cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long Term Members (buyers) Ignor ebay Policies

Hi everyone.

Think I get more Established eBay members jumping the INR button as they neglect to communicate with sellers.

Even ignor sellers.

Anyway.

I understand the newbies jumping the INR button.

But guys with 1700☆ ? Guys with 10-20 years buying experience.

I'm seeing some members with long term eBay history who neglect ebays policies on contacting the seller to discuss issues.

I see a pattern. Where long term buyers are taking advantage of sellers. Years worth of clicking that INR button & neglecting to contact the seller.

These buyers with decades of history & 100% perfect account activity know what their doing.

There's not much defence for sellers. 

I'm not sure how other sellers deal with buyers who are interested in free items & refunds.

But I started calling them out on it.

Especially if they have decades worth of buying history.

Yep  I'm pretty blunt about it. What else options do u have? I must protect myself. Defend myself. From these guys who have more eBay experience than myself.

So I make a detailed email. Explaing there long time history. Explaining ebays buyer policies. Explaining the neglect to communicate with seller.

I try to detail it all. 

Sometimes I'll try to wait till the last few hours before the bot kicks in & refunds them.

I actually had a long term buyer (scammer) stop his scam.  Just cause I called him out on it. 

Any buyer who has history on eBay who opens a INR without contacting me  & then chooses to ignore me.

I explain to them in detail. Then I refund them. & I block them.

There is also a history of my message that's attached to their names. & accounts. Of potential scammer.

There is no real seller protection from. Professional long term buyers who know they can take advantage of a bot. They know will refund them in a certain amount of time.

I just like to share how I'm starting to deal with these buyers who have decades of experience on eBay.

I'm calling them out. & making a data trail about the scam tactics for free products. & block them.

Yes I refund them. That's the easy part.

Hopefully eBay sees the pattern these long term buyers are up to. Taking advantage of sellers by the automated bots. 

Anyone else feel there's alot of long term buyers who completely ignore ebays "contact seller" policies.?

Because they understand the seller has very few options but to refund the buyer who purposly neglects to communicate.  Who purposly does not contact you & who knowingly hit the INR for the reason to keep the item & receive their money back from the bots. Count down of seller doom.

What do you think of me taking care of myself as a seller?

I'm doing this because eBay told me to deal with "ebay" on my own. 

So that's just what I'm doing. Am I doing it Good? Wrong? You have other suggestions.

I am very respectable to the buyers. Don't get me wrong. 

Just my experiences. As I think to myself. 

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Ebay has always made the SUGGESTION that buyers contact sellers but it's never been a set policy 

Many long timers probably don't communicate because they've gotten the run around from sellers in the past, and see no point in allowing a seller to post a long diatribe aimed at making them out to be the evil buyer, while the poor sainted seller has no responsibility at all (despite being the one who ultimately chose the shipping method).

Stop making all buyers out to be scammers and set your handling time for longer so the ETA on the package is later, but keep mailing it asap.

Also, your tactics seem to border on cyber bullying, you might want to rethink them before some smart buyer gets you in hot water

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

In most cases these days buyer gets a shipment confirmation message and a tracking number.

In the first instance buyers should check status of their item by visiting track& trace website of postal service provider.

If details shown on this site is not clear or they are not happy with how things are going then as a courtesy  buyer should ask seller for information. Before everybody starts screaming I used the word courtesy as I accept that there is no compulsion on buyer to communicate with seller if expected delivery date has passed by 2 or 3 days.

We reflect our respective generations and present day generations are used to getting everything as and when they want ( Fast food, fast information) and they may think that everything in life is like that and they may not be used to building in delays and unexpected events like COVID 19 or bad weather.

I don't buy in to this name and shame culture on everything trivial as in my view this dilutes the very serious issues that this very powerful voice should be reserved for.

To name and shame a buyer or seller on social media or some other platform because they did not do what I wanted is not for me.

Give everyone some space and accept their small insignificant failures to meet my expectation as their personal choice / their right.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Ebay has always made the SUGGESTION that buyers contact sellers but it's never been a set policy 

Many long timers probably don't communicate because they've gotten the run around from sellers in the past, and see no point in allowing a seller to post a long diatribe aimed at making them out to be the evil buyer, while the poor sainted seller has no responsibility at all (despite being the one who ultimately chose the shipping method).

Stop making all buyers out to be scammers and set your handling time for longer so the ETA on the package is later, but keep mailing it asap.

