cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Message's You can now accept offers. Without my Consent!

This morning I had a message from eBay saying I can now accept offers. No big thing I know sometimes this happens automatically. So I went to change the setting on this listing. But this time it was different, not only had my accept offer been enabled, there was also a minimum amount listed that I would accept. Had I not caught this I would have been in the negative for this item. I do love the opportunity that eBay gives me to sell my goods, but this won't work for me. I have been buying wholesale items which cost quite a bit more. I can not sell items below my cost. So has this happened to you? Is this something new? Any info you got about this would be most appreciated. Thanks Seller and Happy eBaying!😻

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@pink_slippers! wrote:

This morning I had a message from eBay saying I can now accept offers. No big thing I know sometimes this happens automatically. So I went to change the setting on this listing. But this time it was different, not only had my accept offer been enabled, there was also a minimum amount listed that I would accept. Had I not caught this I would have been in the negative for this item. I do love the opportunity that eBay gives me to sell my goods, but this won't work for me. I have been buying wholesale items which cost quite a bit more. I can not sell items below my cost. So has this happened to you? Is this something new? Any info you got about this would be most appreciated. Thanks Seller and Happy eBaying!😻

There are two settings available: one is an auto-accept, with a minimum price; the second is a minimum price that you will consider, i.e. an auto-reject. Anything above that second setting is "accepted", as in "eBay will show it to you". Are you sure eBay set the first minimum, and not the second?

View Best Answer in original post

Message 8 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Awww, it's okay, Ebay's  just trying to "help" you!  <insert gigantic eye roll emoticon here>

Seriously, this is why I try my best to keep an eye on all my listings. I check through them all the time for oddities and "glitches" (glitches for lack of a better word) .  I can't say one way or the other if this is done purposely and with intent, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was.  After all, it doesn't matter if YOU make money, only if Ebay makes money.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 2 of 14
latest reply

@pink_slippers! wrote:

But this time it was different, not only had my accept offer been enabled, there was also a minimum amount listed that I would accept. 

That is a bit alarming. 

Can someone who knows how tag an eBay emmployee to ask about this? 

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

That should not be happening on your listings at all. If it is you need to call customer service and find out what is going on. I know that Ebay at their own discretion will automatically set some sellers account with the accepts offer feature which in my opinion is a sneaky WRONG thing to do without sellers consent. Mostly, I have zero problems or complaints about ebay but this one is a bad one that leaves a terrible taste in any sellers mouth.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Well of course—lower the price lower the price lower the price .

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Actually I have increased my prices many times and then I make more money and so does ebay. LOL!

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

@vintagecraze50 wrote:

Well of course—lower the price lower the price lower the price .

yep, makes no sense whatsoever. The less I make, the less Ebay makes.

Like I've always said, though - it's all a numbers game that applies to total sales. Ebay would rather have a million $1 sales than 10000 $100 sales because it makes things look busier...and it's an even better deal now with managed payments, because 1 million $1 sales = $300000, where 10000 $100 sales = $3000 for them. (it's 30 cents per transaction, right?)

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 7 of 14
latest reply

@pink_slippers! wrote:

There are two settings available: one is an auto-accept, with a minimum price; the second is a minimum price that you will consider, i.e. an auto-reject. Anything above that second setting is "accepted", as in "eBay will show it to you". Are you sure eBay set the first minimum, and not the second?

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

I didn't look close enough  to see if it was the first minimum or the second. Really didn't know there was two settings. When I seen the minimum amount filled in, with an amount that was less then what I had bought the item for I panicked and removed it quickly. This morning again that happened to another one of my items. I am going to call eBay today, about this.  If this happens a third time, I will look  closely before changing setting, to see which one the amount is in, and let you know.  Thanks everyone.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

That does make sense. More sales with lower priced items with big sell through rates makes them more money.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Got another messages this morning. This time I looked closely at the setting page. It did say minimum offer amount, not auto accept amount. Thankyou releasethekraken_1 for your help. 

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

@pink_slippers! wrote:

Got another messages this morning. This time I looked closely at the setting page. It did say minimum offer amount, not auto accept amount. Thankyou releasethekraken_1 for your help. 

Thank you for coming back to give us an update. I've seen a number of posts from sellers who think eBay is automatically accepting offers for them at low prices, and I suspect they're all mixing up the two settings. It's easy to do the first time you look at them.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

I just noticed the selling price for an item I sold today was less than what it should have been. I spoke with eBay to find out why and was told because I accepted an offer for that amount. I don't remember accepting an offer so I asked where I could go on the site to see this offer. While waiting approx. 15 minutes on hold for that answer, I clicked on a few of my sold items where I did accept an offer. Then I clicked on View Purchase History and I could see the offer that either myself or the buyer accepted. The item that I supposedly accepted an offer on didn't show any when I clicked View Purchase History.

When the eBay employee came back on the line, I was transferred to someone else that gave me an answer that did Not pertain to the item in question at all. I explained everything again followed by 5-10 minutes on hold and then was told I was automatically enrolled in a new update without my knowledge that automatically accepts any offer amount on all my items. After asking them, they said I was Not notified of this in any way nor was there anywhere on the site mentioning anything about this new auto offer accept. I do allow offers to be made on my items and I don't have auto accept or auto decline turned on and I double checked to confirm.
I'm not perfect and I don't know everything. Sometimes I make mistakes and sometimes I'm wrong.
If I'm missing something here, please let me know.

I'm having a hard time accepting that a company would actually go this low and do something like this.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Yes this is actually happening!!
All of my listings have specifically been set to buy it now/not accepting offers. A few days after my listing is posted I will receive a message from eBay that my listings are now accepting offers with a minimum offer set at an amount they choose without my consent!! I then have to go through every listing and turn the accept offer setting off again. This is very frustrating as I will lose money if a buyer purchases the item during the window of opportunity that I don’t catch it in time!! 

Message 14 of 14
latest reply