cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Report Buyer?

I listed a gift card for sale and buyer with zero ratings asked me to provide card number so he could verify validity of card amount.  I, of course, declined but I have a bad feeling about this buyer.  Do I report him or her?

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Report Buyer?

If he did not purchase, you can not report. 

Just block the buyer. 

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Report Buyer?

Do I report him or her?

You can report if you like.  It is like sending a message to a robot.  Selling an item like this is VERY risky business here.  Worst cases:

You can send the "code" when receiving  payment.  Buyer uses the funds to buy things, and then claims SNAD with ebay...card empty even if you send the card in the mail with d/confirmation. 

You can send the card, buyer uses balance to buy things, and then claims SNAD with ebay...card empty.

Either way, you are going to be refunding the buyer, have an empty balance card, and be told it is "part of doing business on the net" and get the usual seller performance dings to your account. 

OR

You have an honest buyer. 

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Report Buyer?

You didn't actually give the person a chance to do anything reportable (thankfully). It's like calling the police because someone you don't know walks down the sidewalk in front of your house and looks at your front door.

Gift cards are really a high scam item, as you're finding out.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Report Buyer?

I just had a bad experience with someone with a zero rating and discovered there is no way to block them from bidding on your listings and that just stinks.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Report Buyer?

Already did that. thank you.
Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Report Buyer?

I just desperately wanted to get rid of all these cards for my mom's returns. Yuck.
Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Report Buyer?

@justducky59 wrote:

I just had a bad experience with someone with a zero rating and discovered there is no way to block them from bidding on your listings and that just stinks.

Why can't you put him/her on your Blocked Buyer List?

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Report Buyer?

FYI - you need to either remove one of those listings until the other  one sells, or revise the listings so that the total of ALL CARD LISTED is less than or equal to $500  It's the face value of the cards not the total asking price on the listing that has to be $500 or less.

Your asking price both listings  Is $275 + $325 which totals $600 
The face value of both listings' cards is $303.34 + $353.54 which total $656.88

Either way you cut it, and it's the face value that actual is relevant - the policy covers all concurrent listings.  You can read the text here:

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/prohibited-restricted-items/gift-cards-policy?id=4294

But for those who are not into clicking on links - here's the relevant text:

Gift cards can be listed as long as you meet all of the following requirements:

• The total face value of all gift cards listed by a seller at a given time is $500 or less
  • You have the card in hand at the time you list it, and you must ship within 5 days of the date your item was purchased

THIS SPACE LEFT INTENTIONALLY BLANK
Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Report Buyer?

I think the OP is referring to new buyers in general that there is no way to block all of them.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Report Buyer?

Oh, of course. *facepalm* S/he means s/he want to block zero- or low-feedback buyers in advance. Got it.
Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Report Buyer?

Whenever I have listed a Gift card I have received  messages from  users asking me for the card number to verify the amount.  Never give anyone that information because they don't need it.  It is an attempt to scam you.  Moreover,  I will not email the codes either.  I comply with eBay's policy and ship the card. Selling gift cards on eBay is risky so I always check the buyers feedback.  But you can still have problems.  I sold a few gift cards earlier this year and had problems with the buyers after the sale.  The first one claimed that the card was already used.   I was furious and knew it wasn't true as I verified the amount  again just minutes before shipping it.  When the buyer opened a claim I had eBay provide a return shipping label and required them to ship my card back.  On the last day they finally uploaded a tracking number.  The next day the tracking number showed that it was delivered, except when I checked with USPS  it was delivered to the buyers zip code.  I contact eBay and they also verified the delivery zip code and then closed the claim in my favor.  The next one PayPal contacted me to advise of the buyer's charge back claiming  unauthorized use of their credit card a few weeks after the purchase.   It took awhile but the claim was closed in my favor.  Both of these cards were over $100 and I haven't listed a card since.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Report Buyer?

@justducky59 wrote:

I listed a gift card for sale and buyer with zero ratings asked me to provide card number so he could verify validity of card amount.  I, of course, declined but I have a bad feeling about this buyer.  Do I report him or her?

Report them for what?

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 13 of 13
latest reply