cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One example of something we take for granted on eBay

I guess I never consciously noticed this until just tonight, but as much as we might not like how much "messier" eBay looks with all the promotion stuff, it is still the easiest and most stable shopping site interface to browse through.  -I'm doing a little source-scouting on Etsy right now, and good god the popups are just bananas, even worse than last time I was there.  Literally every time you click on a listing you get a popup saying "Don't miss out on an item you've Favorited!" and it looks like they're using the most recently favorited, so how stupid is that?  Do they think I forgot what I did just 90 seconds ago? I favorited that thing so I CAN come back to it when I'm ready!  

0392F372-9313-4DDE-88D8-2079D1455514.png

Then a lot of other sites (Temu comes to mind) have the bouncy/disappearing/reappearing banner rows at the top.  Then others have things that activate when you simply scroll over them -like pulldown menus that have a clear arrow to click if you want to -oh but you don't have to; it's gonna pull down just from passing over it, and then the thing next to it, then the thing next to that.  It's like there's almost no DMZ for your poor little cursor to rest, it's ALL combat zones.  😆  

And in many cases, not only are all these pushy and touchy features irritating; they often slow everything down, namely page loads.  On Etsy it seems to have a cumulating effect, where the longer you're there, the more sluggish the commands get.  -Not a good way to keep people shopping!    Hey Etsy, why not add some improvisational hot jazz with no volume control?  

I'll admit, once in a while I kinda wish eBay would scroll-zoom the search page thumbnail images rather than require a click to see them better,  but hey, I would rather not have that than for the whole thing become a dang clown show like most websites.  

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Hello gurlcat,

Thank you for your positive post. eBay staff loves to read great feedback. This forum is made up of volunteer eBay Buyers and Sellers, but no eBay staff. Almost all pages on eBay though have a "feedback" link. It would be great if you let them know your positive thoughts. Thank you for shopping on eBay!

Organizer: eBay Meetup Group: S.E. Michigan Online Sellers, Resellers and Thrifters eBay Etc
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

I wouldn't touch Temu with a ten foot pole... it's a China data collection operation with the secondary objective to siphon sales from reputable online sellers.

But that's just me...Tik Tok is another China data collection operation with secondary objective to corrupt children and sow division.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Well you might not touch Temu but a lot of people do.  And here's something they have over eBay -if your order delivery is even one day past the last expected date, they automatically give you a $5 credit.  And one time ... I don't even know what happened with this one ... I wasn't watching the dates but I didn't feel my order came unsually late, but apparently it did according to their standards.  The next time I went there I saw that I had a $37 credit (the cost of my entire last order) with an apology for things not going according to plan.  Like I said, I DID receive the order and it didn't even seem like it took that long.  

If eBay sellers of new items aren't afraid of Temu, they should be.  It takes a bit longer to receive items than a domestic shipment, but not by much (certainly not as long as Wish, where you might as well forget about it for a good month or so), and like I say, they give monetary apologies for when they are slow.  Can't even imagine eBay doing that, and if they did they would probably charge it to the sellers.  

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

A lot of marketplaces are cluttered messes* - but top honours go to eBay's mobile app which is awful.

I use Temu from time to time, but I'm not big on acquisition (except for inventory and running shoes).

*Etsy's popups are crazy.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Ha I always forget that eBay's mobile app is not only a thing but the thing a lot of people think eBay "is."  Yikes, it's awful.  

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

@oaktoncardinal wrote:

I wouldn't touch Temu with a ten foot pole... it's a China data collection operation with the secondary objective to siphon sales from reputable online sellers.

But that's just me...Tik Tok is another China data collection operation with secondary objective to corrupt children and sow division.

@oaktoncardinal 

I agree.  I find it interesting that for many years lots of Ebay sellers come to the forums complaining about sellers from China and how they are taking over, not to mention hard to compete with.  One of my regular come backs to that was if there wasn't a market for them here, they would not be here.  So clearly plenty of people are willing to purchase from them which is why they remain on the site.

Now there are the issues that TikTok and Temu bring to the table.  Many simply do not see or understand the danger, but it is there and it is real.

It is really scary to even think about how many people depend on TikTok for only source of news.  Which is why so many are incorrectly informed and getting influenced by very bad information.  Scares me!

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 7 of 7
latest reply