cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Preloved fashion, circular economy....fees?

At the last seller Check In, ebay indicated that it would be pushing "pre-loved fashion" on the site (as they've been doing in the UK for a while now). It sounds like they have had some success in the UK, for a competitor is now taking a tip from ebay's Sneaker playbook. A few years ago, when ebay was bleeding sneaker sales to newer sites focused on only sneakers, ebay got rid of fees for sneakers (they eventually brought them back, of course). Well, at least in the UK, Depop is getting rid of seller fees , but doing it with a twist....adding a buyer fee of "up to 5% " on every purchase. (Note, this is apparently only for new listings...)

https://internetretailing.net/depop-scraps-uk-sellers-fees-in-boost-to-circular-fashion/

Will ebay follow depop's lead? This is clearly a category ebay wants to "win" (as they always say about sneakers and the other focus categories).  I'm sure ebay will be watching depop's results carefully.

(I don't have a lot of details on this change, as I don't sell on the platform, but I'm sure others will probably have more info)

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques  yep, I definitely think this move by Depop is at least in part in reaction to eBay testing out fee-free selling for private (non-business) sellers in the UK.

So far on the eBay side it is being done as a promotion running through April from what I've gleaned from the UK boards.

https://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Business-Seller-Board/Free-listing-and-no-fees-for-private-sellers/t...

https://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Seller-Central/Inviataion-only-free-listings-until-15th-April/td-p/7...

But I expect it's likely eBay may extend that permanently in the UK like they have in Germany, especially considering the very noticeable recent shift with Jamie "leaning in" on C2C success in Germany on the last earnings call and investor conferences and other indicators we've seen that eBay may be pivoting back to a broader consumer-seller focus as the narrow "high value, enthusiast buyer vertical focus" does not appear to have been working nearly as well as they would like everyone to think.

eBay still isn't answering questions about Chief Business Strategy Officer Stefanie Jay's departure in January, though they have at least tacitly confirmed it by quietly finally removing her from the Our Leaders page this week.

stefjayconfirmed.jpg

They also have not announced a replacement for her yet, though with the shuffle of Dawn Block becoming US GM and Adam Ireland moving to an as yet to be disclosed new position within the company, it won't surprise me if Adam ends up stepping into a significant strategy role, especially given his previous history at eBay.

If Adam does end up in a strategy leadership role, that will be even further confirmation in my mind that eBay may be finally being forced to come to grips with the idea the strategy they've pursued the last ~3 years or so is not the path to long term sustainable growth, but of course who knows if they'll be able to come up with something better and/or if it isn't already too late.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

I was streaming Hulu last night and saw an ad for ebay AG which I thought had a really weird vibe to it, then I saw an ad for Depop and I swear because they didn't actually mention depop until the end I thought ebay was finally "getting it" and doing an ad for preloved fashion. The theme was "You loved it and now you're over it so resell it"

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 4 of 12
latest reply

@toomuchstuffagain35 that's an interesting observation.

When Jamie first took the helm in 2020, his "vision" was very much about the whole focus vertical thing *AND* doubling down on eBay's core strength in C2C - they were not initially seen as mutually exclusive things.

https://investors.ebayinc.com/investor-news/press-release-details/2020/eBay-Inc-Names-Jamie-Iannone-...

I am honored to rejoin eBay as its next Chief Executive Officer," said Mr. Iannone. "In my previous experience with the Company, I developed a deep appreciation for what makes eBay so special.

eBay 's success has always been rooted in its robust C2C platform. I believe the Company has tremendous opportunities to capitalize on this foundation, innovate for the future and grow its ecosystem.

He told CNBC in July 2020:

I'm not satisfied with where we are and I see enormous upside potential in really getting back and focused on the customer experience.

I'm planning on leading what I'm calling the tech led reimagination of eBay and that's using our technology and next-gen compelling experiences in three different areas.

First building compelling experiences in key verticals that are really core to eBay and also getting back to our consumer selling that's individual selling which is really important to the platform.

