cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Item Returned to Seller - No Response from Buyer

Hello,

I sold someone a computer.  Earlier this week, I found it on my porch.  It had been returned to me because the address was incorrect.  I verified the address on the box matched the address I was given on Ebay and contacted the buyer that night to get the correct address.  It's been a few days now and I have yet to hear back.  I'm just wondering how long I should wait to hear back from him and what the correct course of action to take is if I don't.  I don't imagine people often pay $200 for something and are unresponsive when it's returned to the seller, so I'm a bit perplexed.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Either cancel using the reason “problem with buyers address” or refund the item price only. If shipping  more than the final value fee, refund the item price only. Otherwise I would just cancel & refund in full to get the FVF credit. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

You did what you could do. Wait to hear back. Not your problem. 

Go check paypal and see if the address matches there.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Don't do anything.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

@njl6705 wrote:

Hello,

I sold someone a computer.  Earlier this week, I found it on my porch.  It had been returned to me because the address was incorrect.  I verified the address on the box matched the address I was given on Ebay and contacted the buyer that night to get the correct address.  It's been a few days now and I have yet to hear back.  I'm just wondering how long I should wait to hear back from him and what the correct course of action to take is if I don't.  I don't imagine people often pay $200 for something and are unresponsive when it's returned to the seller, so I'm a bit perplexed.

Thanks!

People often move and forget to update ebay and paypal.

Try calling him.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

@sam9876 wrote:

Don't do anything.

until you hear from the buyer or at least 6 months have passed...

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

-- Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #80
Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Agreed you did what Ebay asked. You sold it, you shipped to correct address and you messaged your buyer showing concern. But if you take any action upfront.......other than what the buyer "might" eventually want, you will be stuck by ebay. You played ball and hit it over the fence, wait till its back in your court.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

dont do anything to hear from the buyer or 180 days whatever comes first.

if you hear from the buyer, get the correct address and send them a invoice for the shipping charges to reship.

if you do not hear from the buyer, on day 181 relist 

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

@dbmm-media wrote:

if you hear from the buyer, get the correct address and send them a invoice for the shipping charges to reship.

Invoice for reshipping or refund minus the initial shipping and your fees

And after 180 days, still keep an open mind to the possiblilty of refunding minus shipping and fees for up to a year after the sale, just in case they finally get back to you, or ending the current listing if it has not sold by then, and they still want it (after which, you invoice for shipping, or even do a Friends and Family request so PayPal doesn't take a cut of the funds that are supposed to be for shipping.

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

@nowthatsjustducky wrote:

@dbmm-media wrote:

Invoice for reshipping or refund minus the initial shipping and your fees

And after 180 days, still keep an open mind to the possiblilty of refunding minus shipping and fees for up to a year after the sale, just in case they finally get back to you, or ending the current listing if it has not sold by then, and they still want it (after which, you invoice for shipping, or even do a Friends and Family request so PayPal doesn't take a cut of the funds that are supposed to be for shipping.

6 months from now that 200.00 computer will be 75.00.

Best to deal with it now so you can reship it or resell it.

Well, when the ball is in the buyer's court as the seller waits to hear from them (or find out they have since become living impaired and thus no contact), there isn't much that can be effectively done without knowing how the buyer wants to handle the situation.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply