cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Seller for Estate Doll Collection

I have a doll collection to sell and would like someone to sell it for me.  Located in Philadelphia area.  I sell on eBay but cannot handle a collection this big.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Chances are unlikely that you'll find anyone here. You'd be best served to advertise locally. Good luck, though!

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

No one here is going to want to do that. Sellers want to own the products there are selling, as consignment isn't a good idea for most sellers. 

If it's a valuable collection, you might be better served finding a auction house that handles that type of merchandise. A large collections may take a seller here significant time to sell through. An auction house can likely get it all sold in one day. 

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Find a local consignment auction house. Their fees may be a bit high but anyone willing to take this on as a eBay consignment is going to want 50+% of the net to cover their risk, taxes, returns............. Plus the are probably going to want to hold your funds for 90+ days to cover any risks. 

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

I also have a doll collection (mostly Barbie dolls), and before I got started selling them on eBay, I had over a thousand. I have been selling for over a year now, and a lot of the collector Barbies new in box were the first to go. It really takes a lot of time to sell them, especially those not in boxes. In the past year, I have sold over 200 dolls. Late spring and summer months are the toughest to sell. I don't intend to sell all of my dolls because I also have a hobby of crocheting period costumes for them and those I'll keep. 

I don't know how many you have to sell or type (Barbie, porcelain, other brands, sizes), but if you are already selling, then it shouldn't be too difficult to add a few dolls at a time to your listings. The trick is to be sure they are clean, and their hair is not too messy. Good lighting and photographs are a must as well as a good description. Close-ups of hands and other areas prone to being chewed should be shown. 

I believe that with patience and perseverance, you will be able to handle your collection.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Not planning to do this, but if I were, I would be holding the funds for 180 days in anticipation of Paypal case or credit card chargeback.  

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

I too would start looking for an auction house or two. 

Definitely one that successfully does on-line auctions.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

You don't say what kind of dolls you have but I know, in general, the doll market is not what it used to be.     You are probably not going to find anyone to sell the dolls for you on eBay as it just isn't worth the time and effort and the monetary part such as taxes and chargebacks. 

I recently went to an estate sale and they had an entire room full of new-in-box "collectors dolls" priced at $5.00 each.  Went back the last day and almost all were still sitting there unsold.  They actually were very pretty dolls but nobody wants them.   I've tried to sell a few nice, older dolls at the local antique mall and they just sit there.   No interest unless they get marked down super cheap. 

If your doll collection is of the usual variety, I vote with the other posters above.  Consign to a local auction house.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

I too would start looking for an auction house or two. 

Definitely one that successfully does on-line auctions.

I probably should not mention this since it is where I do a lot of my sourcing but RASMUS is a huge nationwide online auction house that has a lot of different options for consignors. 

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

@betsysmithcollectibles wrote:

I have a doll collection to sell and would like someone to sell it for me.  Located in Philadelphia area.  I sell on eBay but cannot handle a collection this big.

I might do it for $60 an hour. But that would require: 

a) I list them on your account with your SSN and bank account

b) you either ship them to me, or you take care of shipping them to winning bidders

c) you reimburse me for my time VIA PayPal (with you paying the fees) for my time and expenses at the time I incur them

Message 10 of 10
latest reply