cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New ebay member / buyer wants to ship to different address that is on paypal...

Longtime ebayer here. I know this is a redundant post but I want to get some direct insight on this issue from members...

I listed an iPhone 7 Plus today and someone bought it who was a new member as of today and of course 0 FB..  Ironically later on when I was getting ready to print the label I get a message from this person changing the address to a different city in Florida which now looks like an International shipping forwarding company. I've had successful transactions with members who do this because they actually don't live in the US. But in this case I'm learning that maybe I shouldn't send it because I will not have seller protection? And this buyer can't change the address to an already paid item? Can someone walk me thru what I should do? 

Also, I sold an apple watch today to a member who had the right Doral Florida address we know and love that is a relay shipping center but this member was up front had great FB and told me that they were in Dominican Republic.

Hopefully someone can advise. My feeling is to ship the watch but cancel and refund the iphone.

One more thing, I got so many emails today after these 2 sales from new members that were obviously scams trying to get me to ship to a totally different address cause of a family illness or accident etc...Its crazy.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Scam! Only ship to the address ebay or PayPal gives you. And log into your PayPal account to make sure they really did pay for the phone. The change of address email probably didn't even come from your buyer. Did you check to see if the 2 IDs were the same?
=================================================
Search for Anything. 0 results.
Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Your instincts are correct--if you send this to an alternate address you will lost your seller protection. The buyer had the opportunity to change the address to whatever they want during checkout. If they didn't do this, then it is suspect to request it after the fact. There are buyers who forget and then try to rectify it by getting the seller to ship without their protection. In fact, I have obliged a buyer in the past who did this, but it was not an expensive item like a smartphone. So tell the buyer you cannot send it to an alternate address. Tell them you would have to cancel the sale at their request, and relist it and they would have to then repurchase it with the correct address. Remember, that a seller-initiated cancellation of a transaction can cause the seller to get a defect on their account from eBay. That needs to be avoided.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Thanks so much for the reply's. So I have to message the buyer and tell them to cancel? correct?

What about the Apple Watch buyer? Should I ship that?

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

I did check my paypal and have the money. The address is very similiar to the one given. Its the difference of Gainesville FL and Miami FL. It is the same Member ID.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Any change of address and you loose selle  protection. Cancel the order and have him purchase again with the correct address. Any eBayer would understand this. Even with the same ID he can still claim not received. Your call

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

@2muchstuffgot2go wrote:

Thanks so much for the reply's. So I have to message the buyer and tell them to cancel? correct?

What about the Apple Watch buyer? Should I ship that?

No, the change-of-address email was probably not from your buyer. Scammers get in between you and your buyer and try to get you to ship it to them instead. Your buyer (probably) isn't involved or aware of the scam--all they know (or would know in the future) is that they didn't receive the item.

Ship only to the address provided by eBay/PayPal.

If you'd like, you could always contact your REAL buyer and confirm this information with them.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

@nkmipgolf wrote:

Cancel the order and have him purchase again with the correct address.

@2muchstuffgot2go 

Please do not take this advice without doing some investigating first.

While it is certainly true that you lose seller protection if you change the address, both @aramintaca and I have already suggested, the request to change the shipping address most likely did not come from your real buyer

If you are concerned about where to ship the item, contact your real buyer for guidance. Chances are your real buyer won't know anything about the change of address. If, however, s/he has actually asked for the change in shipping address, feel free to cancel at that time and have him/her repurchase the item with the correct shipping address.

Automatically canceling the transaction on the advice of someone on the discussion boards does not make for a pleasurable buyer experience. Find out the truth from your real buyer first, then proceed as appropriate.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

@eleanor*rigby wrote:

@nkmipgolf wrote:

Cancel the order and have him purchase again with the correct address.

@2muchstuffgot2go 

Please do not take this advice without doing some investigating first.

While it is certainly true that you lose seller protection if you change the address, both @aramintaca and I have already suggested, the request to change the shipping address most likely did not come from your real buyer

If you are concerned about where to ship the item, contact your real buyer for guidance. Chances are your real buyer won't know anything about the change of address. If, however, s/he has actually asked for the change in shipping address, feel free to cancel at that time and have him/her repurchase the item with the correct shipping address.

Automatically canceling the transaction on the advice of someone on the discussion boards does not make for a pleasurable buyer experience. Find out the truth from your real buyer first, then proceed as appropriate.

Thank you, I contacted the buyer about canceling and then changing address and buying again if they want. 

Question, do I cancel or does buyer. What a hassle.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Buyers can't cancel a transaction--they can only request that you cancel it. You should cancel it using "problem with buyer's address" as the reason. Keep in mind you'll have to pay PayPal fees, even though the transaction has been cancelled. You MAY have to call to get your eBay fees refunded, but PayPal keeps theirs.

So glad you checked with your buyer directly about the change of address! 

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

So I heard from this new member that bought phone and they said ship it to either address. Problem is the address that's on paypal doesn't look right....I'm worried about the forward slashes in street number. My instinct is to cancel and refund, risk the new member giving me negative FB and move on. Or should I just send it to the paypal with the funky address and risk it getting a never received claim. I just have the feeling this person doesn't even live in Florida since the address she messaged me was a shipping forward company address. I'm just trying to save myself a hassle but it's already one.

Example of what is on paypal...
Name
12/34 nw 50/th st
apt..
City State Zip
Message 11 of 13
latest reply

I ended up canceling the order. Buyer didn't want to fix the address. It was very sketchy. My instincts told me to cancel to avoid further hassle and scam. Got ebay final value credit and paypal fee reversal.

Thanks for all that replied and helped.
Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Of course after it's all said and done. The member is no longer a registered user. Scam all along IMO.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply