cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help w/ a Best Offer question - TIA!

A potential buyer sent me a 70% off offer yesterday. After I declined he sent me the following message, "Don't worry about it. I have several more offers I can make on your XXX. If it does not sell soon, I will make more offers."

Today he sent a closer Best Offer. When I responded with a counter offer this message came up...

"XXXXX is considering your counteroffer

With only 48h 00m to respond, you should be hearing back from this buyer soon. This buyer has 9 offers remaining."

Nine offers?! Glitch or new rule I missed?
Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

I believe that's just how many offers he has out in total to all sellers. 

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

AFAIK, buyer only gets three best offers.  I googled, how many best offers etc, and the verbage says that you can make up to three best offers on MOST items.

It does not specify what items may have more than three best offers, and frankly, in my experience, I have never encountered that.

Interesting!  What is the item and what category is it in?  Perhaps that has bearing on this.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

"Nine offers?!"

My guess?  ebay reaching out to cat lovers everywhere?

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

@hollys_hobbies73 wrote:

I believe that's just how many offers he has out in total to all sellers. 

Yup. Sounds like a code glitch. It totals them altogether even if its offers going out to other sellers as well.

I learned about 3 strikes & your out the hard way. Made a couple of offers that got auto rejected becuase the seller had an offer limit. I didnt think my offers were unreasonable but i came up much higher on my 3rd. That got rejected instantly too & i was told that i could make no furhter offers - just Buyitnow if I wanted.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Not a glitch.  I had the same question and called ECS.  eBay has changed the number of offers to 10 on some categories, including collectibles.  Also it seems like the new norm is 5 offers.

My questions include:

☞ Did eBay ever announce the change to sellers?

☞ Did eBay ever ask sellers if the change was a good idea?

Personally, I'm not happy with the change at all. 

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

@imapaqrat wrote:

Not a glitch.  I had the same question and called ECS.  eBay has changed the number of offers to 10 on some categories, including collectibles.  Also it seems like the new norm is 5 offers.

My questions include:

☞ Did eBay ever announce the change to sellers?

Did eBay ever ask sellers if the change was a good idea?

Personally, I'm not happy with the change at all. 

Have they ever? 

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

"Don't worry about it. I have several more offers I can make on your XXX. If it does not sell soon, I will make more offers."

Sounds malicious and worthy of the ID being blocked.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 8 of 13
latest reply

@imapaqrat wrote:

Well if that's the case eBay should update their policy page and send out an announcement. They could have put this in the last Seller Update but they didn't....

https://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/best-offer.html

You can make up to 3 Best Offers for most items. Expired offers, declined offers, and retracted offers all count towards the limit of 3 Best Offers.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

@copper.boom wrote:

@imapaqrat wrote:

Well if that's the case eBay should update their policy page and send out an announcement. They could have put this in the last Seller Update but they didn't....

https://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/best-offer.html

You can make up to 3 Best Offers for most items. Expired offers, declined offers, and retracted offers all count towards the limit of 3 Best Offers.

Perhaps sellers are the last to know because when it comes to software development eBay's practicing what's called in the biz, "Continuous Deployment."   

For an explanation of how it works on another similar site, see: http://sciencemeetsbusiness.com.au/tag/chad-dickerson/

If so, no wonder the left hand has no idea what the right is doing...  

Seriously.  Who comes up with this stuff?

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Really, that sounds malicious to you? To me it reads as someone who is saying they aren't offended by their offer being declined, and plan to make higher offers soon if someone else doesn't buy it first.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

@megadestroyers wrote:

"Nine offers?!"

My guess?  ebay reaching out to cat lovers everywhere?

Smiley LOL

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

You could always put him on your BBL since you already declined his offer.  By declining the offer you have given him no counter offer to consider.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 13 of 13
latest reply