cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Offer made for $100 more than my buy it now price

Hello community, and thank you in advance for your input on this!

I received an offer for an item that is $100 more than the buy it now price the item was listed for. The buyer has a reasonable amount of recent positive feedback (and no negative feedback) and is located in the U.S. I'm still suspicious though since the offer is so high.

Does anyone have any experience with something like this? Is this the start of some kind of scam? ordinarily I'd think yes in this case, but the positive feedback is throwing me off! Thank you in advance for your input.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Yes it is the start of Scam . No one but a theif would offer more than the asking price.

It might be a stolen account.
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

It's a scam.

Ignore and block the scammer.

You are selling a high scam item, be very careful.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

If it smells fishy it probably is.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Just remember BUYERS can only receive positive feedback...so they will always stay at 100%
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

All buyers have 100% positive feedback. 

Buyers cannot receive negative feedback. 

Ask yourself why the "buyer" did

not simply BIN.

It is an attempt to SCAM you & will not be the last you encounter. 

List the phone as BIN with Immediate Payment Required. 

Better still list as Pick Up only & take cash.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

ALL buyer only accounts have 100% positive feedback received. Sellers cannot leave anything but green dots for a buyer.

This is most likely a scam.

You accept their offer, they send you a fake PayPal payment notice and you ship. They are hoping that the excitement of getting more money, you will not check to see if the payment is real.

This is often accompanied by a request to expedite the shipping using next day service ... so that they get the item before you realize you have been duped.

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

This is how it would work.

If you accepted the offer, the scammer would ask for your paypal email address so he could pay you.

Then you would receive a fake paypal email stating the scammer has paid.

Then you would ship the item if you didn't check your paypal account to make sure the funds are there.

Then you would lose the phone, and receive no money.

@andreman.9429

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

@andreman.9429

Your selling a very high scam item for a low feedback seller
As posted it is a scam

Many will ask for your Paypal email and try to fake a payment received email to you.
Block the buyer and don't reply.
always log into Paypal to make sure payment is there, never change delivery address after payment.

If you are going to sell it here ( which I wouldn't) then you should remove best offer & set it up as a Buy it now with immediate payment required & make sure block all international under your site perferences.

Good luck

Edit to say  I am off to the way way slow typing corner, no sleep last night & my mind and fingers are way to slow.Smiley Surprised

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Golly, how many ways is this a scam?  All of them.

When you agree to their 'price' you might find out that the extra hundred is for shipping to their sick son in Nigeria, or some other pitiful scammer story.

And you will probably get a request for your paypal account so they can pay you all the money since the sold page doesn't have the correct offer on it - so you send your paypal address and within seconds you get an email that looks like it's from the pal saying you got cash, ok to ship.

And maybe even an email begging you to ship quick.

Before you realize that there is no money in your account.

Or get a email saying that you've got money, but since you aren't that experienced in selling, the pal has a hold on it until tracking shows delivered.

Or you might have a patient buy-uh-scammer and he will wait until you ship to file a not described dispute on you to get his money back.

There are more, but those are the basics.

And I recommend that no seller list any high dollar/high risk/high scam item on ebay until they have as much selling feedback as the dollar value of the item they are listing.  That way, the seller can get experience about how ebay works and learn just how risky it really is here.

(*Bleep*)
Message 10 of 10
latest reply