cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Local pickup

I had an item listed as local pickup only. A buyer messaged and asked if I would take it to a local UPS for her to arrange shipping. I declined - it's a large, heavy breakable item and I didn't want to be responsible at all for any shipping issues that could happen. She wrote back and said that she understood. Then a few hours later, she purchased the item and informed me that she contacted a packing company and was going to arrange for them to pick it up (and I assume pack it for safe shipping). This is my first sale with local pickup and this makes me a bit uncomfortable, but I'm not sure that it should. Can anyone advise on how to best handle this? Thanks.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Local pickup

Update: Just heard back from the buyer. She's using a company called Shipley and wants to have my address and phone number so that they can contact me for pickup. Very hesitant to give this info out... I realize that buyers have my address when I ship, but giving it to third party with my cell phone makes this more of a problem for me. Thanks again for any advice.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Local pickup

Maybe have her give you the number for Shiply, so you can contact them. Looks like they are legit (Google Search found them).

That way you can proactively work with them to schedule after the buyer pays. If it's that Pottery Barn plant stand, it's kind of silly for them to go through all that expense and effort. 

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Local pickup

I haven't listed local pick up in some time.

However, isn't there a barcode the buyer must show, that YOU the seller scan, in order to complete the sale? Without that scanned code, I think thy can file an INR case and win. 

If this is the case, I would not go through with the sale. I would cancel for bad address and block the buyer from future bidding. 

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Local pickup

Just do it.  Don't make a simple thing complicated. 

I would, however, make sure that she makes sure that they have the QR code and can scan to make sure eBay knows it was handed off, properly and on time.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Local pickup

@nohummys 

It's all good, just run off an invoice of the plant stand and have this shipping company sign it as picked up, enter this as delivered.

I would also have that glass insert bubbled inside a box just to be safe.

Everything else sounds legit.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Local pickup

'Shiply' is what I found. 

do your homework. Review the buyer's feedback / status and Google map their location. More than likely, this is a serious buyer, but that is up to you. 

If you follow through with transaction, do some safe pre-packing yourself and take photos during process and even at pick-up. I would not depend on the carrier to have complete safe packing material available at time of pick-up. 

There is some type of QR code scan, but not sure how it all works. 

best wishes!

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Local pickup

@nohummys wrote:

I had an item listed as local pickup only. A buyer messaged and asked if I would take it to a local UPS for her to arrange shipping. I declined - it's a large, heavy breakable item and I didn't want to be responsible at all for any shipping issues that could happen. She wrote back and said that she understood. Then a few hours later, she purchased the item and informed me that she contacted a packing company and was going to arrange for them to pick it up (and I assume pack it for safe shipping). This is my first sale with local pickup and this makes me a bit uncomfortable, but I'm not sure that it should. Can anyone advise on how to best handle this? Thanks.

When a listing offers Local Pickup and the buyer actually selects that (they must if that is the only option offered) eBay will provide the buyer with a QR code. When the buyer (or their agent) picks up the order they need to show you the QR code which you can either scan or copy the number that goes with it. eBay will consider this as proof of delivery (pick-up) by the buyer.

If your buyer can give the QR code to Shiply and the Shiply person provides it to you then you are covered against any type of Not Received claim.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Local pickup

Thank you all, really appreciate the responses. Turns out that the packing company couldn't commit to a time frame for pick up, only a 5 hour window on a certain date. That was a deal breaker for me. Didn't want to be tied to my house or phone for that long a period of time, so I decided to cancel the transaction. Thanks so much for your help, will keep this in mind for the next time.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply