cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Offers same price as item - most likely a scam should I counter? will it hurt my rating?

I'm new to ebay.

I'm getting offers for items at the price I'm asking from accounts that are new (< couple days) and buyer has no rating.

I believe these are scams.  If I don't reply to the offer will my rating be dinged?  Do I reply with "this is the asking price.  Please proceed with normal process for buying item and decline. "

I have another case where I accepted the offer (which was asking price) and now the buyer wants me to call them before completing the purchase.  Again new buyer, no ratings, etc.  I also believe this is a scam.   What happens if I don't reply to their email.  Or do I reply with "I only communicate through ebay" and what happens if they give me a bad rating as a result.

Any guidance you can provide would be appreciated

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Offers same price as item - most likely a scam should I counter? will it hurt my rating?

You have only been on eBay as a seller for about 3 weeks so you are going to attract the scammers. Given the items you are selling quit using best offer and stay with fixed priced items with immediate payment required until you have built up some feedback and are more familiar with how eBay works. I have been selling for a long time and have not used OBO in years simply because I don't have the time for it. 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 6 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Turn off best offers.

You don't need to respond to offer, but best offer on a new account is a scammer target.

Turn off best offers. 

Don't even think about turning them back on until you have 20 feedback.

I have over 1000 sales a month and the last time I had to talk to a customer outside the ebay system was about 15 years ago when I sold a large item that needed to be picked up by the person. No one needs to talk to you outside ebay.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

They are both scams. Add both IDs to your BBL.

The first one decline the offer (or ignore it).

Tell the second one that all communications stay within eBay messages then cancel for non-payment in a few days (link). You will never hear from them and they won't leave any FB.

With 0-low FB you'll be a target for a while. Kudos for spotting the scams.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

@co_912084 wrote:

I believe these are scams.  If I don't reply to the offer will my rating be dinged?

The only reason reason for a buyer to offer the asking price is because the buyer want to avoid having to  pay for the item. 

And of course you can decline an offer without "dinging" your account. 

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

@onefootflipper wrote:

Turn off best offers.

Yes - AND set the Immediate Payment Required option checkbox. Its in the Payments section of the listing form.

You must have the IPR option set so that they cannot just hit the Buyitnow and walk away without paying.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

You have only been on eBay as a seller for about 3 weeks so you are going to attract the scammers. Given the items you are selling quit using best offer and stay with fixed priced items with immediate payment required until you have built up some feedback and are more familiar with how eBay works. I have been selling for a long time and have not used OBO in years simply because I don't have the time for it. 

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

I didn't know this was option.  Thank you!!

Message 7 of 7
latest reply