Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Protest GTC by Just using Auctions?

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Unless you have items that sell well at auction you'll only be hurting yourself.

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

Oops , hit the send button too soon.  Well  Ebay claims that GTC accounts for 80% of their auctions.  I was just wondering what would happen if suddenly folks just listed 7 day auctions   as a protest for GTC?  In a way , it would be great to get buyers used to bidding .   

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

On this account, my sales are bad.   On my other one ,  fixed price sales a little better than auctions.   Either way, sales stink.   That is what ebay should concentrate on.     No freaking way are buyers going to scroll through thousands of stale auctions.    That is just something that ebay doesn't seem to comprehend.

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

Well - since I got a 100 free auction listing promo this month - I listed 100 auctions.  Not a single one sold.  So no I won't be wasting any time listing auctions  to protest GTC.  I'll just move more listings elsewhere. 

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

I don't think that getting less than 75% of the available viewing days on my listings is going to be in my best interest.

50 fixed price listings with 30 possible days each

vs

50 auction style listings with 7 days each

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

Cut off my nose to spite my face?

Nope

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 7 of 19
latest reply

I would think that a more effective form of protest against this poorly conceived forced GTC listing is to just manually end the auctions around day 29.

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

I don't think that getting less than 75% of the available viewing days on my listings is going to be in my best interest.

50 fixed price listings with 30 possible days each

vs

50 auction style listings with 7 days each

The viewable days don't really matter. Many sellers have figured out that the first few days get increased search exposure as a "NEW LISTING", and the last few days get increased exposure/ranking as a "LEAVING SOON" listing.

Many sellers list fixed price listings for 10 days exactly because of that.

As for auctions, it's similar. Only the first day matters, and the last day. That's why Ebay charges for low duration auction listings. Sellers (again) figured out long ago that the action in an auction happens during those time periods. And for auctions, it's mostly during the last 30 seconds. 

This entire GTC thing is a scam by Ebay. Ebay itself has stated that listings get priority based on age, with "stale" listings (their phrasing) having lower rankings. This means a GTC listing that rolls over and it as 60 days gets a lower ranking than a listing where a seller manually relists it after expiring 30 days twice. Their nonsense about watchers and SEO is pure bunk. Sales speak louder than words, and I can fully attest to the above.

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

I am just so mad with Ebay doing this.  I can see where auctions would only work for items in demand.   I am absolutely furious with ebay.   

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

@toybrats wrote:

No freaking way are buyers going to scroll through thousands of stale auctions.

I've sold items that's been listed a couple years.

If a buyer is looking for what you are selling, they will find it.

Have a great day.
Message 11 of 19
latest reply

@kathieskorner wrote:

Well - since I got a 100 free auction listing promo this month - I listed 100 auctions.  Not a single one sold.  So no I won't be wasting any time listing auctions  to protest GTC.  I'll just move more listings elsewhere. 

I've never had much luck with auctions.

Have a great day.
Message 12 of 19
latest reply

@toybrats wrote:

. . . Ebay claims that GTC accounts for 80% of their auctions..   

Since auctions can't be GTC, I think you mean " . . . over 80% of fixed price listings on eBay are Good 'Til Cancelled." (Quoted from the 2019 Early Seller Update.)

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

Unfortunate. Auctions on eBay are just not what they used to be. I am running auctions, but they are all things I planned to auction anyway.

For me, the best protest I am going to do is very simple. I will pick 250 items to list at the backend of next month. I will list them and call it a day. Balance of my new inventory I pick up that would normally get listed on eBay at fixed price will have to go other venues as I will have no listing with which to list new inventory.

I have about 1000 or so items to auction off that I had planned to auction this year. I am going to actually focus on those to clear out the inventory so basically, eBay did me a favor. I doubt at this point I am going to increase my store size to the next size up. I am just not sure the sales support on the growing costs.

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

I'd much rather protest by ending all my listings, period.  And, list no more.  Since the end of February, I have had no sales whatsoever for the last 2 weeks.  I've got nearly 20 years in eBay; I'm tired of all the shenanigans.  There is no logical reason (except for a money grab) for mandatory GTC policy for all.

In the famous words of Chief Joseph, "My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. "

Message 15 of 19
latest reply