cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Morgan dollars

Are the Morgan silver dollars from China real or duplicates?

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Morgan dollars

China is a well known for having manufacturers of Fake Coins.

Message 2 of 32
latest reply

Morgan dollars

What does common sense and the animosity between China and the US tell you? China just may be the world's biggest source of fakes.

Message 3 of 32
latest reply

Morgan dollars

They are neither real or duplicate they are counterfeit. Duplicate coins would imply exact reproduction of a coin from not only appearance but from the metal content. While it is legal to produce copy coins there are specific laws regarding their production. I have a few copy coins that are in fact .999 solid silver and look like the real thing in every aspect however each is labeled with a COPY stamp somewhere on the coin. 

Message 4 of 32
latest reply

Morgan dollars

@jamesimps_xoo5ufcxg wrote:

100% legit, the US treasury  has contracted a Shenzhen company to mint all of its collectible coins as a money saving measure.

Message 5 of 32
latest reply

Morgan dollars

@short_circuit.lineman61 wrote:

@jamesimps_xoo5ufcxg wrote:

100% legit, the US treasury  has contracted a Shenzhen company to mint all of its collectible coins as a money saving measure.

Yes, I read about that on the internet. The Shaolin Monks are now using Morgan silver dollars instead of pebbles to test the readiness of their students to leave the Temple.

"Quickly as you can, snatch the coin from my hand." eBay is setting up testing sites, to add passing this test as a requirement to become a top-rated seller. 

Message 6 of 32
latest reply

Morgan dollars

I will keep this short, if I want an authentic product I do not buy from China and anytime I do buy from China I fully assume it is not the authentic product (yes even if it is).

Message 7 of 32
latest reply

Morgan dollars

I buy my Morgan silver dollars from Nigeria.

Message 8 of 32
latest reply

Morgan dollars

It is estimated that China has counterfeited between 1 and 3 TRILLION in US currency (nobody really knows but everyone agrees it is large). They are currently printing fake US postage stamps (thus why the USPS would love to get rid of stamps) in an effort to bankrupt it. They have become very good at faking currency to the point not even many experts can distinguish between the two. For them it is not about "making money"....it is about bringing down the US economy and world standing. We should ALL be ashamed that we are supporting this.

Message 9 of 32
latest reply

Morgan dollars

China is known for producing many fake items.   

Message 10 of 32
latest reply

Morgan dollars

I completely agree with cobra. If anyone buys Chinese junk and gets screwed, you knew what it was when you made the purchase.

Message 11 of 32
latest reply

Morgan dollars

Rumor has it that even the name of the country (China) is counterfeit. 

Message 12 of 32
latest reply

Morgan dollars

It is estimated that China has counterfeited between 1 and 3 TRILLION in US currency (nobody really knows but everyone agrees it is large). They are currently printing fake US postage stamps (thus why the USPS would love to get rid of stamps) in an effort to bankrupt it. They have become very good at faking currency to the point not even many experts can distinguish between the two. For them it is not about "making money"....it is about bringing down the US economy and world standing. We should ALL be ashamed that we are supporting this.

To further complicate the counterfeiting many of the items have been proliferated world wide and it is getting difficult to identify the original origin. Just because you buy something from a US seller does not mean the item they have in their possession did not originate in China. 

Message 13 of 32
latest reply

Morgan dollars

If you're thinking of buying a Morgan dollar from China or any other country or for that matter from anyone you're not sure of, the first thing to do is to ask the seller to tell you how much the coin weighs in grams to at least the tenth of a gram, but preferably to the hundredth of a gram.  The weight of a Morgan with no wear or usage  or dirt on it, like an uncirculated coin, should weigh right around 26.73 grams, give or take a couple hundredths of a gram.  If it is slightly worn it might weigh around 26.65 grams give or take a few hundredths.  If it is badly worn, it could weigh as low as 25.50 grams.  So, if you are looking at an uncirculated Morgan and they tell you it weighs 25.5 grams, stay away.  For that matter, no legit Morgan, no matter how badly worn it is, should be considered if they tell you it's less than 25.0 grams, and no uncirculated Morgan should weigh more than a few hundredths less than 26.73 grams.  If they tell you they don't have a scale, then run the other direction.

Also, make sure to have them tell you the diameter.  It should be 38.1 mm, maybe just a thin hair less depending if the edge is worn or not or depending on how good they are with their micrometer.   There are also other ways to tell if a Morgan is legit, but those ways are a little harder to tell when looking at a photo.

Just by virtue of you asking them for the weight and diameter, they are going to know in advance that you will not put up with any fakes.  Keep in mind that many legit coins have been cleaned.  Cleaning any coin lowers its value.

Message 14 of 32
latest reply

Morgan dollars

Assume they are fakes.

Why would a scarce US coin be available overseas in large quantities?

Message 15 of 32
latest reply