cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PayPal Question

I know this is the selling  area. Since there are about a thousand more members here, I wanted to ask.

FROM PayPal

Jun 30, 2018: "Before we can offer you certain products and services, federal regulations require that we collect specific information to verify your identity. This information includes your name, address, date of birth, and National Tax ID or Social Security Number. We haven't been able to verify your identity using the information you provided, so we need some additional documentation from you".

"Until this issue is resolved, you'll be able to log in to your PayPal account but you might not be able to add money to it or use some of your account features".

END of MESSAGE.

PayPal claims this is needed per certain government requirements but fails to specify which requirements. They also fail to advise just what "Products and Services" they can't offer me. 

If they can't offer me a credit card like they do ever few days, Oh happy day!

Partial Repeat;  "We haven't been able to verify your identity using the information you provided, so we need some additional documentation from you".

This is not even close to being true. It's a lie.

Any thoughts or experiences?

"Fly the Big Ones"
Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

PayPal Question

I'm thinking it means that they can't offer you a business account or a debit card unless you provide your social security number. New banking regulations after 9/11 require all bank accounts, debit cards Etc to verify the identity of the person requesting them.

Also if you are a seller you may need to provide your social security number to PayPal so that they can send you a 1099 form.
Message 2 of 4
latest reply

PayPal Question

Be sure it's actually from Paypal. I've never seen "National Tax ID", only TIN or EIN.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 3 of 4
latest reply

PayPal Question

They are probably talking about verifying your TAX identity. 

PayPal is required by law to file a 1099K  if you meet certain thresholds, and there are legal and financial penalties if they do not. 

Since they cannot force you to give them your tax ID after you meet those thresholds, they require you to provide that information long before you reach them - and will hold your account hostage until you do. 

That being said - do not trust messages in emails; always log into your PayPal account make sure it really came from them. 

Message 4 of 4
latest reply