cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Item Specifics

I cannot get my item listed because it keeps telling me to add more specifics.  I don't have any more specifics besides the author, title, and date of publication.  How do I get past this screen to list my item?

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Item Specifics

Certain item specifics are "required" and certain item specifics are "recommended".

Which ones is it asking for?  

Smoke From A Distant Fire - Sanford Townsend Band
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Item Specifics

There are a lot of booksters that will be along to assist.  I don't list books. 

What I do is enter information into a item specific that may assist the search engine. Even though it is not exactly relevant to what the item specific is looking for, I enter some sort of relevant information about the product even if it is a repeat of another item specific.

Addendum: At times I might miss entering an item specific near the top and that keeps the item from listing because it is a required IP.  

Posting ID
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Item Specifics

The main ones eBay is looking for is the ISBN.

Those were invented in the mid-60s, came into fairly common use in the mid-70s,and were the norm by the mid-80s.

The number will be on the spine or back of a paperback, and on the same page as the edition/copyright information for either a pb or a hardcover.

If you can't find an ISBN the book may be too early, or may have been published outside the USA (eBay gets the hiccups over those).  Use N/A (not applicable) instead.

BUT.

If you get a popup with information about a book, READ IT. Publishers will reuse ISBNs for various editions. You don't want to sell a paperback only to have the customer dispute because the Item Specifics said it was an audiobook.

And again, there are Required Item Specifics and Recommended. Use N/A for any Recommended you have no information for.

The Item Specifics are used by eBay customers in Search, but more important by search engines like Google to present to internet browsers.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Item Specifics

As an occasional seller you may also be running into the normal restrictions for new and occasional sellers.

Do you have your Managed Payments account set up so that eBay can pay you?

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Item Specifics

Wrack your brain....  Is it hardcover or paperback?  What company published it?  What language is it in?  How many pages are there?  What is the topic?  

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Item Specifics

Who's the main character?

What's the subject?

Where's it take place?

Crime?  Romance?  History?   Children?   Horror?   Ghosts?   Vampires?

Magic?   Travel?   War?   Politics?   

When I have an Item specific that irks me,   I type in ,   "Does not apply"

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Item Specifics

if you have the item (book in this case) then you have the required specifics they are asking for. 

The great truth is there isn't one
And it only gets worse since that conclusion...
...There is something about the rigid posture of a proper, authentic blind
As if extended arms reached to pass his blindness onto others.
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Item Specifics

@reallynicestamps wrote:

The number will be on the spine or back of a paperback, and on the same page as the edition/copyright information for either a pb or a hardcover.

If you can't find an ISBN the book may be too early, or may have been published outside the USA (eBay gets the hiccups over those).  Use N/A (not applicable) instead.

The proper wording for eBay Item Specifics is "Does Not Apply".

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Item Specifics

@dawnby 

One of the "required" item specifics is "language."  In what language is the book written?

What other REQUIRED item specifics are being requested?

Message 10 of 10
latest reply