cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non paying bidders who claim to be ww2 veterans and never wore a uniform- stolen valor

Hello- I just wanted to voice my opinion on how it seems ebay is more concerned with the dishonest non paying bidders than the honest sellers. I have been a seller for over 15 years, with over 1200 POS. FB's! yet sellers CANNOT leave neg. FB, yet BUYERS can, even if the buyer is a non paying bidder, who also identifies himself a ww2 veteran and is not, never wore a uniform, and is repulsive to any veteran of any war, yet impersonates these greatest generation heroes. According to ebay a seller cannot leave neg. FB, even on a non paying, or dishonest buyer since "they don't want to allienate buyers from bidding", honest bidders are NOT non payers, yet the seller gets stuck with the item, gets his auction ruined, and has no recourse except the "strike" by filing a case on the buyer which NEVER gets seen by other sellers, and goes away after a few months, that is a joke in my opinion. Sellers deserve the same consideration as buyers, especially non payers.

Vets should make thier opinions on this heard, not stifled, or hidden away so the non paying bidder phony can do it when he pleases to others.

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Non paying bidders who claim to be ww2 veterans and never wore a uniform- stolen valor

I'm not quite sure why it matters to you if the buyer is a WWII veteran or not.  If the buyer fails to pay you file a UID and close it if he still fails to pay after 96 hours giving him a strike and move on.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 2 of 18
latest reply

TIME...

The Strikes that nonpayers have on  their Accounts   do not  disappear after only  a  few months----they stay on  the  nonpayers'  accounts for an entire year.   That is---TWELVE months. 

Do you have the  Two-Strike  Block set up  that  Ebay provides to sellers?   If not, go ito your Account and  find Buyer Requirements.  Tell Ebay you  want  to  Block all  buyers  who have Two or More nonpayment Strikes in  the  past  12 months.   This will  reduce  the number of nonpayers  that you  will  get  stuck  with in  the  future.  Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

wrote:

What is your proposed solution to this problem?

How do you suggest that eBay prevent buyers from saying things in messages to sellers? 

Is there a site like Amazon, Etsy, or Facebook that has an effective method of validating veteran status claims in member-to-member messages that you think eBay should adopt? 

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

I see you even left a negative comment for a buyer claiming he was not a WW2 vet.

Questions for you:

1.  Are you aware that eBay does not permit sellers to leave negative comments for buyers?.  That goes for the negatively worded follow-up you left for that buyer on the item he actually DID pay for and for which you originally left positive feedback.  

2.  Do you check the military records for all of your customers?
 - or only the non paying ones?

- or only the ones who tell you they are vets?

-  or only the ones who have bought US military objects that could be used to impersonate a vet such as patches and collar pins?

Just curious.

THIS SPACE LEFT INTENTIONALLY BLANK
Message 6 of 18
latest reply

wrote:

-  or only the ones who have bought US military objects that could be used to impersonate a vet such as patches and collar pins?

Just curious.

That would be a large portion of his buyers I think

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

wrote:

wrote:

Just curious.

That would be a large portion of his buyers I think

Hard to say.   Seems to have a lot of Japanese and Civil War relics.   Not all that much WWII stuff.

But then I didn't spent a huge amount of time looking.  I got a little sick looking at the child-size shackles.

THIS SPACE LEFT INTENTIONALLY BLANK
Message 8 of 18
latest reply

how it seems ebay is more concerned with the dishonest non paying bidders than the honest sellers.

The current policy not only protects buyers, but also sellers who can be professional, and don't feel the need to make feedback the rat's nest it once was.

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

Those who falsely claim to be WW2 vets should update their lies and claim to be Korean War or Vietnam vets. The time line is running out for WW2 chicanery.
Message 10 of 18
latest reply

@papyruspapillo wrote:
Those who falsely claim to be WW2 vets should update their lies and claim to be Korean War or Vietnam vets. The time line is running out for WW2 chicanery.

"Time is running out" on all three of those ... If a person was 20 years old at the end of any of those wars, in 2018 they will be:

WWII (1945) - 93

Korea (1953) - 85

Vietnam (1973) - 65

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

wrote:
@papyruspapillo wrote:

"Time is running out" on all three of those ... If a person was 20 years old at the end of any of those wars, in 2018 they will be:

WWII (1945) - 93

Korea (1953) - 85

Vietnam (1973) - 65

Actually, my time in Vietnam was '69 & '70 and being an old geezer at the time (21) you'll need to add about five years to that.  Of course, the Vietnam  War went on for quite a few years prior to my being there so there are some a bit older than I am. Smiley Wink

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 12 of 18
latest reply

Yep, I spent '69-'70 in Korea as the wife of an Army Captain & both of us are older that the given estimates. 

How many WW II vets are using a computer and still collecting memorabilia? 

----------------------------
Successful and experienced seller since 1997, over 70,000 feedback, boardie since the boards were begun.
Message 13 of 18
latest reply

Well, like I said on the other thread:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Bidding-Buying/world-war-2-sellers-concerns-re-non-paying-bidders-clai...

You can't tell from a username and the OP offered no other information.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 14 of 18
latest reply

wrote:

wrote:
@papyruspapillo wrote:

WWII (1945) - 93

Korea (1953) - 85

Vietnam (1973) - 65

Actually, my time in Vietnam was '69 & '70 and being an old geezer at the time (21) you'll need to add about five years to that.  Of course, the Vietnam  War went on for quite a few years prior to my being there so there are some a bit older than I am. Smiley Wink

😉

Yes, my numbers would be the lower end ... if you look at career non-coms and officers, that age can be raised by quite a few years.

My Dad was in Korea ... he would have been 89 this year.

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 15 of 18
latest reply