cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible to remove tax from invoice?

Hi, brand new seller, in fact I just accepted on offer on my first sale.  Haven’t realized that the offer requested no tax.  I’m fine with eating the tax but can’t figure out how to remove it from the invoice.  Anyone offer any helps?  Thankfully the seller is understanding and willing to wait but I don’t want to leave him waiting to long.

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

@tilarium 

You can not remove the tax. eBay is required to collect/remit that tax to the state that the item is shipped to.

If there is buyer paid shipping involved you can adjust that by invoicing.

Final option would  be to refund the buyer = to the amount of sales tax after payment.

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

@tilarium 

No, if the buyer State requires Ebay to collect sales tax, it can't be removed.

Have a great day
Message 3 of 17
latest reply

The tax is figured in when payment is made.  It will be included when buyer receives request for payment.  Not all states require taxes.  Ebay takes care of colllecting and paying the state for taxes collected.  You can't take the taxes off and your buyer knows it will be included.

If you sell over $600.00 you and the IRS will receive a 1099 for your sales.   You might want to keep records so you can deduct all expenses and fees from that 1099 so your not paying taxes on expenses.

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

Can you imagine what might happen if a buyer, who probably lives in a state which does require sales tax, went into his local Walmart or Target to buy, oh, anything, really, that is normally taxable within that state -- and then when he gets to the checkout line, tell the register operator:

"Oh, I don't want to pay sales tax.   I request that you not charge me sales tax."  

Yeaaaahhh -- No.  It doesn't work that way.   Regardless of the dollar amount of the sale, a $4.00 vintage postcard or a $400.00 poster.  

Assuming the worst -- the highest tax percentage on any sale I had during 2020 was over a bit over 10% (State of Washington) -- are you really willing to "eat" as much as $40.00?   

If you want to save money for your customer, offer to pay for upgraded shipping.  Give him a discount.   But do NOT waive the sales tax.  

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

@tilarium wrote:

Hi, brand new seller, in fact I just accepted on offer on my first sale.  Haven’t realized that the offer requested no tax.  I’m fine with eating the tax but can’t figure out how to remove it from the invoice.  Anyone offer any helps?  Thankfully the seller is understanding and willing to wait but I don’t want to leave him waiting to long.

You can't request no tax. That's not valid in negotiations. Tell him that because he lives in X state, he needs to pay sales taxes for online purchases and pretty much if he doesn't like it he can cancel.

C.

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

This has happened to us a couple times. It seems that people politically opposed to taxes like to badger sellers about it. Like it's on us - not the government. It's a form of senseless bullying.

We ignore the request, send the invoice. We figure if we get negged for it eBay will remove it given their ILLEGAL request.

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

"Thankfully the seller (I assume you mean buyer) is understanding and willing to wait . . ."

No, if he is requesting that you waive the state sales tax, he doesn't understand at all.

Ask him if he does not pay state sales tax on his WalMart purchases.  How about that car he just bought?

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

@tilarium wrote:

I’m fine with eating the tax but can’t figure out how to remove it from the invoice.  Anyone offer any helps?  

You said your fine with eating the tax.  To me this means you are willing to pay the tax on their behalf, yes/no?

The tax will be on the invoice so you can not remove it.   What you can do if you send them an invoice before they pay is to offer a discount of the sales tax amount.  There was on option on the Invoice a short time ago that allowed for a discount.  I would think that is is still available on this new format. 

If your charging for shipping you could also reduce the shipping by the amount of the sales tax.

If all else fails you could relist your item with Buy It Now and adjust the price so that it works out the the agreed upon price.  Sales tax would still be charged but you would be paying it because you reduced the price to include it.

Example price is $20 plus $1 tax total of $21.00, reduce price to $19 and with tax total price will be near $20

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

You are a new seller. Buyer is bullying you, and saying his offer didn't include tax is **bleep**. This guy is going to be a pain when he receives his item -- just watch.

They didn’t say it was your fault. They said they blame you.
Message 10 of 17
latest reply

It’s Biden doing this to us 

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

.......................................... that's it.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 12 of 17
latest reply

he needs to pay sales taxes for online purchases and pretty much if he doesn't like it he can cancel.

If they will cheat on taxes, they will cheat on you.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

Original message dated 05/08/21.

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

It’s Biden doing this to us 

I assume the OP was referring to sales tax. In this case sales tax is a state law not a federal one. While the laws governing the application of sales tax to ecommerce purchases was validated by the US Supreme Court that ruling was based on the US Constitution and those responsible for that document are long gone. The sales tax laws are governed by the individual laws of each state. 

Some buyers have a resale certification which allows them to not pay sales tax on purchases but it's the buyer that must set this up on their account so when the purchase is made eBay, or any other ecommerce site does not apply the sales tax. 

Message 15 of 17
latest reply