cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Return to Sender ~ Do I send buyer refund? Ship to a new address?

I shipped a camera to a buyer with 0 feedback, but who paid immediately.  During shipment buyer contacted me through eBay communications saying, "Hi this is [name deleted] I guess the camera I ordered from you did not make it to my house due some sort of address issue please get back to me asap si I can just give you another address to send it to. Thank you"

I replied that eBay would not approve of sending the item to an address other than the one on record.

Buyer replied, "So then a refund would have to be done then because it's being sent back to you dam this sucks"

I replied, "OK, no problem"

Next communication from buyer, "Hi is it possible I can just buy it again from you"

I replied, "I'd first issue a full refund.  I'll do that when I receive the camera.  Then I can relist it."

Then buyer asked me, "Can you text me when it's back up please I'll buy it asap my number is [number hidden].

I didn't send a reply to that as I know texting would be a violation of eBay policy AND I don't what to give my number out.

Camera came today with a return to sender label.  I video'd the box opening just to make sure I wasn't sent a brick.  Everything looked just as I packed it.. the box didn't even show signs of ever being opened.

Now I want to give a refund.  I offer free returns, but this came "return to sender", NOT through an ebay return label... in fact, the buyer didn't request a return!!

What to do now?  Full refund including postage?  I paid for shipping through ebay so, customer paid a little more than I did.  Do I block customer?  Seems like a potential scam, but could be just a newbie who got his address screwed up. 

Suggestions would be appreciated.. Thanks, Rob

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

You would refund the buyer minus original shipping. Because the buyer gave you an incorrect address it’s not on you to eat shipping. 
Once you’ve refunded you are free to relist. If the original buyer comes back to buy with the correct address, great. If not there will be other buyers. If you want to block the buyer, that’s your call.
Good luck. 

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Wait until the item is returned to you.

Then refund the buyer LESS shipping.

If you still want to do business with this guy,

inform him that he may re-purchase the item 

but this time make sure he has the correct address.

If you don't want to do business with him, block him and re-list the item.

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 3 of 3
latest reply