cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issuing refund for damage repair

A buyer contacted me saying the item I sold her arrived damaged and would cost $54 to repair. She said she will send a receipt after it is repaired and that she expects me to reimburse for repairs and will consider the matter resolved. She sent no pictures and had not responded to my request for photos. What's the protocol for this?

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

What % of the sale is $54? Did you package it properly and insure?

Ask for photos for your insurance claim.

You could decline and tell her that she only has the option to open a SNAD return case. You would pay for return shipping.

The buyer is effectively altering the item, but ebay does not enforce their item condition on return policy.

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 2 of 14
latest reply

@lizimal wrote:

A buyer contacted me saying the item I sold her arrived damaged and would cost $54 to repair. She said she will send a receipt after it is repaired and that she expects me to reimburse for repairs and will consider the matter resolved. She sent no pictures and had not responded to my request for photos. What's the protocol for this?

I always am a little leary about these types of messages. My usual position is to have them return the item for a refund. 

I would contact her and ask her to provide you with proof of the damage and the repair. Technically she has altered the item and in that case you don't have to accept the return, however this situation is more than a little unusual.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Tell her to send them back and you will give her a full refund

Too many people being dishonest and fishing for partial refunds

Don't be bullied

You'll never see any receipt and if you do it will be fake

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Your little stove?
Agree with eponymous

Did it have insurance?
I would not let her alter this piece 
If it was insured I would ask her again for pictures so you can submit a claim, They don't have to send pictures but Trinton from ebay said if you have a buyer who won't work with you on claims to contact them.
If you didn't insure it I would tell her sorry , please return for refund.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Don't play this buyer's game. Tell her to pack carefully and return for refund. This is an obvious scam.
Message 6 of 14
latest reply

@odditiesandantiquities1  eBay doesn't enforce item condition, and a seller doesn't have the option to decline a SNAD.

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Maybe, but a buyer also doesn't get to demand reimbursement for a repair. They can simply return for refund.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Tell the buyer there will be no consideration without photos of the damage together with a copy of the repair person's written quote for the cost of pairs.

If the seller says his neighbor is going to fix it, tell them to include the name and address of that neighbor because you will sending a 1099 income tax form to them.

"Fly the Big Ones"
Message 9 of 14
latest reply

'Return for refund'

Nothing else need be said.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 10 of 14
latest reply

The buyer cannot have the item repaired and expect you to pay. Save your message from the buyer. Once INAD is filed you will have to call Ebay and they will close in your favor if the item has been altered. Contact your buyer and tell them do not repair it but instead send it back, unless you are OK with reducing the cost. If you purchased insurance tell buyer to save packaging material and a postal inspector will be by their house to pick the item up.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Sorry but Ebay does not allow items to be repaired at the seller's expense; it is within your rights; you are not required to pay for her repairs.  You can tell her that the item is insured, and you will need pictures to open a claim, since it arrived damaged.

Or she can return the item for full refund, with you paying for the return shipping.

Sorry but these are the only Ebay approved options to resolve her issue.

She may change her mind.  

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Seller cannot decline a SNAD is true.

Ebay does not enforce item condition, also true.

Buyer has not had item repaired; she states she will and will send receipt.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

I always am a little leary about these types of messages. My usual position is to have them return the item for a refund. 

I would contact her and ask her to provide you with proof of the damage and the repair. Technically she has altered the item and in that case you don't have to accept the return, however this situation is more than a little unusual.

The first underlines section is from the OP, buyer HAS NOT yet had the item repaired~~thus she HAS NOT altered the item.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply