cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Median price issues

I have a question so in the past few months my sales and views have dropped even though I have more inventory than ever. I've heard several people saying they are going through the same thing and nobody really knows why. But I have also noticed something that might be causing a issue with views lately and wondering if anyone else has had this issue. When you create a listing and you go to put the price in eBay gives you a median price of what the average price is. Well in the past few months they have been way beyond inaccurate. I use the same key words as other sellers I know exactly what the going prices are and I'm right where I should be on my pricing. But I'll go to list a $200 piece of jewelry and eBay will give me a median price of something like $25. Or I'll list something for $50 and they will put a median price of $400 on it. So it doesn't necessarily have to be less but usually is but they also go way way over sometimes. When they deam something that's $200 a $25 median average price it a serious problem. Even though my price is accurate I will get no views because of the very low value eBay has recommended. When you are way over that suggestion even if they are wrong it seems like you will not get put into the algorithm. At least that's what I have experienced and there is nothing you can do about it. I contact customer service and they tell me to create the listing over again and change key specs. But I tell them how can I change something to something that is not right for the item im selling. Their answer is well maybe it is just a mistake and to try to make a new listing it might fix itself 🙄 because you know that is a wonderful answer to the issue. It's like they don't even want to acknowledge the issue and they have absolutely no answers on why it's happening. I'll even choose a match to another sellers listing and use the way they have theirs set up for a $300 listing and even though I said it's a match to that 300 item I'll still get a median suggested price of $20. It's frustrating it's like they don't understand it takes time to continue to make new listing after new listing and there should be a resolution to the issue. Is anyone else having this issue with the price suggestion when creating a listing? 

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Median price issues

Price at what you are happy with and ignore the suggestions. They are just suggestions which you do not have to use. 

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Median price issues

@bigjsa-44 wrote:

When you create a listing and you go to put the price in eBay gives you a median price of what the average price is. Well in the past few months they have been way beyond inaccurate. I use the same key words as other sellers I know exactly what the going prices are and I'm right where I should be on my pricing.

Are you looking at what other sellers are listing the items for or what the items have actually SOLD for? Sometimes there can be a big difference between the two things.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Median price issues

Bottom line.....eBay's suggested prices for anything other than mass market items that are always identical are pointless and meaningless.

I would never use them, I would never recommend that anyone uses them.

While this might not be the reason for your lack of sales I highly recommend you get rid of all the hands in your images especially the jewellery items. Some are your pics are 90% hands and wasted space with just a tiny (often out of focus) image of the actual item.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply