cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SLOW SALES HAVE GOTTEN WORSE!!

I know we see this every day regarding no sales or very slow sales.

It had never really effected me since the products I sell are some of the most popular dental products.

My sales have been doing very well up until October.

I noticed that October was a little slower than normal, but wasn't too concerned since November and December are always my biggest months of the year.

Dentists have to spend a certain amount each year for their tax write offs and a lot of them wait until year end to spend a lot of it.

Well, November was down almost 50% and so far, December is down 63%.

So even the professionals have tightened their purse strings and aren't spending for their businesses.

I'm hoping it picks up real soon.

Happy selling everyone,  I hope you're doing better than I am 🙂

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Inflation is really putting the lid on sales.  The media says everything is great however.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

@simba6 wrote:

Inflation is really putting the lid on sales.  The media says everything is great however.

That's why businesses are shutting down and laying off workers, it's so great.

Have a great day
Message 3 of 12
latest reply

If I was a Dentist, I couldn't see myself looking on Ebay for supplies.

Have a great day
Message 4 of 12
latest reply

FWIW Canada has just announced that dental care will become a publicly funded social program, starting with Boomers and babies.

So you may have new customers looking for supplies.

https://www.pm.gc.ca/en/news/news-releases/2023/03/31/getting-canadians-dental-care-they-need

Starting almost immediately and planned to be fully implemented by 2025.

Now if the Liberals would just get moving on Pharmacare, which was part of their agreement with Jagmeet and the NDP.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

@kensgiftshop wrote:

@simba6 wrote:

That's why businesses are shutting down and laying off workers, it's so great.

Jobs all over the place where I am in Western NY.

That's not to say inflation didn't put a hurt on people that remains.  It has and did but until we see the results as posted by retailers and retail associations nobody knows a dang thing.  All conjecture which seems to be the common thread in ever so many threads here.  People listen to bias news versus news that is unbiased so they hear what they care to believe versus reality.  People dont read online various financial business sites more or less retail association sites... Heck, they dont even read the sites reporting on third party commerce yet are experts in whats going on.  Apparently they dont comparison shop either, my ladies on her fourth round doing that and once again, eBay more expensive for same items of that in retail online.  

Now part of that problem is she's buying from three retailers versus I believe she said, it'd be fourteen here and she doesn't want any problems for her Xmas gifts.  So there goes I think she said about $120 just in shipping whereby the retailers are all free... And no, they don't add that into the product, free shipping is free shipping.

We are also heading into a general election year where there is MUCH concern among the public not liking either of the choices arising.  You can bet you're dollar if it plays out as its looking consumer spending is going to see some significant impacts.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

These always sell well for me - maybe you don't have the right dental accessories.4872-1(LIC1).jpg

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

I'm doing better than ever.  My sales are up 55% over last year.  Here's what I've been doing that I think makes a difference:

1.  List every day.  Doesn't have to be a lot, just consistent.  I try to put up 10 new things a day.  And these are brand new listings, not sell similar or anything you've listed before.  

2.  Get rid of old stuff that hasn't sold.  Have a sale, donate it, whatever.  Just get it out of there.

3.  Use promoted listings. Sux but you do get more exposure and views and that leads to more sales.

4.  Keep on top of emails and issues like returns

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

FWIW Canada has just announced that dental care will become a publicly funded social program, starting with Boomers and babies.

So you may have new customers looking for supplies.

https://www.pm.gc.ca/en/news/news-releases/2023/03/31/getting-canadians-dental-care-they-need

Starting almost immediately and planned to be fully implemented by 2025.

Now if the Liberals would just get moving on Pharmacare, which was part of their agreement with Jagmeet and the NDP.

More new US customers as more canadians will come to us to get quality care 😉

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

If your sales dropped off that quickly starting in October  and dropped off by such a large percentage as you said, then I wonder if maybe some new competition has entered the picture starting in October with the same products you have been selling, only at lower prices than what you've been selling them for?  Anyway, I hope things pick up for you soon.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

There must be one or two dentists buying on ebay.

I just looked at one of the OPs listings.   A  $799.00 item listed and he's sold

711  of them in the 14 years he's been on ebay.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

@adkhighker

I do keep an eye on the competition and yes, there are a few new sellers, but their prices are higher on most items.

If their price is lower, their shipping cost is higher.

Most of my items are at the top using best match.

I don't use promoted listings as eBay already takes a bigger chunk of the profit than I do lol

You would be surprised at how many dentists buy on eBay. We are way cheaper than their local dealers.

There are some on eBay that are selling at regular retail pricing or close to it.

I don't see how they keep going here with those high prices.

I'll just keep plugging away and hope things get better.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply