cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Searching for coins on eBay

Today someone gave me 2 circulated and quite used silver quarters to add to my very large collection of coins. 

1 is a 1950 D US Washington quarter and the other is a 1957 D US Washington quarter.

I thanked her and said as soon as I check them out on eBay and see what they're worth I will give her the $ when I see her again.  She said no but I want to anyway soooo .... I started my search on eBay about 25 minutes ago and am still not sure what they are worth.  

I know from reading many posts here that sometimes searches on eBay can be difficult.

The first search I did:  1950 D Circulated US Silver Washington Quarter - showed me 5 results with prices starting at $5.75 BIN Free Shipping to $27.88 OBO (BIN) Free Shipping.

The 2nd search I changed to:  1950 D US Silver Quarter - and came up with 19 results with prices starting at $5.54 Free Shipping to $27.88 OBO (BIN) Free Shipping.  

Then I did a search for SOLD coins and came up with 4 results ranging in price from $2.50 Auction Style with Free Shipping to $27.88 B/O  Free Shipping - B/O was accepted. 

Aside from taking my coins IRL to a coin dealer (something I will have difficulty doing with my very heavy collection) how does someone determine from searching listings on eBay, what their coins are worth?  

I know there were some coin dealers who posted here and I often thought about contacting them in the past about my collection (that I definitely don't know the value of and can't list them now anyway) but since I was/am concerned about eBay thinking my message may result in an off-eBay sale, I won't contact them.    

Any advice about how to search for the correct dollar amount of these 2 quarters will be appreciated.   

Thanks. 

Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

These are common date coins.

In average circulated condition maybe between $5 and $6 according to what I searched.

Message 2 of 35
latest reply

I would suggest getting a Red Book to gauge a coins value.

ebay doesn't show what a coin is worth - it shows what a coin might sell for, maybe, under various conditions.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 3 of 35
latest reply

@gracieallen01 wrote:

I would suggest getting a Red Book to gauge a coins value.

ebay doesn't show what a coin is worth - it shows what a coin might sell for, maybe, under various conditions.

Thanks but ... You mean for the 2 US quarters I just received?   

I certainly can't even think of trying to take out my very, very heavy coin bags (with thousands of coins in them) to look at them 1 by 1 and compare them to what the Red Book says they are worth.  That would probably take at least a year and I don't have that kind of time, IYKWIM.  

The only thing I can do with my coins is have someone take me to a dealer and leave them there and hope I get an honest offer.  

If I had any idea of value of some of them I might even consider listing them for sale on eBay.

Someone I emailed (who I found on CL advertised as a coin dealer) scared me when he said out of the 21 coins I described to him at least 1 was "very valuable" and told me to bring them to him.  When he said I would be going to his "home" ... I stopped all correspondence and packed away my coins.

I started thinking of them today when I got the 2 coins and started searching eBay for their value but didn't have much luck.   

Message 4 of 35
latest reply

The only one who can do this without getting ripped off is you.  Takes a second to put in 1950D quarter value to get an estimate.

What you need to determine is if you have any rare dates.  Those are the ones that are going to have value.

Message 5 of 35
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

The only one who can do this without getting ripped off is you.  Takes a second to put in 1950D quarter value to get an estimate.

What you need to determine is if you have any rare dates.  Those are the ones that are going to have value.

Thanks, ... copied/pasted from my OP:  

"The first search I did:  1950 D Circulated US Silver Washington Quarter - showed me 5 results with prices starting at $5.75 BIN Free Shipping to $27.88 OBO (BIN) Free Shipping.

The 2nd search I changed to:  1950 D US Silver Quarter - and came up with 19 results with prices starting at $5.54 Free Shipping to $27.88 OBO (BIN) Free Shipping.  

Then I did a search for SOLD coins and came up with 4 results ranging in price from $2.50 Auction Style with Free Shipping to $27.88 B/O  Free Shipping - B/O was accepted. 

Aside from taking my coins IRL to a coin dealer (something I will have difficulty doing with my very heavy collection) ......"

Message 6 of 35
latest reply

As the other poster explained, what you see in sold is what someone was willing to pay, not necessarily what it is worth.

I understand you have a big collection.  But I know of no way to do it unless you are willing to put in the time.  As you saw, CL brings in the worst of the worst.  And a coin dealer will see you coming if you act like you do not have a clue.

My first sales here back in 1999 was a coin collection I inherited.  Did not know anything about coins, so I had to learn.  Made some good money too.

Message 7 of 35
latest reply

Don't spend them Smiley Wink

Back in 2001-2002 if my memory doesn't fail me, here in San Francisco CA, I heard over the radio this guy went to purchase something at the store. Imagine the price of $3.76. He grabbed his wallet, dropped the bills, then some coins from his pocket and went home. 

Then, next day, he realized his precious 1943 copper penny was given to that cashier that day. He was offering $20,000 as a reward Smiley Very Happy

Somebody must have it in a jar. Smiley Wink

latest reply

Wow, according to the site I checked value is between $60,000 and $85,000.

I know back in the day, my late father always checked the coins he received in daily transactions to make sure it did not have any additional value.

Message 9 of 35
latest reply

@escuintla wrote:

Don't spend them Smiley Wink

Back in 2001-2002 if my memory doesn't fail me, here in San Francisco CA, I heard over the radio this guy went to purchase something at the store. Imagine the price of $3.76. He grabbed his wallet, dropped the bills, then some coins from his pocket and went home. 

Then, next day, he realized his precious 1943 copper penny was given to that cashier that day. He was offering $20,000 as a reward Smiley Very Happy

Somebody must have it in a jar. Smiley Wink

Good story. I'm sure the slabbed coin was accepted by the cashier. Smiley Very Happy

Message 10 of 35
latest reply

Did I miss the part where the poster said it was slabbed?

Message 11 of 35
latest reply

Coins like that are authenticated and slabbed.  The local news was 'had'

Message 12 of 35
latest reply

Obviously someone who did not realize it used it to make a purchase and it was now in general circulation.

Now this person may not have realized it had any value either until after it was too late.

Who knows?  Plausable.  So no reason to doubt someone until you do.

Who looks at their coins when going about their daily routine.

Message 13 of 35
latest reply

You might be able to call or email a coin store and give them an idea of what you have. They may be able to give you some ball park figures, and tell you if any dates are desirable.

Message 14 of 35
latest reply

Probably no more than $5 if that, most collectors are not interested in quarters.

Message 15 of 35
latest reply