cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Help Overcoming 6% Below Standard Performance Fee on Low Volume, High Price Listings

Currently struggling in the shadow of the 6% performance fee 'indefinitely.' Having some trouble understanding the Ts&Cs of how to get out of that (basically just seeing "Get your account better"). Is it a waiting game until the dings roll off? Is it based on # of sales, # of listings? My issue is that I make a sale maybe 1-2 times/month without promotions, in 2024 it's been 1x/month (listings don't show up in search results even with exact filter criteria chosen, but I digress..) My listings are low volume, "high" price, selling my NWB shoes/bags, plus a good mix of low-to-mid-tier-priced beauty items with 1-2 quantities. 

I learned (after 6 ebay customer service transfers) that as of March 2024, I've had 3 transaction issues since July 2023 - 2 out of stock and 1 damaged item (beauty items that were either the wrong color # listed, or wrong inventory count).  The last issue was December 2023. (I've combed through all listings and my inventory, shouldn't be an issue anymore.)

How can I get out of this if I'm not a frequent seller? Obviously the 6% on sales over $300 is really eating into things, the smaller beauty items I can deal with. The additional 6% has me not wanting to even accept offers right now, since I already send/accept reasonable prices before that. (Most recently have a sports card bundle listing with an offer in the 4 digits, so ebay would really be raking it in.) 

Side note: I understand the reason behind the fee, but the fact that it is an indefinte punishment is what's unethical. Ebay says it's to protect their buyers and create a trusting environment, but if that were the case, they would apply the fee to the specific transaction and pass that fee on to that buyer who was inconvenienced. The buyers aren't seeing a dime, it all goes into Ebay's pocket. I wouldn't mind being dinged for my mistake, otherwise.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Need Help Overcoming 6% Below Standard Performance Fee on Low Volume, High Price Listings

Your "Below standard" status is based on sales within the past 12 months; it's not "indefinite".  If you don't want to wait until that first one (from last July) rolls off, your only other option is to get your percentage below the threshold, which means lots of sales.  The item price is not factored in, so selling a large number of lower-priced items could get you there even though that's not your usual approach.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-policies/seller-performance-policy?id=4347

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Your "Below standard" status is based on sales within the past 12 months; it's not "indefinite".  If you don't want to wait until that first one (from last July) rolls off, your only other option is to get your percentage below the threshold, which means lots of sales.  The item price is not factored in, so selling a large number of lower-priced items could get you there even though that's not your usual approach.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-policies/seller-performance-policy?id=4347

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

To clarify, the 3 transaction dings are order cancels on my end before shipping, not return order issues. 

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

@rogershopper1984 wrote:

To clarify, the 3 transaction dings are order cancels on my end before shipping, not return order issues. 

Out of stock cancellations are a big defect.

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

@rogershopper1984 

Your prices are rather high...consider lowering them.  Your hourglass blush can be purchased her from other sellers for much , much less.  Yours is listed at $38.99.  I can get the same one from another seller for almost 1/2 of that price.  Just because you think that's what the product is worth, doesn't mean that's what you'll receive.  Stay competitive. 

Happy selling

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Thanks. Never be afraid to utilize the 'Best Offer' tool.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Thanks for the feedback. Since my listings are mostly my personal items, it seems I would need to become a more traditional Ebay reseller in order to shop around and come up with 'a large number of lower-priced items' to list.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Yep. @ janet 9988

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Is it a waiting game until the dings roll off?

@rogershopper1984 

Not necessarily. It's a math problem for now. Hopefully, you can find (or source) some sellable items and move them. Godspeed.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

@rogershopper1984 

The best offer tool guarantees nothing.   You'll still get stiffed if you don't have a quality serious buyer.  Welcome to internet sales.  We all struggle in some sense. 

Wishing you good luck and happy selling

Message 10 of 10
latest reply