cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More Evidence Ebay Permits Fraud & Doesn't Care About Sellers

I sold a vintage piece of glass listed as used with a small rim of mineral deposit which was both described and photographed. The buyer received the item 2 days later and the same day left effusive + feedback how "thrilled" they were with the piece as well as a photo showing it displayed with their collection of similar items. Six weeks after receiving the item the buyer opened a dispute claiming it wasn't as described because of the mineral deposit. Since they knew the 30 day return had passed they initiated the claim with their "bank" and despite providing all the details & documentation the "bank" found in their favor and ebay refunded them + charged me the final value fee.  Ebay hides behind the fact that the dispute was initiated by the bank and indicates I have no right to know which bank or how the decision was reached and Ebay will not get involved. When I call with an issue I'm thanked for my 17 years selling & spotless record but it means nothing!

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

There is not a lot that eBay can do when a buyer files a not as described dispute with their payment provider other than pass on the ‘evidence’ that you submit.  The bank makes the decision, not eBay and in most cases,it is best to agree to the dispute and refund right away.  If you do that you get your fees back and are not charged a $20 dispute fee.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Ebay can protect sellers by demanding that "banks" provide a reason for their decision. I have no evidence that the documentation I provided was ever evaluated.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

@lb23cavaliersmvp wrote:

Ebay can protect sellers by demanding that "banks" provide a reason for their decision. I have no evidence that the documentation I provided was ever evaluated.

@lb23cavaliersmvp 

So you tried to fight a CC chargeback and lost?

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

No idea what the buyer used to pay. We tried to fight the fact that the buyer's claim had no merit based on their actions.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

qeqo_0
Thrill-Seeker

@lb23cavaliersmvp wrote:

Ebay hides behind the fact that the dispute was initiated by the bank and indicates I have no right to know which bank or how the decision was reached and Ebay will not get involved. 

eBay gets their payment from either Adyen or PayPal, like this:

qeqo_0_0-1714325886292.jpeg

So only PayPal and Adyen know who is the bank, as Adyen or PayPal is the target of the dispute.

Consequently @lb23cavaliersmvp eBay

-- is just a bystander

-- can't tell you who is the bank

-- had their payment reversed to Adyen or PayPal

-- in turn took the entire dispute amount from you, including

1. item price,

2. shipping cost,

3. final value fees, and

4. sales tax the buyer paid (please confirm).

In the same way that you don't know if eBay was talking to Adyen or PayPal about the dispute

-- because you are one level below eBay

eBay also doesn't know who is the buyer's bank

-- because eBay is one level below PayPal and Adyen.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

The banks act under the terms which are defined by the credit card associations.

Ebay cannot alter those terms. For years Walmart has pursued court actions to alter the fees which are charged merchants to use credit cards and a recent settlement has been reached. Walmart has a lot more money than Ebay and spent a lot because it will save them money.

You cannot expect Ebay to fund such a lawsuit. You cannot expect Ebay to fund your loss to the credit card issuer. If you want to sell online, you take the risk of what you feel are unjust resolutions of credit card disputes.

You can do business for cash, if you sell at a flea market. Consider doing so.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

If you want to see true fraud, wait and see what would happen with "buyers" and "sellers" if eBay covered losses for cc disputes. 

Message 8 of 8
latest reply