cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Item Discount

I would like to offer a flat discount for each additional item a customer purchases. I thought this was possible because the invoice form has a box for +/- discount but when I tried it for a customer today it wouldn't let me, giving a message that I can only discount shipping or tax. Since I had free shipping, it wouldn't let me subtract anything. Is there any way to make this work? I'd like to encourage multiple item  purchases. 

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Multiple Item Discount

@mysticteal wrote:

I would like to offer a flat discount for each additional item a customer purchases. I thought this was possible because the invoice form has a box for +/- discount but when I tried it for a customer today it wouldn't let me, giving a message that I can only discount shipping or tax. Since I had free shipping, it wouldn't let me subtract anything. Is there any way to make this work? I'd like to encourage multiple item  purchases. 

For providing a shipping discount with "free" shipping items, you don't have to do anything, because any multiple of $0 is already $0.

Buyers don't get to eat their cake and have it too.

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

-- Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #80
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Multiple Item Discount

Do you have a store? The only way I think you are able to do this is if you have a store through item promotions.

I offer percentages off on my items through promotions with the ebay store with multiple quantity purchases. It does it automatically if a buyer purchaes the amount of items I have specified and displays a banner on my listings advertising it.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Multiple Item Discount

Thanks newcoloringbooks. No, I don't have a store but it's interesting to know that's an option with one. I was sure I'd seen other sellers offering discounts for additional items, so it's nice to know I wasn't completely crazy! LOL

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Multiple Item Discount

Hey how did you do that? I’m looking at my store and if say I give 10% off first item, 20% off second and 30% off third I’d have to do 3 seperate discount things. But I’m concerned it’ll literally give them 60% off. 

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Multiple Item Discount

@nowthatsjustducky wrote:

@mysticteal wrote:

For providing a shipping discount with "free" shipping items, you don't have to do anything, because any multiple of $0 is already $0.

Buyers don't get to eat their cake and have it too.

But some will try = )

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Multiple Item Discount

Knowing eBay, you're probably right to be concerned. Try it out with a lesser value item first.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Multiple Item Discount

Hello Everyone,

Due to the age of the thread, it has been closed to further replies.  Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thanks for understanding!

Message 8 of 8
latest reply