Also, your tactics seem to border on cyber bullying, you might want to rethink them before some smart buyer gets you in hot water

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

you forget .  I'm a seller .eBay works for me . no sellers  no  e bay  -------------------and e bay dont care about sellers 

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

If you check carefully, I believe you will find that there is absolutely no eBay requirement that a buyer contact a seller before opening an item not received case.

Have not ever had a reason to open an INR case, but I can see that some buyers have had unpleasant experiences doing that so now they go right to opening an INR.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

@brya_fonta wrote:

Because they understand the seller has very few options but to refund the buyer who purposly neglects to communicate. 

If a buyer gets a refund after filing an Item Not Received claim, it is because the seller does not have the required proof of delivery.  It has nothing to do with lack of communication from the buyer.

eBay is not a good place for sellers with control issues.  Quit trying to educate your buyers on what you think they have done wrong, and just respond to the INR claims with tracking.  If tracking shows delivered, you win.  If tracking doesn't show delivered by the time the claim can close, you lose.  All that extra stuff you are sending means nothing.  Other than to tell the buyer you are not a pleasure to deal with.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

I get your point...you probably feel its also important to contact a seller before giving them a negative.

I prefer the buyers who just leave negatives with no contact..its a buyers right to do so

most of my items not recieved happened back in November and I have to say my buyers are a very patient bunch....I think 2-3 of them reimbursed me when the package finally arrived.  

coming to the boards with a gripe is the right place to voice dissatisfaction with ebay

calling out grumpy buyers who are impatient can backfire

I prefer as little contact as possible.I could get very carried away being nasty to a buyer

I think its better to let somone else more qualified to do so

many ebayers revel in confrontation and for my own sake I need to keep it tamped down.

over the years of selling I find I can just let it roll off my back with less tension

like my mentor used to say about complainers."I have heard it all before"

keep on selling

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@ljmgoods wrote:

you forget .  I'm a seller .eBay works for me . no sellers  no  e bay  -------------------and e bay dont care about sellers 

Do you issue ebay a 1099?No? Then they aren't working for you.

eBay ALLOWS you the PRIVILEGE of listing here.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

OP not only is what you are doing inappropriate, but I'd consider it downright abusive. Lecturing them with your opinion and making up non-existent policies? Ridiculous!

If your have that many packages that are not being received in time then you need to adjust something. Use a different shipping method or service, extend your handling time, or consider a different profession.

Also speaking of 'policies', by selling here you agree to take responsibility for your buyer to receive their package in a timely manner. Sure that is not always fair and sometimes the shipping companies mess up but I find it very peculiar if you are having a high rate of INRs.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

You're ranting against Buyers and your ISSUE should be with e-Bay.  

When you shop on the site, in the Buyer's Order View:

Drop Down Menu Under More Actions:

- I didn't Receive it

takes you to a Screen where ALL the Buyer sees is:

Tell the Seller What You'd Like:

1 - I Want a Refund

2- I Want the Item

Button that says SEND REQUEST

The Buyer (old, new, young, seasoned, cranky, nice, loud, polite, happy, sad, just needs the **bleep** widgit THINKS they ARE Communicating with the Seller as that is what is screen and process says - "Tell the Seller What You'd Like"

You're mad about the metrics ding and the what you view as an injustice from the Buyer for no prior touch point - I think the real issue is that each SELLER should be tracking in their Order Views anything that is not on time, delayed, etc.  USPS issues have been for months now - NOT a NEW issue.  E-mail your Buyers about the delays - we tell each buyer in a small blurb in our "thank you for your purchase" email about continued shipping delays with USPS, especially in certain regions.  We look every day at what is still outstanding from a delivery standpoint.  We buy on here a great deal - nothing more annoying than a seller who thinks *their job is done* once they ship the parcel = not my fault USPS cannot get it to you, etc etc.

Sellers need to communicate too.  I don't want to "teach a buyer a lesson" or "call them out" on anything.  I want a "repeat" buyer.  Harder and harder to do on here -especially when buyers lump all sellers together.  

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

You get the solution for.

Extended shipping times.

Great solution.

I have done this.  It has helped. 

Terribly sorry If my words, thoughts or expressions, has offended you or anyone else.

Let the bots think, speak & decide for us!

2021 here we go.

Are you ready? Humans...

95+% of buyers & sellers are great!! 

Not sure why anyone think I'm hating on all buyers or sellers. Im not.

Tough crowd. 

Message 11 of 11
latest reply