cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Return due to stock photo mistake

I listed a great flashlight and used a stock photo I found online to look more professional.  It was the exact model however the photo I found had the letters PRO on the flashlight with the model number. The buyer returned it and ebay refunded.  It was returned to an old address (my fault) and I have no idea if or when I will receive it. I have no idea if it is damaged or not.  The point is be very careful to use photos that are exact, buyers like these are very hard to please and sometimes they are unreasonable.  Also, be sure to keep your return address updated,

I never even thought about it as this is the first time anything has been returned in over 3 years.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

In some cases, eBay's policies prohibit the use of stock photos in your listings unless you have permission from the copyright owner (which is often granted if you are an authorized retailer) ... eBay's policies state that you are not to use stock photos for used, damaged, defective products.

Also, the board rules do not allow you to name and shame members on these boards.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Here are the policies:

Copyright / Intellectual Property Policy regarding photos ... you cannot use a copyrighted image, and most manufacturer stock photos are copyrighted.

Photo Policy ... OK to use stock photo only if the item is new (assuming the Intellectual Property rights are not violated).

Finally ... yeah ... I know ... using stock photos is like speeding:  just about everyone does it and only a few get caught.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Hang in there. The next return my be for not sending the gun shown with the holster.

Some suggest that the main photo(1st photo) should show only the actual item being sold for the benefit of the non-readers.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

The point is be very careful to use photos that are exact, buyers like these are very hard to please and sometimes they are unreasonable

I don't find it unreasonable to expect to get what was pictured in the listing.  Neither did your buyer, neither did Ebay.

If there is any difference between the picture and the item, you are listing a SNAD just waiting to happen.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

The point is be very careful to use photos that are exact, buyers like these are very hard to please and sometimes they are unreasonable

And the flip side of that is equally frustrating.

I take all of own photos so the item I am sending is the item of which I took the photo. And I still get returns "doesn't match picture".

I list the size in inches of what I offer and I still get returns and/or negative feedback, "I thought it was bigger" (or smaller).

I show pictures of the front and back of a coffee mug because I assume people want to see both sides, and I get complaints that they thought they were getting 2 mugs - after all that is what I show even every word in the text is in the singular form "a coffee mug". These same people buy a shirt, which shows the front and back, and do not expect to get 2 shirts so what's the deal with my mugs?

So I emphatically agree:

buyers like these are very hard to please and sometimes they are unreasonable

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

@freedomdeals15 wrote:

“...The buyer returned it and ebay refunded...”

Ok, am i right in assuming you opposed the return? If eBay had to refund on your behalf, well, that is not good.  Did your buyer open a Not As Described case and it was escalated to eBay after you declined the return?

What i am driving at is the possible defect you may have received on your account. You suggested good advice on what you learned from this experience (namely to not use stock photos that are different from what you have listed, and to keep your account information current). But even more important is to know how to avoid a defect. Defects can affect selling privileges.

So i hope i am wrong in my concern. Did the buyer open a NAD case?

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

Hang in there. The next return my be for not sending the gun shown with the holster.

Some suggest that the main photo(1st photo) should show only the actual item being sold for the benefit of the non-readers.

Agreed..... My buddy just sold a nice lot of rings that were displayed on a marble cheese grater.  He said 'Everthing you see in the photos'.   Buyer received package of rings but no cheese grater.  To protect his reputation he spent more money shipping the heavy marble item than the rings sold for.   

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

That's sad! If you look at other store ads - a buyer sees the bedding displayed on a bed with curtains, other pieces of furniture surrounding it and yet - the buyer knows he is not going to receive the furniture when he buys the bedding from that store. There has to be rational thinking on the buyer's part and Ebay should see that the buyer is really asking for something not advertised in the title or description. 

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Sorry you have experienced that.  

Like many things, it can go both ways.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

@doubledz-a2z wrote:

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

Agreed..... My buddy just sold a nice lot of rings that were displayed on a marble cheese grater.  He said 'Everthing you see in the photos'.   Buyer received package of rings but no cheese grater.  To protect his reputation he spent more money shipping the heavy marble item than the rings sold for.   

That doesn't seem fair.  Not saying it is, but I've seen newspaper ads through the years that say things like, food not included, for a dish, and wood not included, for a yard cart.  One would think that that would be understood, but companies have been protecting themselves like that for years.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

I don't find it unreasonable to expect to get what was pictured in the listing.  Neither did your buyer, neither did Ebay.

If there is any difference between the picture and the item, you are listing a SNAD just waiting to happen.

Just want to add that many buyers are beyond reasonable.  They take whatever the seller chooses to send them, and just live with it.  They don't open a case.

Perhaps this is what you prefer?  Sorry but buyers may not be so accommodating.  They may just return rather than settle as they expect the picture to be accurate.  

This type of issue can happen when stock pictures are chosen.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

@doubledz-a2z wrote:

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

Wish he hadn't said, everything you see in the  photos.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Just want to add that many buyers are beyond reasonable.  They take whatever the seller chooses to send them, and just live with it.  They don't open a case.

Perhaps this is what you prefer?  Sorry but buyers may not be so accommodating.  They may just return rather than settle as they expect the picture to be accurate.  

This type of issue can happen when stock pictures are chosen.

Who've answered yourself - who are you addressing because they may want to respond?

My opinion is that most people do not accept something other than what they expected. People work long and hard for their money and can't afford to repurchase something because a different item than what they purchased was sent.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply