cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Requests to Retract Bids Need Permanent Penalties

I'm noticing, on some of my more rare listings, that bidders will spam like-listings with bids from multiple sellers and then request sellers retract their bids for all but the one they won. I just did this today for a bidder on an auction that literally just posted yesterday afternoon, and sent her a stern warning that retracting bids is not a normal feature of auctions and to please be more intentional. However, IMO eBay ought to somehow "knock" these people's account feedback ratings or something whenever this happens to make it public that they are not serious bidders. I realize I could've refused to allow this, but I am also concerned about my own ratings as a seller - and, by offering the option, it puts me in a bit of a pickle.

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

@jstengren 

Buyers, for the most part, can retract their own bids.  The number of times they do this is publicly shown, and likely why they want YOU to do it for them.  

Perhaps you can send the person requesting to this page: 

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/bidding/retracting-bid?id=4013&st=3&pos=1&query=Retracting%20a%20bi...

Message 2 of 24
latest reply

Tell them to go ahead and retract their bid, no problem. But make *them* do it.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 3 of 24
latest reply

Someone on the Bidding board has retracted 1019 bids in the last year.

ebay doesn’t care.

Message 4 of 24
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote:

@jstengren 

The number of times they do this is publicly shown

Where can I find the information about this specifically?  Is there a FAQ?  I didn't know about this.

Gator08041971  •  Volunteer Community Mentor 2024
Member of eBay since 2000

Message 5 of 24
latest reply

Thanks, I did not know this

Message 6 of 24
latest reply

Hi @jstengren 

First, Sellers "Cancel bids" and Buyers "retract bids".  If a Buyer retracts a bid and violates eBay Policy by not REPLACING IT with another bid you have the option to add them to your blocked list here:  Buyer Management | eBay

Check the boxes that blocks all communication and applies the block to active and furture listings.

You can see how many bid retractions a member has by going to their full Feedback history page and clicking the Received as Buyer tab, then look to the right and the number of bid retractions in the last 12 months can be seen. 

I think eBay should have a block setting for Sellers to block Buyers with "X" number of bid retractions in the last 12 months.  That would cut down on a lot of the abuse of the retraction policy.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 7 of 24
latest reply

@mr_lincoln wrote:

Hi @jstengren 

I think eBay should have a block setting for Sellers to block Buyers with "X" number of bid retractions in the last 12 months.  That would cut down on a lot of the abuse of the retraction policy.

I agree. That would be most helpful.  No one wants bidders that do that repeatedly on their items.

Message 8 of 24
latest reply

gator08041971_0-1707495503290.png

This one is currently active on one of my items listed right now.  Holy cow!  How can anyone have that many bid retractions in a year and still be able to shop here?  lol

Message 9 of 24
latest reply

Where can I find the information about this specifically?

@gator08041971 

It is on the feedback page.  The page you can access here by clicking on the number.  (Yours is 667*) .  Since ebay is messing with the display, you may have to click around to the different views i.e. all feedback, feedback as a buyer, feedback as a seller, feedback left for others, sort by most recent.  I don't sell here anymore so it is not something I typically look for.  Someone will be by here to tell you.  

There is no instructions or FAQ that I know about on eBay to tell you how to locate the information. 

Maybe @gone.c-33  can give you a link to the thread mentioned if it has a screen shot. 

Message 10 of 24
latest reply

Thanks.  @mr_lincoln  above answered it.

Message 11 of 24
latest reply

How can anyone have that many bid retractions in a year and still be able to shop here? 

@gator08041971 

There are no penalties.  To paraphrase a quote made by a previous VP of "something" at eBay years ago:  

WE WANT ALL BUYERS EVEN IF THEY ARE BAD.  

Message 12 of 24
latest reply

clicking the Received as Buyer tab,

@mr_lincoln 

Thank you, Mr. Lincoln.   I resume my position in the slow typing corner! 

Message 13 of 24
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote:

How can anyone have that many bid retractions in a year and still be able to shop here? 

@gator08041971 

WE WANT ALL BUYERS EVEN IF THEY ARE BAD.  

Well, that much is painfully obvious.  I did throw an "lol" at the end of that, as I was joking a bit..  😛

Message 14 of 24
latest reply

IMG_5588.jpeg

In the case I was speaking of, I just click on the Received as a buyer tab of a member’s feedback page.

Message 15 of 24
latest reply