"You listed something for sale here without knowing what the fees were?

That's crazy!

BTW Consignment shops typically take a 40% commission which is considered a 60/40 split. "

Only thing is, the way fees are listed on eBay is not the way they work out in the end.   For example, when eBay says they're going to charge you a fee of 13.35% for that category, many sellers think if they're item sells for $100 they're going to be charged $13.35, but that isn't the case because of them charging their fees for shipping.  Or if you sell an item for $10 where you're charging $5 for shipping, your actual fee skyrockets to about 23% in that 13.35% category.  It's just a sneaky way to make fees that are anywhere from 15% to 30% in reality, or higher, look as if they're only 13.25% until you sit down and figure out the math.  

OTOH, if a consignment shop tells you their fee is 40%, or an auction house says their fees are 20%, then that is what they get, period.  Neither a consignment shop or auction house would ever charge the seller fees for shipping or sales tax because it's ridiculous to do so.

The other thing to consider with a consignment shop charging 40% or an auction house charging 20% is that both of those places are doing everything for you that you would normally have to spend your entire days working long hard hours doing on eBay. 

No it doesn't, it's still 13.25%.

If you're including the shipping you pay, it's not as fee, it's an expense.

Have a great day
Message 10 of 48
latest reply

Seller fees as usual

Actually most sellers would or should know that Ebay takes fees on Item price + shipping + tax because thats what ebay clearly states in the fee schedule. Its not sneaky, it's clearly spelled out and all sellers should read and take into account. Just like buyers would consider item price + shipping + tax to determine if an item is worth purchasing. 

I use a 10% sales tax rate and i use the shipping rate to the furthest destination (Florida) to calculate fees and determine if an item is worth selling. I always pay less fees than my estimates. 

If your shipping cost is greater than 40% of your item price you should sell on Poshmark who charges a 20% fee on just item price so that $10 item you would pay $2 on Poshmark  and $2.30 on Ebay 

Message 11 of 48
latest reply

Seller fees as usual

"No it doesn't, it's still 13.25%.

If you're including the shipping you pay, it's not as fee, it's an expense."

That's real good spin.   eBay relies on sellers who think that way and who are content with paying way more than the advertised percentage, sellers who think they're paying 13.35% fees on an item for example that they sell for $10 with $5 shipping charges and they end up with $7.70 which means for anyone who does the math that they are paying 23% fees for that particular item, not 13.35%.  At least that's the way it is for those sellers who realize that your actual fee percentage is based on dividing the price you net by your final selling price and subtracting the result from 100, and that your fee percentage for that item was 23% not 13.35%.   

Message 12 of 48
latest reply

Seller fees as usual

.......... and again - CLEARLY spelt out as fvf charged on Item + Shipping + Sales Tax

For those who don't bother reading - Caveat venditor

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 13 of 48
latest reply

Seller fees as usual

I wish it was 13.25% !!!!!

1aaaebay.jpeg

Message 14 of 48
latest reply

Seller fees as usual

I think your still on the naughty list.

Message 15 of 48