cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there some reason nobody leaves feedback anymore?

Been on here for 20 years....And up until 5-6 years ago, everyone left feedback. Buyers and sellers. Now, only about one-quarter of them leave feedback, no matter if it's a buyer OR seller.

Even sellers with an actual Ebay Store, who you would think would use the automated feedback tool that gives you feedback the minute you buy.....but they don't anymore.

As for buyers, even if I send them a message saying "Item shipped today, thanks for your business", AND give them positive feedback......I still rarely get any back.  

What changed?  Is it just a generational thing?  

Message 1 of 57
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I think there are many issues with the feedback system...I have been selling on ebay now for over 10 years. I think as a seller in the 10 years I maybe had 2 neutral and 2 negatives in literally 9 years of business.... I have now had 2 negative & 2 neutral in 1 year.. Additionally my positive feedback left % I would say is less then 10%-15%. Back in the day i felt I used to be a lot closer to 50% but each year less and less. I honestly dread these buyers anymore. Many are terrible people. 1 Guy wanted free stuff with his order and freaked then it didn't come despite images and description showing EXACTLY what he was buying. For one reason or another ebay wouldn't remove it. Another person mad, an item took less than 10 days from payment to arrival on their doorstep and another that was mad he couldn't pay outside of ebay and scam me with a check( also didn't want to pay fees). That's just the beginning of the terrible interactions I've had lately. I admit I am not patient with these for lack of a better word, imbeciles. I feel like at one point the amount of positive feedback if people actually left it would 10x the couple bad eggs and you wouldn't notice them.. now because only a couple people a month leave positive feedback it really shines a spotlight on your bad and neutral feedback that is largely not your fault. This system promotes negatives and neutrals and really does not push buyers to leave you feedback... At this point feedback has become something you really dread and just hope you dont get.. if you get it largely its someone who is unhappy or wants to make a story. 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 55 of 57
latest reply
56 REPLIES 56

I get about 1/3 of what I give out I feel most people don't really care about it enough to leave it and it really doesn't impact a business like it used to. The 2008 rule to feedback really ruined the system along with sellers selling items for 1.00 and charging 99.99 bucks to ship 

Message 2 of 57
latest reply

Since buyers can only receive positive feedback, it's not worth much and some sellers won't leave any.

With sellers being able to get a lot of negative and neutral feedback removed, some buyers don't even mess with leaving any.

Have a great day
Message 3 of 57
latest reply

I get some feedback on the items I sell. Some items have no feedback left, but the buyers who don't leave feedback do purchase from me again, so maybe that's positive feedback in itself.

Message 4 of 57
latest reply

I wait for the buyers to leave feedback, before I leave any feedback, since about 6 years ago. I also notice the dramatic decline, since Cel Phones are now used, all the time to order things. ( I still use a Desktop). I am old.

Message 5 of 57
latest reply

I'd think the phone app makes it EASIER to leave feedback. But what do I know....

Message 6 of 57
latest reply

I leave the meaningless buyer feedback once the carrier scans the package.

I get about 20% feedback from buyers. For me it has been that way for quite some time.

Buyers really have no reason to leave feedback unless they are unhappy.

Message 7 of 57
latest reply

Feedback is not that important to most people. Many sellers don’t bother because all a buyer can receive is positive. 
Sellers with stores do have automated feedback it can be left when a buyer pays or when the buyer leaves positive feedback. 

Message 8 of 57
latest reply

Ebay is losing much of what made it such a huge success with sellers & buyers.

Message 9 of 57
latest reply

Because ebay gives them no incentive to. 

Message 10 of 57
latest reply

I disagree.  Sellers feedbacks are actually worth more than buyers.

Sellers can get neutrals and negatives.  Buyers can only get positives.  Only sellers can be hurt by feedback now.  Its also completely unfair but everything here is unwarrantedly biased towards buyers, to the point ebay encourages and protects scammers pretending to be buyers.

Message 11 of 57
latest reply

A lot of buys seem to view feedback as a tipping system. If they feel they got great service, they tip. And even if you give great service 100% of the time, the percentage of people who tip will stay the same.

Message 12 of 57
latest reply

@mn467462 wrote:

Because ebay gives them no incentive to. 

eBay reminds both buyers and sellers to leave FB - and remember FB is completely voluntary. I am wondering what incentive eBay could offer to leave FB?

If I receive my item and I am happy I leave FB, as a seller I will leave FB once the item has arrived to the buyer and there appears to be no issues.

But again - FB is voluntary.

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 13 of 57
latest reply

You raise a good point.  I really believe cell phones are a sigificant factor as to why less feedback is given out.

Message 14 of 57
latest reply

It might but its optional extra time texting, so I think doing it erases the speed buying on the phone gives you.

Message 15 of 57
latest reply