cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retail buying experience.......

Wow.!!! How ignorant are the spring seller updates.!?!?!?! This will help no one but the buyer it will kill ALL sellers .!!! How can anyone think this is a good idea.!?!?!? So eBay wants to "create a retail buying experience" in a discount market.!!! Does eBay not realize what kind of losses the retail market take.!?!?! Discount sellers can not absorb this kind of loss.!!! AND EVERY LAST SELLER ON EBAY IS A DISCOUNT SELLER.!!! FREE RETURN...it' not even free in stores.!! The buyer has to take the time and effort and gas to get the item back to the store but not on eBay.!!! They just stick it back I  the mail AND THE SELLER IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE RETURN SHIPPING.!!! SO THATS GONNA CAUSE EVEN MORE LOSS FOR SELLERS THAT RETAILERS DONT HAVE.!!!! this will kill sellers, only retail will be able to affrd to sell on eBay and they won' even be able to affrd it when they start paying for shipping to have their item returned.!!!! This is absurd and the single worst thing eBay has done to its sellers.!!! We have a perfect account and have so for the past 4 years and our total discount for Top Rated seller last month was 89.00......it will cost 2x that to take all the "free returns" eBay is forcing on sellers.!!! We tried the free returns last year and 1 out of ever 4-5 items came back because there is no consequence to the buyer. They expect you as a seller to pay for shipping to and from just so they can try an item on ...NO BUSINESS CAN SURVIVE THAT.!!! THIS IS NOT A RETAIL BUSNESS SO HOW CAN EBAY EXPECT US TO TAKE RETAIL LOSSES.!!!! SOMEONE NEEDS TO GO BACK AND STUDY ECONOMICS.!!!! Ebay is about to kill 3/4 of its sellers but that' no surpise they have favored corporte sellers for a few years now I guess this is their move to kill all small sellers ....congrats eBay job well done all small sellers will die because of your brilliant leadership.!!!

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

That was my question in a recent post.......why do Big Box stores need Ebay.....TO KILL IT OFF.  I agree with most of your post.  

Rich 

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

If you want to break down your posts into paragraphs You will have a better chance at getting participation.  Regulars here in the forum will usually just by pass a wall of words like you have.

Good Luck Selling!

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

If the free returns model won't work for you - don't use it - you don't think that the Big box or foreign sellers are going to sign up do you - so it won't hurt you in the least.

I sell clothes too and as of now - have no interest in the program. It may work for some of the non clothing items but chasing a 10% discount isn't worth it to me.

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

Big Box need Ebay because even their sales are suffering. Ex. Macy's - being so few people are shopping at the malls - our Macy's comsolidated it's two stores - one for womens - one for mens - into one store. It's website has had problems for the past 5 yrs and gets overloaded - so they sell off their overstocks on here under a different subsidiary and can at least recoup some of their money.

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

our total discount for Top Rated seller last month was 89.00......it will cost 2x that to take all the "free returns" 

Actually, eBay is not forcing free returns on all sellers with this update. You are still free to choose "no returns" or "buyer paid returns". 

Sounds like a toss up for you. If you offer free returns and keep the $89 discount and it costs you $178 in free returns, you are down $89. If you don't offer free returns and don't get the discount, you are down $89. 

it will kill ALL sellers {snip} this will kill sellers {snip} NO BUSINESS CAN SURVIVE THAT {snip} Ebay is about to kill 3/4 of its sellers {snip} I guess this is their move to kill all small sellers {snip} all small sellers will die 

So ... which sellers will get killed? Is it all sellers? Or just "businesses" who are sellers?  O 3/4 of sellers? Or just small sellers? 

I guess I don't see it. I think at this time next year, there will still be plenty of small sellers here.  eBay has actually had "free returns" for several years - if a buyer was willing to tell a white lie and file a SNAD instead of a return. 

I have no doubt this will affect some sellers. But I'm a small seller and this won't affect me in the least. 

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

@caninekopzwrote:

That was my question in a recent post.......why do Big Box stores need Ebay.....TO KILL IT OFF.  I agree with most of your post.  

Rich 

Well, they should do it slowly... they'll want to collect up as much buyer contact information, and redirect shoppers to their own sites, as they can!

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 7 of 17
latest reply

@goodlucksellingwrote:

If you want to break down your posts into paragraphs You will have a better chance at getting participation.  Regulars here in the forum will usually just by pass a wall of words like you have.

Good Luck Selling!

They probably think the Community works like the rest of eBay, and it will just remove all the paragraphs for them...

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 8 of 17
latest reply

From what a blue was saying a high rate for returns and/or INRs cases being opened will affect visibility, so if it will increase your rate too high it may be better to not use free returns anyway... you could have a higher rate of returns, more expense and less sales.... you have to do what is best for the items you are selling and your business model. If it doesn't work don't use it.... why lose money doing something that won't work.

On one account I use free returns, and my rate of returns being opened has gone up a little, but it is still a net positive.

There was never yet an uninteresting life. Such a thing is an impossibility. Inside of the dullest exterior there is a drama, a comedy and a tragedy.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

“it will kill ALL sellers .!!! ”

Wanna bet?

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

Big Box Stores have the money and the ability to do whatever they want to small sellers and they will do whatever to get proples business. That's business 101. Ebay or elsewhere. The key to dealing with this is to SELL STUFF THAT RETAILERS DO NOT SELL IN MASS QUANTITIED FOR CHEAP PRICES. Unique small sellers with specialty items will do well. Just do not sell the latest and greatest cheap mass produced product.

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

You have to experiment with the free returns and see how it will work out. If the costs go up too much then switch back.

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

@vintagecraze50wrote:

Big Box Stores have the money and the ability to do whatever they want to small sellers and they will do whatever to get proples business. That's business 101. Ebay or elsewhere. The key to dealing with this is to SELL STUFF THAT RETAILERS DO NOT SELL IN MASS QUANTITIED FOR CHEAP PRICES. Unique small sellers with specialty items will do well. Just do not sell the latest and greatest cheap mass produced product.

That truly is Business 101. Ebay was not founded to allow the average Joe to sell the same stuff that big box stores sell. If that’s your business plan, you should have seen the day of reckoning coming way before now.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

Will the eBay Big Box buyers be given the option of making their returns (in the store)  opposed to having the big box stores pay for return shipping.   

FYI:  

Another option for eBay sellers could have been:   an eBay  Return Center    eBay could then use their eBay valet service to resell those returned goods.    eBay could  witness first hand what was being returned.

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

That's exactly it. Sall sellers cannot compete on the common things that can be found anywhere else. EVEN the big box stores cannot compete with themselves in this current environment. All of them are competing on price and all will be flatlining in price if other sales tactics are not employed. I read some great articles on the future of Ecommerce . At some point there will have to be incentives given by websites in the form of cash assistance to sell on their platform, it's already happening I am sure. Stay with us and we will give you a deal to stay here to get your prices lower .

Message 15 of 17
latest reply