cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost our top seller rating because ...

Just found out we lost our top seller rating - Great googly moogly, oh say it ain't so - not because we did anybody wrong, like shipping stuff late or not at all. Or shipping some socks instead of the boots, a spoon instead of a fork, no rocks in a box ... No cases in years, or listings pulled down, no complicates that we know of, even the 'as described' star is 5/5. Over the last year fifty four feedbacks were left and fifty one of them left stars and again, as described is 5/5. 

Nothing like that, we just did sell enough.

It seems if we had just sold one more item in the last twelve months we would still be a 'top rated seller' - We have taken in enough money - three times more then what they demand - to make them happy, but in too few sales it seems.

"Funny' thing, we did 'sell' more the the demanded 100 items ... but it seems ebay doesn't count the fourteen auctions that were never paid for .... Don't get me started on how managed payments should go both ways -

So to be considered a 'top rated seller' the amount of items sold is counted as just as important as how you treat/deal with 'your' buyer [remember, they are buying from you on ebay, not from ebay]

So I could give all of our buyers a five dollar discount on their items and because we were 'only' paid for 99 of the 112 things 'won' -- 'above standard'

We don't think we didn't sell enough, we think people didn't buy enough. So it's all those look but don't buy people's fault.

AND how come this thing keeps finding html in our posting, all written in the 'body' box.

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

I would agree if you hit the gross sales number to qualify you should be able to receive the top seller status. Some may ague that having the number of transactions is more important because it better shows a pattern of sales vs. a few big ticket items. 

Regardless you can always use this as an opportunity to sell a few items for less (as lost leaders or advertising for your business) to make up the difference. 

At the end of the day Ebay does outline how to earn and keep top seller status so it is up to the buyers.

Message 2 of 27
latest reply

Well cry me a river.  I can not obtain TRS because I mail some cheap ($3.99) in a regular envelope without tracking as they are not yet eligible for Ebay standard envelope.

Message 3 of 27
latest reply

@a-lotta-stuff wrote:

AND how come this thing keeps finding html in our posting, all written in the 'body' box.

That generally happens to me when I cut and paste text. If that is what happens to you, you can fix this by using the 'paste as plain text' option instead of just the normal paste option. 

Message 4 of 27
latest reply

Ebay is " that cop" that pulls you over for going 60 in a 45. When he approaches your car, you roll down your window, and he sees that panicked look in your eyes as you blurt out" I'm sorry officer but my wife's water broke and she's in labor and I'm trying to get to the hospital!! He half smiles at you and says in a calm tone" everything's going to be all right buddy. You just stay calm, and I'm going to get you there. I'm going to turn on my lights and you just stay behind me". We'll be there in no time."

It's the difference between human interaction and Ebay's AI generated garbage. Ebay's ai would keep you on the side of the road writing you a ticket for speeding.

While your wife gave birth in the back seat.

You can't even say it's who and what they are now.

Because there is no "who".

That implies humanity.

It's " what" they are now

Which is a monolithic cesspool of AI without even a customer phone # to call for help.

Sorry about your "selling status" which means a lot to you ,but nothing at all to Ebay.

Message 5 of 27
latest reply

@a-lotta-stuff This just happened to me yesterday. I had taken 7 weeks off while I took a cruise to the Antarctic and didn't hit 100 sales because of that time off. I was well over the minimum dollar amount and just two sales short, total 98. No other issues on my account. Last month I received a message that they would grant me extra time and reevaluate me on Feb 20th. I sold another 17 items during that time putting me at 115 sales, yet they still dropped my TRS status last night. 

It is all just based on AI, regardless of the messages they send out. I could contact eBay for business because I did make the minimums, but frankly I no longer care. They evaluate every month on the 20th so I will most likely qualify once again in March. I've been considering dropping my store in April and just listing a few items, so this just made the decision for me....

Message 6 of 27
latest reply

As I don't care to jump through the TRS Plus hoops I don't much care anymore either.

My IDs regularly roll in and out of TRS status depending on the seasons and what I've found to sell.

Just keep chugging along regardless.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 7 of 27
latest reply

I was wondering about an either/or for the sales number/amount, but that might just open up another can  of worms when it comes to enforcing it. It's a good thing not a lot rides on the TRS status, there are a few minor perks but I've also gone through cycles of losing it and getting back again due to sales # and I've not seen any difference insofar as sales.

It's just a metric, which is why it's cut and dried.

Frustrating to lose it by one sale, though.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 8 of 27
latest reply

We got the same message.  We have been on eBay for over 25 years.  We sold between 600 and 700 items.  I canceled 4 items in a year.  They say I was only allowed 3.  I sold one item that I couldn't find, canceled the order and later found the item.  I relisted the item for that customer, they purchased it and were very happy.  I've been told by eBay that they wouldn't go back more than 90 days to revise their decision on an item and it was more than 90 days ago.  The feedback and messages on what happen are still there. I sell one-of-a-kind antiques and vintage items.  I also had an item that I noticed something with the item that was not in the description.  Messaged the buyer, offered 50% partial refund because of the inconvenience or that I could cancel it if they wanted. It was not a big problem but wanted them to know.  They would not contact me.  After trying to contact them 3 times I told them I would cancel the order and hold the item until they contacted me.  It's been 2 months.  One item I broke then I was packing it to ship.   If you say that the customer wanted you to refund the item you don't get dinged but if you are honest, you lose your Top Seller Discount. They do make it almost impossible to stay a top seller.  

Message 9 of 27
latest reply

Rules are rules. You have to sell 100. Sorry you missed it by one.

Message 10 of 27
latest reply

I'm at a lost here reading some of these posts.

Sellers here do want to sell! Sellers are not here to give away! The roller coaster economy does not help. You can't punish the sellers for not moving product. 

I have a basic store and pay my monthly store fees and FVF when I sell, and it sounds like I'm still under a requirement to sell so much within a year in order to avoid additional fees or be slapped with a lower seller status / rating. This makes no sense!

Message 11 of 27
latest reply

I had a $10.00 coupon for Chili's that was worthless because I didn't spend the $50.00 required.

Keeping the TRS thing can be difficult.  I get it,   Lose it,   Get it back,  Lose it again.

eBay rules aren't known for being flexible.  

Message 12 of 27
latest reply

@sextons-sweet-deals wrote:

it sounds like I'm still under a requirement to sell so much within a year in order to avoid additional fees or be slapped with a lower seller status / rating. 

Not sure where you got your info but you do not have to sell any set amount. You can sell one thing or 10,000 things a year and you will not get punished or get slapped with additional fees. Your status will also not get lowered. Now if you want a prize (discount), then yes Ebay sets specific requirements to award those who meet the criteria.

Message 13 of 27
latest reply

not the same to me.

You get $10 off when spending $50.  It is just a coupon you received via mail. I get the same junk mail every other week. 

Sellers on eBay are investing their time / labor taking photos, doing measurements, giving details, and more. 

Message 14 of 27
latest reply

My rocks arrived broken

Message 15 of 27
latest reply