cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recorded reel to reel music

I have several ( 20 -25) reel reels with music that was recorded by my dad who left these to me. Ive had the reels for  roughly 15 years.  Reels are dated as far back as March 1976.  Here are some of the artist ( Titles are all hand written by dad).

1. Best of the Bee Gees

2. Journey Into Yesterday 1964 - 1967- Dated 28 March 1976 

3.  Bruce Springsteen

4. Bob Dylan - Sunday Afternoon

5.  Hits of 1968 - 1971

6. Doobie Brothers 

7. Elvis Presley - Dated 1970

8. Crusin 1956 - 57

9. ZZ Top Fandango - 

10. Paul McCartney & Wings 

11. Elvis Country - 1972

12. Elvis Love Letters - 1972

13. Dean Martins Greatest Hits Vol 1

This is just a few I have many more...I also have several with no titles. I have to get a reel to listen to them. 

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Enjoy listening!

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Hi @jebj_us_cppv8ee 

Are you trying to sell these? If so, there are a couple of problems—

First, such an item (a secondary recording of copyrighted music) cannot be sold here. It is considered a boot-leg or pirated item. Here is the policy:

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/prohibited-restricted-items/counterfeit-item-policy?id=4276

Second, the forum rules prohibit solicitation. But you can ask any questions related to selling here, if you wish. Sorry.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Those would be considered pirate copies and can't be sold.  No different than selling home made copies of movie DVDs.   Do not list them on eBay.  You would be breaking the rules.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Lotta people sell legit tapes, not home made recordings but they do degrade as well over time even if never played.

There is the tape and then oxide(s) (magnetic particles) with a carrier are laid atop the tape.  What happens over time is some of those particles literally move due to attraction or opposition to other neighboring particles just like toying with magnets. Quality of the recording degrades.  Same can be said of floppy disks which are basically the same concept except for the fact its digital data laid down, 1's and 0's.  Diskettes failure rates many have experienced because there are checksums on the data which is not the case for audio tapes.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

@jebj_us_cppv8ee wrote:

I have several ( 20 -25) reel reels with music that was recorded by my dad who left these to me. Ive had the reels for  roughly 15 years.  Reels are dated as far back as March 1976.  Here are some of the artist ( Titles are all hand written by dad).

1. Best of the Bee Gees

2. Journey Into Yesterday 1964 - 1967- Dated 28 March 1976 

3.  Bruce Springsteen

4. Bob Dylan - Sunday Afternoon

5.  Hits of 1968 - 1971

6. Doobie Brothers 

7. Elvis Presley - Dated 1970

8. Crusin 1956 - 57

9. ZZ Top Fandango - 

10. Paul McCartney & Wings 

11. Elvis Country - 1972

12. Elvis Love Letters - 1972

13. Dean Martins Greatest Hits Vol 1

This is just a few I have many more...I also have several with no titles. I have to get a reel to listen to them. 

You do what people do with old recorded cassette and VHS tapes. You sell them in a bulk lot as previously used blanks, with no guarantee of content whatsoever, regardless of what the labels say. I would just unlabel them if possible.

Your potential customers are probably going to reuse the tapes anyway.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply