"ARE YOU SURE? YOUR CREDIT CARD WILL BE CHARGED?"

"OH HELL NO !!!!! "

"CLICK X"

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Makes Ebay Offer - OH HELL NO - CHANGES MIND

What's your point?

You don't want to actually pay for the item if the seller accepts your offer?

Keep clicking that X, please.

Message 2 of 31
latest reply

I wanted to generate discussion. I guess I went about it the wrong way. 

Message 3 of 31
latest reply

So you have an issue paying for an offer you make? Why should the seller be left in limbo wondering if you are a real buyer or just a "sport" bidder? If you intend to pay for the item, I fail to see the big deal....

Message 4 of 31
latest reply

If it is about a buyer having to preauthorize payment before making an "offer" that has been hashed and trashed, hissed, and missed here multiple times.

Rather than generate a new "discussion" about "old news" a search may be more in line.

Message 5 of 31
latest reply

I apologize. I didn't realize it was such a big issue. Continue....

Message 6 of 31
latest reply

I'm (mainly) a seller and there is nothing worse than accepting a lower offer for something, having it sit there for 4 days unpaid, while all the time it could have sold at the original price.  This isn't a game.  Selling on eBay puts food on the table and helps pay the bills in my house.

Why make an offer if you aren't intending to pay?

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 7 of 31
latest reply

Sellers are tired of buyers making offers and not paying when the offer is accepted. 
So eBay created a requirement the seller can use to put an end to that shenanigans.

Message 8 of 31
latest reply

@chicka8618 wrote:

No apology needed.  Perhaps a regular that has viewed the many, many threads on this will pop in with a search list of the dozens of threads on this subject.

When eBay instituted the requirement, it stirred up quite the hornets' nest of pros, and cons threads.

Message 9 of 31
latest reply

Okie dokie.

Message 10 of 31
latest reply

I haven't made an offer for a year now and I'm buying at least half of what I used to because of auto-pay. If I can't review the final invoice and the payment source it's being deducted from I hit the back button. There have been many errors made and once they have your money there's no fixing it. Also many payment options are not available nor combined shipping invoices. Thankfully they removed the option from auctions.

I highly doubt the auto-pay policy has ever increased buyers that were never serious in the first place to suddenly pay immediately, but what did happen is it decreased paying buyers from buying as much as they use to before auto-pay began, I am one of them.

I've also never had an UPI in 20 years using ebay so it has nothing to do with not planning to pay.

Message 11 of 31
latest reply

@chicka8618 wrote:

Paying for items your seller accepts an offer on is not a big issue to most.

Message 12 of 31
latest reply

@chicka8618 wrote:

"ARE YOU SURE? YOUR CREDIT CARD WILL BE CHARGED?" 

You're probably doing it wrong.

sdneped_0-1714515277705.jpeg

If your credit card cannot be charged but the seller accepts your offer, you'll have to come back and pay with e.g. PayPal Pay-in-4, PayPal Credit, a bank account, another credit card, etc.

Message 13 of 31
latest reply

Ebay also recently added this feature to offers sent by the seller too. The link below is the most recent I know of discussing the changes.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/OK-eBay-s-IDIOT-programming-just-cost-me-39-in-sales/td-p/3443...

Message 14 of 31
latest reply

Let's have a discussion.

Are you a BUYER who doesn't like the idea of having to use a credit card when making an offer?

Or are you a SELLER who doesn't like the fact that potential buyers have to use a credit card when making an offer?

Or both?

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 15 of 31
latest reply