cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ok, returns are getting ridiculou

Um, I'm getting a ton of remorse returns!. I do sell a lot of items in a higher return category. clothing, shoes. handbags.  

but geez. I take clear pictures. i list measurements.  I understand, sometimes things don't fit right. that's fine.  

but tonight I get a return request for a handbag,, I took a ton of pictures. They are very clear. Anyone who would have purchased this handbag likes this style... 

tonight i get a return request.  

reason.." sorry, i just didn't love it, or like it."  um, then why did you buy it!

I really believe with ebay's policies basically forcing sellers to accept returns or else.. 

buyers now basically really are just buying to try it...   EXACTLY  what I predicted would happen. 

Ebay really should consider bringing back the option for sellers to have a restocking fee... 

It was a great solution.. It prevented buy and try purchases and made buyers much more careful before buying things willy nilly... 

The only reason ebay stopped the restocking fee option is because i'm sure buyers complained. ebay didn't make it very visible to buyers regarding sellers having a restocking fee..   

Ebay could have easily programmed in a pop up or something when a buyer checks out. saying, fyi,,this seller may charge a restocking fee for remorse returns.., it's not rocket science to program something like that into listings.. geez.

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

I feel so sorry for sellers in the garments category... They have it tough.

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

Yes, I’m getting really frustrated by the amount of returns I’ve been seeing as well. I typically get a lot of returns but now I’m getting A LOT of returns. It’s become some type of strange epidemic. All the higher priced items with expensive packaging and shipping costs. 

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

@buzzapparel wrote:

Yes, I’m getting really frustrated by the amount of returns I’ve been seeing as well. I typically get a lot of returns but now I’m getting A LOT of returns. It’s become some type of strange epidemic. All the higher priced items with expensive packaging and shipping costs. 

It is something that retail in general has been plagued with over the last few years.  This is why they have dubbed it "renting" and friendly fraud.

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

This is absolutely on point. The worst part is that we don’t get competitive shipping rates through eBay channels to have such unrestrictive return policies.

Many things I buy I cannot return, but I must accept returns for those items. Many items I sell are not refundable in stores that sell them, or they have very specific refund policies that typically lead to store credit.

It seems that on eBay someone can buy a cake, eat it, then return the leftover crumbs. And actually that’s completely true... 

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

you forgot the final portion..

they can buy the cake, eat it, return the crumbs

AND THEN RECEIVE A FULL REFUND.. OFTEN HAVING SHIPPING PAID BOTH WAYS!..UGGG

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

The buyer has clearly said that this is a Buyer Remorse request.

You are not required to pay return shipping on those.

I suggest sending a Message back "I regret that you did not like the purse as much as you thought you would. Please return it for a full refund."

If she asks for return shipping : "I regret that you did not like the purse as much as you thought you would. Please return it for a full refund."

If she opens a Not As Described dispute "I regret that you did not like the purse as much as you thought you would. Please return it for a full refund."

On this one you may have to phone Customer Service and show those "I don't love it" messages to have the SNAD refused. Fingers crossed.

If she loses the Dispute, that's the end of it.

She cannot leave feedback.

Your selling account remains pristine.

Keep it polite and professional. In your price range, it is possible you are running into renters, who want the status item for an event.

You may also want to use Cookie Jar Insurance, adding a few pennies (or dollars) to each asking price as a self-insurance premium against the cost of returns.

Best is not to have any. Second best is having a Cookie Jar to pull those Return Shipping Labels from.

And then relisting a clean item, just as you sold it, as soon as you get it back.

(And if it isn't-- that's a different story. But in my opinion, treating even the most entitled purse-dog-toting twit politely and professionally, takes the heat out of any situation. )

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

I have sold very few pieces of clothing and couple pairs of shoes. I usually stay clear of that category but it was stuff I had laying around that was nice so I figured I try it. NEVER had one complaint and got glowing feedback. Thank god. Every now and then I will see a great deal on something brand new and think man that would be great to sell with a nice mark up but I am always leary, I see it happen to so many people with the returns. I have it bad enough with the returns on the auto stuff I sell...lol.
Message 8 of 18
latest reply

Felt so bad for a friend of mine. She sells high end handbags and purses, and I mean these things are like brand new. She sent me two just as a gift. She said she used them but I would have never known, i mean these bags are immaculate. Anyways, someone bought a $400 bag from her and this one was actually brand new, with tags, never used. She bought it and never got around to using it and and sold it for $200 less than what she paid. Well buyer had remorse and tried to return. My friend denied return (by the way this is on another platform), and the buyer then said it was damaged. So she could return. She actually cut the straps on the bag just to return it!! You could clearly see she took scissors and just cut both straps in pieces. I was so peed off for her. I know the bag was not like that cause she sent me pictures to see if I wanted it before she listed it. Its so sad ppl do things like that.
Message 9 of 18
latest reply

"Free" returns is just asking for trouble.

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

I don't know how people that would do something like that can sleep at night.
Reality is the leading cause of stress.
Message 11 of 18
latest reply

@myjunqueyourtreasure wrote:
I don't know how people that would do something like that can sleep at night.

They have their refund to keep them warm.  Smiley Frustrated

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 12 of 18
latest reply

oh that makes me sick!.. yes,, some other sites don't allow for remorse returns.  it's a shame.. I liked the concept..

I knew i was taking a bit of a risk when purchasing, however, i was also getting lower prices .. 

but now.. I read other message boards, and its a huge problem,,  buyers purposely damaging  an item just so they can claim not as described..    I guess in a round about way,, ebay pretty much forcing sellers to take returns, or risk high snad claims etc. , prevents  dissatisfied buyers from trying to game the system and damaging items.

Someone needs to tell buyers.. if you don't want to play by the rules of the site.. then don't shop there....

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

Your listings accepts returns, so any buyer can return anything for any reason. eBay is not forcing you to accept returns; you are setting it up yourself to accept any returns.

If you set no returns in your listings, you will have the option to deny any remorse or does not fit returns and it automatically closes without the buyer getting a refund or opening another return request.

You are still on hook for neutral or negative feedback, though. However, these can be removed by eBay customer support.
Message 14 of 18
latest reply

@innovatilife wrote:
Your listings accepts returns, so any buyer can return anything for any reason. eBay is not forcing you to accept returns; you are setting it up yourself to accept any returns.

If you set no returns in your listings, you will have the option to deny any remorse or does not fit returns and it automatically closes without the buyer getting a refund or opening another return request.

You are still on hook for neutral or negative feedback, though. However, these can be removed by eBay customer support.

Yeah, right. Then, the buyer just opens an SNAD and if you refuse to pay for the return, they get to keep the item and your money. 

People on here keep making it sound like eBay's policies actually give sellers any choices. They don't.

I've sold literally thousands of items on here and I think I've had someone actually click one of the remorse options for a return about twice. The cat is well out of the bag on this one. 

Message 15 of 18
latest reply