cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roommate bid on my item as a joke. Now eBay suspended me for 10 days & took away bidding on auctions

My computer got hacked and I had some problems with shipping items with tracking when I used their eBay envelopes. Seems that the Post Office does not recognize their tracking as i got no confermation of delivery. Also my roommate bid on an item I was selling to pay back for something I did not give her for her new condo. Ebay suspended me for 7 and then 10 days and then  made it so i cant bid or sell any items with an auction format and I cant bid on auctions either forever.  I have been a customer for 22 years and started a long time ago. Now this hack and bad joke my old roommate played on me is destroying my eBay selling and buying. I have tried to talk to them and they say the hack and shill bid is against their rules and they are not restoring my account forever.  Looks like all my items will be going on FB Marketplace soon and I have bought over $20,000 in the 22 years I have been with eBay.  This place is really going to the birds. Has anyone else had these problems with eBay. A........ here we come

Message 1 of 44
latest reply
43 REPLIES 43

Roommate bid on my item as a joke. Now eBay suspended me for 10 days & took away bidding on auctions

I'm the last person here to stick up for eBay, but your story sounds like shill bidding and eBay isn't going to let that stand no matter the explanation.

Message 2 of 44
latest reply

So, why are you mad at ebay?

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 3 of 44
latest reply

Your computer got hacked and made you have problems with shipping and tracking? I don't buy that. 

Your roommate bid on one of your items? Your roommate and you share an internet connection I presume, which is why you were suspended for shill bidding. 
And you're mad at eBay? It is against eBay policy plus illegal to shill bid. 
You're leaving eBay? Good luck in your future ventures.

But before you go, it would be a good idea to take your listings down first. 

Message 4 of 44
latest reply

I just sold an item on Marketplace... 

I've sold more than a few items there, over time.

I have never thought it was easier or better than ebay, in fact it's quite the hassle and the revenue tends to be lower (even after fees). To me it would be a step down to be forced to sell on Marketplace.

That said I don't buy your bad luck story either, mostly because you're not accepting responsibility for your actions. Let me be blunt: What happens under your account is your responsibility, whether you were hacked or what happened, bad roommate jokes, it's on your account and thus ebay finds you responsible.

I certainly hope that you are young as I was at one time and that in the next decades you find your way.

Good luck.

Message 5 of 44
latest reply

What's wrong with people that they cannot take responsibility for their own wrongdoing? 

If you had first 7 then 10 day suspensions, clearly, it wasn't your first shilling rodeo. 

When there's shill bidding, it's not a one off action. Although you have private bidding, I'm willing to bet that the same roommate bid on every auction or nearly every one with multiple bids. 

FWiW, when I see auctions with private bidding on items for which there's no valid reason for private bidding, I always assume the reason for hiding bidding is to hide wrongdoing and I hit the back button. 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 6 of 44
latest reply

@1bostonsports wrote:

My computer got hacked and I had some problems with shipping items with tracking when I used their eBay envelopes. Seems that the Post Office does not recognize their tracking as i got no confermation of delivery. Also my roommate bid on an item I was selling to pay back for something I did not give her for her new condo. Ebay suspended me for 7 and then 10 days and then  made it so i cant bid or sell any items with an auction format and I cant bid on auctions either forever.  I have been a customer for 22 years and started a long time ago. Now this hack and bad joke my old roommate played on me is destroying my eBay selling and buying. I have tried to talk to them and they say the hack and shill bid is against their rules and they are not restoring my account forever.  Looks like all my items will be going on FB Marketplace soon and I have bought over $20,000 in the 22 years I have been with eBay.  This place is really going to the birds. Has anyone else had these problems with eBay. A........ here we come

Oh please.....LOL ebay was not the problem here.

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 7 of 44
latest reply

It is not the hack. It is your roommate bidding on your item. eBay has to protect the integrity of its auctions. Every auction site would ban you. Tell your roommate she has messed you up. 

Message 8 of 44
latest reply

@1bostonsports 

Were those 10 bid retractions part of the same joke?

No one asked, but I am looking forward to the day when having feedback default sorted by relevance seems right.
Message 9 of 44
latest reply

If you are going to lie you might as well tell us a good story. This ain't a good story 

1. Why would someone "hack" your computer just to mess with the shipping on your Ebay account? Waste of a good hack if you ask me. 

2.  So which one is it? Your old roommate was playing a practical joke on you OR was she repaying a loan by bidding on your items? 

Message 10 of 44
latest reply

I guess she did shill bid me but did not win the item. 

Message 11 of 44
latest reply

Im not that mad a eBay, they do have to protect their site but it was not of my doing. It was a bad joke that has limited my selling & buying so that i must find another site to auction off my items. 

Message 12 of 44
latest reply

I am looking for other auction sites right now. Yes, I guess it was shill bidding that my ropommate did to my item. I am just **bleep** that I did not get a chance to reply to the suspension and tell my story. I was hacked by another company that stole funds form my Zelle application and did not affect eBay. 

Message 13 of 44
latest reply

I accept the responsibility but forever being banned of bidding on auction items or selling thru auctions is a stiff penalty to pay when i was not the person who caused this disaster. 

Message 14 of 44
latest reply

Im not really sure what she did. She has moved out and Im glad of that but I am left with a piece meal story and a ebay account that is pretty much useless to me. 

Message 15 of 44
latest reply