Second is being the seller platform of choice,especially around non-new in season. We've got a 500 billion dollar opportunity in the core of what eBay is great at in non-new in season and being the seller platform of choice there is a huge opportunity.

And then third is building lifelong trusted buyer relationships.

But in 2021, after Stefanie Jay came over from Walmart to take on the newly created role of Chief Business Strategy Officer, non-new in season consumer sellers got pretty much dropped from the conversation unless they also happened to fit within the very narrowly focused categories of sneakers, luxury goods, trading cards, etc.

To your point about the theme of that Depop ad you saw - anyone remember the eBay It Forward ads from early 2021 (again before that shift to a more narrow focus)? 

Yes one was about luxury handbags and another about watches, but they also had one specifically about vintage clothing and one more general one featuring kitchen appliances, outdoor equipment, home goods and more with a theme of "Sell What Didn't Work Out To Make Room For What Does."

I suspect if eBay had kept that broader focus Iannone originally talked about, things may be different today and I also suspect they're finally starting to realize that and try to correct but it may be more difficult now as competitors have had 3 years to nibble away at that market share.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

@valueaddedresource I've always said there's nothing wrong with focus categories per se. They are evidence that ebay finally grasped what Donahoe and Wenig did not: that one size does not fit all, whether we're talking about fees, return policies, marketing or whatever. The problem has been ebay's exclusive focus on the focus categories to the detriment of the site overall (and ebay's revenue , in my opinion)

I'm cautiously----very cautiously---optimistic that ebay has finally recognized that they need to broaden their focus, and they need to recognize that First Party ads can only buy them so much breathing room, as competing sites continue to take market share away from ebay.

They need a broader marketing strategy, and they need to do more "horizontal" improvements, along with the focus category stuff. 

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

then I saw an ad for Depop and I swear because they didn't actually mention depop until the end I thought ebay was finally "getting it" 

@toomuchstuffagain35 

Depop is owned by Etsy, not eBay.  It will be interesting to watch if the "buyer premium", as it is called in the industry, works out.  

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

In lots of years experience, I have seen buyer's premiums at auctions reduce the price realized for items I've consigned. Buyers make decisions based on the total they have to pay, including shipping.

Eliminate the fee, and if the buyer's premium reaches the fee, you break even.

IMO a buyer's premium will hurt sales in the short run, number of sales as well as total revenue.

There are categories on Ebay where Ebay is the big fish. Their sales may not be growing quickly but Ebay is making most of the online sales. No reason to focus on them, unless they can find a way to create more collectors.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote:

then I saw an ad for Depop and I swear because they didn't actually mention depop until the end I thought ebay was finally "getting it" 

@toomuchstuffagain35 

Depop is owned by Etsy, not eBay.  It will be interesting to watch if the "buyer premium", as it is called in the industry, works out.  

I'm well aware, but the ad didn't even mention the depop name until the end.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 9 of 12
latest reply

@ittybitnot I agree it will be interesting to see how the buyer premium idea works out.

In some categories it is more standard from what I've gathered, so buyers may not balk too much, especially if it means potentially lower prices over all (assuming Depop UK sellers lower their prices in line with the new fee structure).

eBay Vault works off of buyer premium fees rather than selling fees but those were waived since launch and are only set to actually start being charged next month, so it's yet to be seen how eBay buyers may react to that. And even once it does go into effect, again I think it is something more common with similar vault services so that buyer segment may be more receptive to it than in other categories.

With eBay's fee free private/consumer selling in Germany and the current test in UK they did not institute a buyer fee but I believe they've said that in Germany only about 20% of sellers are C2C so I'm sure they've done the math very carefully (including ad fees etc.) to figure out they could make that change without needing to risk turning off buyers and still come out ROI positive in the end.

Either way, it's definitely an interesting development to see sites toying with different fee structures like this.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

@valueaddedresource 

"it's definitely an interesting development to see sites toying with different fee structures like this."

Agreed. And frankly I have no prediction as to how it will turn out, for depop or ebay's response , but it's something to keep an eye on for sellers.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:

Will ebay follow depop's lead?

I cannot see eBay implementing buyer fees.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply