cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STRANGE E-BAY TECHNICAL GLITCH

Here is a very strange technical glitch I recently encountered.

If I use the word SKYLINE in my main heading the listing will not appear in search

results.

I sell diecast cars and noticed the listing for a Nissan Skyline GT-R (BNR34) was

not showing in any search results.

So I did a process of elimination. I listed the same car multiple times omitting one

word at a time and found that the word SKYLINE was the keyword that would not

allow the listing to appear in search results.

Other sellers do not seem to have this problem when listing this car.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

I'm not sure if you are talking about your listings or other listings.

I searched your 4 listings and "skyline" brought up 1 of your 4 listings.

Smoke From A Distant Fire - Sanford Townsend Band
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

@silenthunter5by5   Try removing the parentheses around the "BNR34" ...

Have you tried a Sold search in eBay's Terapeaks?  Terapeak Product Research - eBay Seller Hub

Maybe just try Hot Wheels Skyline and see what if anything is returned

I do a LOT of Sold search research and often the results are wonky until I enter the right combination of words ... I can imagine how frustrating it is for Buyers ... 

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Since you are in one of the most oversaturated categories on Ebay, I would guess it is not the word Skyline but instead your title is overboard with info. Remove the (BRN34) and you will have better luck. When a person puts a title with too many key words Ebay will tell buyers that some items will not appear and they will show listings with less keywords. So basically KISS.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Thank you.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

@coolections wrote:

... I would guess it is not the word Skyline but instead your title is overboard with info. .... When a person puts a title with too many key words Ebay will tell buyers that some items will not appear and they will show listings with less keywords. So basically KISS.

That seems odd; when I was actively selling, one of the mantras was to put every available space in the title to good use. Not saying you are wrong, but it goes against logic to me.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

It happens on my listings. 

When I list this item with the word SKYLINE the item will not show in search results

at all.

When I list this item without the word SKYLINE the item appears within minutes.

This problem does not happen on any other items I sell.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@varebelrose   Just for fun try typing a title with around seven or eight words. You will see that Ebay will show zero listings and under that it will say "results matching fewer words". Meaning the item you list may not show because Ebay has no clue what it is you are actually selling.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Encountered a similar problem with the word "accountant" last May. Posted about it,  but I guess it didn't pique anyone's interest. A year later and this is still an issue that's not been addressed. 

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/No-search-results-found-blocked-keywords-and-hidden-listings/t...  

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Yes!  I have experienced the "SKYLINE" ommission from search results as well, and have checked with another seller who also experienced it.  He did mention it will eventually show up...but to not have it show in results for a while is disconcerting.  Thanks for posting this too...we're not crazy!

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

I searched for Skyline and it brought up to ebay motors listings. But if  you click on the toys and hobbies category on the left the hot wheels will come up. Searching for hot wheels Skyline also seems to work.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply