cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Item sent with buyer's address on label and scanned as delivered in different state

Buyer opened an item not received case and left negative feedback right away. Was messaging me with threats and profanity through the case every day. Ebay did nothing about that and told me to wait until they could step in until they would remove the feedback. Ebay steps in and I lost. A mistake was made with the post office and they were unable to help me locate the package. Definitely doesn't seem fair as the tracking number aligns with the buyer's address and I did nothing wrong here. Any advise would be very helpful. I sent two appeals and was shot down with both. Thanks

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Item sent with buyer's address on label and scanned as delivered in different state

Did you report the emails from the buyer to Ebay?  If you didn't, then they aren't aware of the problem.  There should be a setting on the email itself where you can report the email, if not, click on the link below and report them.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/resolving-buyer-issues/reporting-issue-buyer?id=4084

You've been a seller for a long time, I'm surprised you aren't or don't seem to be aware that all sellers are responsible for the package until it actually gets delivered.  If the tracking does not show delivered, then yes a buyer can and will win an INR.

Anytime there is an issue with the tracking via USPS on a package there are some steps you should take right away.

First go to the USPS website and call up the tracking number and review all the entries.

Second sign up for email notifications to any changes to the tracking.  Click on the down arrow to the right of "Text & Email Updates".  Fill in the info.

USPS Tracking 1.jpgUSPS Tracking 2.jpg

This serves to give you up to date info on the movements of the package.  It can be real handy if you end up closing the INR out and refunding the buyer because the item really was lost.  Then if the item gets delivered at a later date, you will be notified.  You can then contact the buyer and let them know you are aware that the item has finally been delivered.  Politely and professionally ask them if they want to repay you for the item and keep it or if they would prefer to return it to you.

If you don't hear anything from the buyer, there really isn't much you can do about pushing this, but you can notify Ebay and see if you can get Ebay to cover it.  Depending on the situation, they may refund you.

Now you need to go and file for a TRACE on the package.

https://usps.my.site.com/emailus/s/

Just fill in the info they ask you.  You will need the buyers address, so make sure you have that info ready when you go to fill in the info.

Make a note of the Tracking claim number as it could be handy later.

Contact your buyer and let them know that you have filed for a Trace on the package and you will keep them fully informed with any information you get from USPS.  Let them know it takes 48-72 hours for them to respond.

When there is an open INR, ALL you communications with the buyer should be done inside the claim.  Even if the buyer emails you in regular Ebay emails, respond in the claim.

If the tracking shows the item was delivered, you should not have lost the INR.  Now maybe Ebay would refund the buyer, but the money wouldn't come from you.  If your comment to the feedback is correct and the tracking shows delivered, you need to appeal the case.

The buyer's feedback should be removable, so maybe you need to give that another try too for a couple of reasons.  They say you did not ship to the correct address.  If you shipped to the address on the payment notification, then the incorrect address is on the buyer, but if you did ship to a different address, then this is something you will just have to live with.  Always ship to the address on the payment notification without exception.

Your comment on the feedback of Ebay investigating the buyer's feedback is mostly harmful to you for obvious reasons.  It makes it seem that what the buyer said is the absolute truth because the FB is still there and not removed by Ebay. 

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

I would suggest that you contact Ebay for Business on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter for the better trained CSRs.

Here are your options for contacting Ebay Customer Service.  Please be aware that for social media CS, you send them a Private Message and briefly explain what your problem or issue is.  Feel free to leave your Name, address, phone number and/or your email address in this message.  It is private and secure and it may help to speed up the response for you.

https://twitter.com/askebay

https://www.facebook.com/eBay/

https://www.instagram.com/ebayforsellers/

Your options will be on the left.  If you use the link below you can only get to the Automated Assistant or Chat box type AGENT in the box and hit enter. You will then get more options.  Not all options are available 24/7.  It will depend on staffing available.  So sometimes you can request a call back and sometimes you can't.  Sometimes you have the Chat option available and other times it won't me.  If it is important to you to use one of those options, just try back later.

If you use a cell phone or other mobile device, you may need to turn off your Spam filter so that Ebay can call you.

If you are a seller outside of the US or Canada, you will need to use the Chat Option.

https://www.ebay.com/help/home

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

"Politely and professionally ask them if they want to repay you for the item and keep it or if they would prefer to return it to you."

How does someone do that without purchasing it again since it has already been refunded?

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

They can do it through PayPal.  That is how I've had my buyers do it in the past.  I just send them an invoice through PayPal and then the buyer can pay from the invoice.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Unfortunately this happened to us as well about two months ago. It went to a completely different state and was marked as delivered. Some kind of mix up as it went along its route. There was nothing the USPS could do for us and of course Ebay wouldn't do anything to help. We had to refund the buyer (who didnt get their package) and we lost both our item and the payment for it. Just the way it goes on here. 

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

@chicka8618 wrote:

Unfortunately this happened to us as well about two months ago. It went to a completely different state and was marked as delivered. Some kind of mix up as it went along its route. There was nothing the USPS could do for us and of course Ebay wouldn't do anything to help. We had to refund the buyer (who didnt get their package) and we lost both our item and the payment for it. Just the way it goes on here. 

I am sorry to hear this.  i hope it wasn't an expensive item.  This isn't anyone's fault except for USPS, so the buyer should have been refunded.  As a seller it hurts, but it is the right thing to do.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Did you ship with tracking number?

Did you print out the shipping label on eBay?

have you entertained Goggle map the address you have to what was supposedly deliver to? 

I don't see how zip codes can be that similar to cause a package to be delivered in another state. 

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@sextons-sweet-deals wrote:

I don't see how zip codes can be that similar to cause a package to be delivered in another state.

...not to mention that it would also need to have a matching street address in whatever wrong town or state that it landed in before it could be accidentally delivered to a wrong location. If it was some address like 101 Main Street it probably exists in thousands of different towns - but something like 8930 Balukiewicz Circle is probably unique within the entire country.

Anyway - If the package was shipped using Ground Advantage or Priority Mail it would have a maximum of $100 free insurance included. The USPS database details for that tracking number will have its original address on record as well as the tracking details showing that it went off course and was delivered someplace else. That should be enough to start a loss claim with the post office. The buyer does deserve a refund but the USPS should be on the hook for reimbursing the seller for that refund.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply