cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Potential new scam: Multiple QTY, claims rec'd less QTY than ordered

Buyer orders 6 units, emails me and says he only received 3 units, wants me to ship him another 3 units.

I specifically remember shipping 6 units because, strangely, I experienced a surge in orders that day in which all the buyers ordered 6 units each. None of them ordered less or more. I recall it because it was out of the ordinary.

Now, two of the buyers so far have emailed me (on the same day, one hour apart) saying they only received 3 units but I know for a fact that I shipped them 6 units. After checking their orders and paypal transactions, I am seeing that they are all different ebay accounts, and all the paypal shipping addresses are different. The paypal shipping addresses are all confirmed, and some were paid via "mobile payment" while others were paid via "checkout." I do not see anything in common or any red flags about these payments.

Has anyone else experienced this buyer behavior? What can be done to reduce exposure to this scam? I already have the setting "Block payments from users who: Have non-U.S. PayPal accounts" checked.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Not much choice in this.

One: return for refund.

Two send them three more items, and hope then they do not do a item not as described case on top of everything else..

Edited to add dont forget to put them on your blocked bidders list.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Well, the two complaints add up to 6 units so are you sure you didn't send 3 to each buyer?  Everyone makes mistakes.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Yes, I recall the orders that day, I definitely shipped 6 units to each buyer.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Can't you tell by the weight?  What did the package you sent weigh?

How much does 3 weigh?  How much does 6 weigh?

This info may not help you with a ebay dispute but at least you'll know for sure if the buyer lying or if you make a mistake?

Good luck and stay safe!

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

The system I use has the weights as presets. So if the order was for qty 6, the system already has that weight selected, so the label would have printed for that preset weight. So the weight will not tell me if it was 3 units or 6 units. But I specifically recall putting 6 units in all the packages that day.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

We have issues with parts that we add fasteners to, that are fairly easy to drop and lose. What we have done is started photographing all our orders with the customer name on the shipping box or bag. That way we can send them the photo of what was sent and ask them what's missing, and can they show us how it got out of the package. Also, we staple small parts in a bag to the packing slip.  

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Now, two of the buyers so far have emailed me (on the same day, one hour apart) saying they only received 3 units 

That is certainly odd.  Neither of these people have filed with eBay yet, correct?  

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Correct, they have only messaged me. So far.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

The 6 units per order that I shipped are bigger items that could not be lost by falling out of the bag or by dropping on the ground.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply